Japanese/Tokyo expert travellers please enter here

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Does one need to buy a JR pass in order to purchase a Bullet train ticket to Kyoto from Tokyo?

Or can one just purchase an individual ticket (round trip journey) for Bullet train ?

Arigato
Good question. I thought you needed to purchase the jr pass too. We woke up to late and didn't wind up going, but I wanted to see that black castle out the

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Does one need to buy a JR pass in order to purchase a Bullet train ticket to Kyoto from Tokyo?

Or can one just purchase an individual ticket (round trip journey) for Bullet train ?

Arigato
Don't you be over there cheating on me! I'll come through Tokyo like Godzilla
Godzilla Destroy GIF - Godzilla Destroy Ruins GIFs

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
It’s not worth it anymore if you’re going to a single city round trip. Last year they upped the price where it doesn’t make sense for foreigners unless you’re there a month hitting up multiple cities.

EDIT: No you don’t need a JR Pass to buy a Shinkansen. Just go to any of the Shinkansen stations to reserve your seats. The earlier the better.

Last edited:

Mister Terrific

It’s in the name
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Arigato
I never buy a jr pass. Just buy a ticket and you’re straight. Put it in the pouch in front of you on the train and they’ll come around to stamp it

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps

Arigato​

From what I've gathered along with havhing chats with friends who've either lived or travelled up there, if you're staying DIREECTLY in Tokyo. You can do without it, since it would be pound for pound cheaper to just hop the train lines when needed as opposed to buying the rail pass, which has gone up exponentially in price compared to what it was before.
Tokyo has so much shyt to do that you can base your whole stay there, so it wouldn't be THAT necessary, but if you travelling to other prefectures and places OUTSIDE of Tokyo, then a Rail pass would save you a bit of coin if you trying to be frugal, but that's only if you really hate catching quick flights, which might work out cheaper in the long run.
So it depends on what you doing and how far away you gonna be doing it in.​

Last edited:

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Just want to see Kyoto for a day, that's all. I'll be in Tokyo majority of my visit.

:russ: Bruh don’t do that it takes 3 hrs minimum to get to Kyoto that’s not including time to the station and getting to your spot. Depending on what time your leave your whole day is gone. Do at least two days.