Japan’s PC Gaming Market Doubles In Size In 3 Years

rdj

Pro
Daps
  • Corona effects (enlarging the user base of gamers in Japan overall, with the tide also spilling over to the PC)
  • The continued lack of availability of the PS5 in Japan, leading some hardcore users to turn to PCs to play high-fidelity games
  • A growing acceptance of foreign and indie games, which are more accessible and often cheaper on Steam or the Epic store (PUBG was a particularly big driver for Japan’s PC gaming scene around 2017/2018)
  • Improved local PC gaming platforms, i.e. that of DMM that wisely took PUBG to Japan early on (the game moved from DMM to Japan’s Steam store in 2021)
  • Simply more availability of Japan-made PC games, driven by new insight of Japan’s studios such as Capcom (9697) that this platform can be actually very lucrative (Steam in particular is among the standard launch platforms for many Japanese studios nowadays, something very rare just a few years ago)
  • Rare but existing home-grown PC-first hits like Final Fantasy 14 or Kantai Collection
  • The rise of blockchain gaming in Japan (most such games are still computer-only, and Japan has a healthy community of blockchain enthusiasts)
  • Steam has a drastically improved store front for the Japanese audience and expanded its presence (the first iterations several years ago were terrible and didn’t even offer prices in yen, for example – but the usability is now much better, physical Steam top-up cards are available everywhere in Japan etc.)
  • Smartphone hits like Uma Musume from CyberAgent (4751), Memento Mori from Bank Of Innovation (4393) or Heaven Burns Red from GREE (3632) are increasingly present on the PC as well, in some cases on day one etc.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"The rise of blockchain gaming in Japan (most such games are still computer-only, and Japan has a healthy community of blockchain enthusiasts)"

:mjgrin:

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
I remember over the lockdown Apex was damn near the biggest game in Japan.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
if you got a switch and a PC you straight :manny: been saying it for years now
Especially considering almost every Sony exclusive now comes to PC eventually. It’s hard justifying either of Microsoft or Sonys consoles over it if you are a hardcore gamer. Which is what most people here are.

Obviously casual gamers should be getting either of those 2 consoles.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
gaming pc is tempting because I could patiently wait for Sony exclusives and xbox exclusives launch simultaneously. Only downside seems to be cost of one and harder to game on a tv unless i put tower near TV

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
gaming pc is tempting because I could patiently wait for Sony exclusives and xbox exclusives launch simultaneously. Only downside seems to be cost of one and harder to game on a tv unless i put tower near TV

Run a 100ft hdmi cable bruh. It's what i do. With steam big picture it's as easy as a console.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
Also using steam link to play on your TV works well but your option would give best visual/performance

Yea i have quite a few options if i wanted to stream. And they do work well enough. But yea just running a direct hdmi cable gave be the best performance and i have it wired up on the wall so it's not in anyone's way. Works fine for me. I use steam big picture for most of my games and launchbox for emulation.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if you got a switch and a PC you straight :manny: been saying it for years now
Same if you own multiple of any of the big 3 or only 3. Great games everywhere but time is a big factor. I play probably more hours than 75% of y’all and damn once I’m done with one game there’s another to jump on.

Players like me don’t no what a drought is

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
If u like me exclusives might not matter that much to u and pc might be all u need :manny:

We get all ms shyt, Don’t care for Nintendos shyt, don’t care for Sony shyt outside of spidey . I’m straight