john-lackey-frick.gif

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
You’re missing out. Midnight Suns is arguably a better game than xcom for me
I get that but i would wager there are alot of people that feel the same way as i do. If the game did not have the card mechanic i would of purchased it. There have been several games i have been interested that had card mechanics and that killed my interest.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Studio Lead, Steve Martin also leaves

Firaxis is done, this is why game sales are important. :francis:
Uh no so here's the thing

Firaxis/Xcom was *always* at this crossroads. I said it in the beginning of the Marvel Midnight Suns thread - my biggest hesitation regarding that game was that it was clearly going to be their cashout point after Chimera/WoTC.

Xcom 3 was never happening because 2k wasn't going to stand up another tentpole like that when they just barely managed Xcom 2 (even though it was successful). Jake knew it. The Civ guys knew it and have been poaching guys for years too.
Damn, I never got around to Midnight Suns but heard that it unperformed...

The XCom reboot last gen and War of the Chosen were incredible games
So look it like this. War of The Chosen dropped when?

The space for Xcom 3 has been there for ages and instead of pushing forward there, they aloted space for Chimera and one of the secondary leads to try their hand at a much smaller framework of a game within an existing universe/IP.

The writing was on the wall for a while regarding Jake and crew - which isn't bad because honestly they should've moved on to bigger and better things years ago. I don't know how Firaxis retained them as long as they did. The Marvel check was just transition money lol

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Damn, I never got around to Midnight Suns but heard that it unperformed...

The XCom reboot last gen and War of the Chosen were incredible games

Overall Marvel has dropped the ball with damn near every Console Game they've tried since Disney took over :snoop:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Uh no so here's the thing

Firaxis/Xcom was *always* at this crossroads. I said it in the beginning of the Marvel Midnight Suns thread - my biggest hesitation regarding that game was that it was clearly going to be their cashout point after Chimera/WoTC.

Xcom 3 was never happening because 2k wasn't going to stand up another tentpole like that when they just barely managed Xcom 2 (even though it was successful). Jake knew it. The Civ guys knew it and have been poaching guys for years too.

So look it like this. War of The Chosen dropped when?

The space for Xcom 3 has been there for ages and instead of pushing forward there, they aloted space for Chimera and one of the secondary leads to try their hand at a much smaller framework of a game within an existing universe/IP.

The writing was on the wall for a while regarding Jake and crew - which isn't bad because honestly they should've moved on to bigger and better things years ago. I don't know how Firaxis retained them as long as they did. The Marvel check was just transition money lol
Wasn't aware of all that, thanks for the insight

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Overall Marvel has dropped the ball with damn near every Console Game they've tried since Disney took over :snoop:
they don't get nearly enough heat for marvel v capcom infinite. scrapping that *and* stiff arming the community was some other shyt
But how did they drop the ball when the game is good and reviewed well?
its extremely unlikely that the card based stuff came from a studio that *never* did that previously

and its also a failure to understand the market

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
they don't get nearly enough heat for marvel v capcom infinite. scrapping that *and* stiff arming the community was some other shyt

its extremely unlikely that the card based stuff came from a studio that *never* did that previously

and its also a failure to understand the market

Well then people can’t complain about “ubisoft” style games taking over (or AAA being stagnant) if they’re unwilling to give anything else a chance to succeed.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
I get that but i would wager there are alot of people that feel the same way as i do. If the game did not have the card mechanic i would of purchased it. There have been several games i have been interested that had card mechanics and that killed my interest.
I felt the same way completely until one of my friends who also felt the same way ended up getting it and loving it. Then I bought it and it’s prob my 2022 GOTY. Still don’t like the idea of card games lol but it works really well in that game.