James Gunn wants to tie future DC game releases into movie continuity

Daps
You would have to have a whole phase laid out well in advance, like be looking a decade down the road and start teams on development now to drop a Superman game between the Superman movie in 2030 and the Supergirl movie in 2033. Which means that you'd need at least script outlines for everything, games and movies, so that you could at least place a narrative structure around everything.

It's incredibly challenging, but doable if you have a long-term plan in place and confidence that your leadership won't be rocking the boat randomly because of shareholder pressure or whatever, but WB leadership doesn't give me faith that they have any idea what the fukk they're doing. David Zaslav probably doesn't even know what day it is.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You would have to have a whole phase laid out well in advance, like be looking a decade down the road and start teams on development now to drop a Superman game between the Superman movie in 2030 and the Supergirl movie in 2033. Which means that you'd need at least script outlines for everything, games and movies, so that you could at least place a narrative structure around everything.

It's incredibly challenging, but doable if you have a long-term plan in place and confidence that your leadership won't be rocking the boat randomly because of shareholder pressure or whatever, but WB leadership doesn't give me faith that they have any idea what the fukk they're doing. David Zaslav probably doesn't even know what day it is.

Too many variables with delays, layoffs, economic conditions, what the platform holders are doing, actor contracts and how they would need to be negotiated between gaming and movies, writers strike,etc. etc.

Marvel just had to delay their entire line up of movies. Imagine the chaos that would throw into game studios making games to tie into the movies?

Daps
The most doable thing would be to tie games in retroactively. Tell Monolith or Rocksteady, "You're doing a Batman game that will be set between two Batman movies and tell this part of that overall Batman story" and then if the game comes out later than the second Batman movie, it is what it is, you just market it as a look back at what happened between both movies.

But trying to time it out release-wise is probably impossible for all the reasons that you mentioned, yeah.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The most doable thing would be to tie games in retroactively. Tell Monolith or Rocksteady, "You're doing a Batman game that will be set between two Batman movies and tell this part of that overall Batman story" and then if the game comes out later than the second Batman movie, it is what it is, you just market it as a look back at what happened between both movies.

But trying to time it out release-wise is probably impossible for all the reasons that you mentioned, yeah.

It also kind of dates the game in a bad way. The great thing about rocksteadys arkham games is that they are original stories for the game universe.

Imagine playing a super-man game right now with Henry Cavills face, or Ben afflecks face as Batman.

Daps
It also kind of dates the game in a bad way. The great thing about rocksteadys arkham games is that they are original stories for the game universe.

Imagine playing a super-man game right now with Henry Cavills face, or Ben afflecks face as Batman.
I think you're 100% right and the games should stay in their own universe. I'm gaming out how Gunn's plan could be done, and even if it could, yeah, it's not really what anyone wants from these games.

MrLogic

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cash
I think that's a dumb move.

dc movies suck
marvel ain't no better

other words I prefer to play a standalone dc/marvel game not tide to any crap hollywood vomits out.