Jeremy Allen White on Superhero Movies: ‘I Am Confused’ by How Superhero Films Became the ‘Pinnacle of an Actor’s Career’

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I think it started with Batman. The role of Batman and Joker became a prestige role. Actors of the caliber of Jack Nicholson, Joaqin Phoenix, Mark Hamill, and Heath Ledger have had the opportunity to play Joker. That's quite an assortment of high profile names. Then there's Batman: Bale, Keaton, Clooney, Affleck. Not just anyone can play Batman. Not just anyone can play Joker especially.

Especially in the case with who plays Joker we always take it seriously because it's considered a coveted and prestige role. Everyone always leaves their own mark and take on the role. I think other heroes have got some of that shine but I don't think they're as prestiged as Batman, Joker, Spider-Man, or Superman.

Essentially the character are iconic. Who wouldn't want to have The Joker on their resume? As an actor he should get this. He's probably just big mad he lost out to a Joker audition.

Kixx

Pro
Daps
I don't even watch these movies anymore. Only superhero movies I check out are the Spiderverse movies. Haven't watched a Marvel or actual Superhero movie in probably close to five years. Never understood why people like them so much. They are all the same. Good guy beats the bad guy in the end and gets the girl.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Kinda vague wording so I dunno what he means. Nobody is looking at a comic movie as the pinnacle of someone's career. I could see maybe if they knock it out the park, like Heath Ledger. But even then most people familiar with his filmography wouldn't say that.

So....yeah. Not sure what he means. People do these movies because they pay well and if your shyt takes off it can pay your bills for years. Maybe he thinks actors should "keep it real" and make less money. I dunno.

Fred.

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
superhero movies are blockbusters. the bubble has popped and now people are tired of the shyt and now they are gonna scramble looking for the next hook.

its easy money to be in marvel you just have to coast stand in front of a blue screen and half ass act. RDJ he didnt know what to do in Oppenheimer cus he was in marvel mode for like 15 years.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
superhero movies are blockbusters. the bubble has popped and now people are tired of the shyt and now they are gonna scramble looking for the next hook.

its easy money to be in marvel you just have to coast stand in front of a blue screen and half ass act. RDJ he didnt know what to do in Oppenheimer cus he was in marvel mode for like 15 years.
thats pretty much it lol

superhero films are just another avenue for blockbuster films in an era where film ideas are dwindling

its series like fast & furious that lasted so long cause its easy to plug in any actor and get the same boxoffice success as the last one

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
I don't even watch these movies anymore. Only superhero movies I check out are the Spiderverse movies. Haven't watched a Marvel or actual Superhero movie in probably close to five years. Never understood why people like them so much. They are all the same. Good guy beats the bad guy in the end and gets the girl.

They always always always work better when animated

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Super hero movies give a young actor a lot of exposure, but it doesn't translate well to other things. Because Chris Evans has been captain America for 10 years, that's what people think of when they see him since his marvel contracts limited how many movies and shows he could be in.

Now that he's out of the contract he's in movies nobody watches like Ghosted and the Gray Man. As an actor nobody really cares about seeing him. If the movie he's in is too good to ignore (like knives out) people will tune in. Marvel is what gave him that boost though. Same with Chris Hemsworth and that other one people claim is racist/Maga affiliated.

It's ironic because Jeremy Allen is someone a lot of people wanted as a potential Peter Parker. Being in a superhero movie is like being on a reality TV show and putting your social media handles under your name. Your profiles will blow up and you can flip that into contracts for future work.

Renegade47

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
North South East West
thats pretty much it lol

superhero films are just another avenue for blockbuster films in an era where film ideas are dwindling

its series like fast & furious that lasted so long cause its easy to plug in any actor and get the same boxoffice success as the last one
I wouldn't say film ideas are dwindling they just dont wanna take risks anymore.

shyt like malignant is fire (nowhere near a good movie but it was funny and entertaining) if it had a box office release i think it would have did well and garnered sequels and shyt.

its not just film its music too business model is to play it as safe as possible and try to maximize profits.

movies like push or the losers or jumper are not coming out today because the risk of them not making 200+ mil over the budget is too high

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
I wouldn't say film ideas are dwindling they just dont wanna take risks anymore.

shyt like malignant is fire (nowhere near a good movie but it was funny and entertaining) if it had a box office release i think it would have did well and garnered sequels and shyt.

its not just film its music too business model is to play it as safe as possible and try to maximize profits.

movies like push or the losers or jumper are not coming out today because the risk of them not making 200+ mil over the budget is too high
good point. Because of woke feminism over the past 6+ years guided film and storytelling

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Super hero movies give a young actor a lot of exposure, but it doesn't translate well to other things. Because Chris Evans has been captain America for 10 years, that's what people think of when they see him since his marvel contracts limited how many movies and shows he could be in.

Now that he's out of the contract he's in movies nobody watches like Ghosted and the Gray Man. As an actor nobody really cares about seeing him. If the movie he's in is too good to ignore (like knives out) people will tune in. Marvel is what gave him that boost though. Same with Chris Hemsworth and that other one people claim is racist/Maga affiliated.

It's ironic because Jeremy Allen is someone a lot of people wanted as a potential Peter Parker. Being in a superhero movie is like being on a reality TV show and putting your social media handles under your name. Your profiles will blow up and you can flip that into contracts for future work.
yeah its a bit of a double edged sword where you get tons of exposure but susceptible to being type-cast

the newer marvel shows i doubt have the kind of power pre-2020. Folks like sebastian stan didnt get much after the winter soldier show

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

Agreed. If you were an up and coming actor or even an OG that's on the tail end of your career, superhero movies offered a steady bag and new/renewed exposure.. even if the success rate of successfully leveraging that exposure was shaky at best.

Hell, the game of thrones alum tried their damnedest to eat off the wave with varying success. i.e. No one really cared about Momoa prior to "Aquabro" but he used the exposure to have a better career than what it was lookin like after that Conan reboot flopped. On the flip side, no one cares/was impressed with the GoT actress that played Jean Grey but at least she had 2-3 movies/pay checks out of it.

Hell, Gadot going from 6th-billed in a Fast n Furious film to "Wonder Woman" gave her what were probably life-changing pay days with those two Netflix movies. Hell, most ppl couldn't name anything Cavill was in prior to "Superman".

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
By being easy to work on, popular and making that actor lots and lots of money?

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Kinda vague wording so I dunno what he means. Nobody is looking at a comic movie as the pinnacle of someone's career. I could see maybe if they knock it out the park, like Heath Ledger. But even then most people familiar with his filmography wouldn't say that.

So....yeah. Not sure what he means. People do these movies because they pay well and if your shyt takes off it can pay your bills for years. Maybe he thinks actors should "keep it real" and make less money. I dunno.

Fred.
Ehhh, don't know about that. Tony Stark is absolutely, indisputably, considered RDJ's pinnacle role. Same with everyone who played Spider-Man. Chris Evans as Cap. etc...happens fairly frequently.

• Dap
Reactions: TNC