It Was Written vs In My Lifetime Vol 1

Family Man

Banned
Daps
I'm tired of this revisionist history bullshyt.

Back then Jay got CLOWNED for tracks like Sunshine and that Lil Kim and Puffy shyt :what: (I don't even remember the name of it because I always skip that shyt).

Nas got some hate from the Illmatic crowd for going "commercial" but he was still respected as an MC.

Jay is top 5 all time and Vol.1 had some classic tracks but on that album he showed early signs of his trend hopping tendencies (Jiggy/Badboy era). He hopped on the next trend (Ruff Ryder era) the right way and came back strong with Vol.2 (as far as respect and acceptance), though. Can't hate on the man for trying to be relevant but it def did backfire on him back in 97.

Exactly..These internet fakkits/dikkriders are disgusting. Back when both albums were out no one even compared them because there was no comparison. Volume 1 was panned and even Jay-Z said it was his least favorite of his albums.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I'm tired of this revisionist history bullshyt.

Back then Jay got CLOWNED for tracks like Sunshine and that Lil Kim and Puffy shyt :what: (I don't even remember the name of it because I always skip that shyt).

Nas got some hate from the Illmatic crowd for going "commercial" but he was still respected as an MC.

Jay is top 5 all time and Vol.1 had some classic tracks but on that album he showed early signs of his trend hopping tendencies (Jiggy/Badboy era). He hopped on the next trend (Ruff Ryder era) the right way and came back strong with Vol.2 (as far as respect and acceptance), though. Can't hate on the man for trying to be relevant but it def did backfire on him back in 97.

You really wanna talk about revisionist bullshyt? It Was Written got shytted on, a let down, sellout moves, and the start of Nas going from street poet to doing anything that sold records.

Vol.1 followed by Vol.2 labelled Jay-z the new king of rap after Pac and Big passed.

However It was written was/is probably better.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jay easily. You scrap the blatantly offensive commercial tracks and you're left with the second best Jay album.
I agree with it being Jays second best album minus the commercial stuff. even then Imaginary Player is a dope commercial track. Thats Jay at his best for me.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
That's when Jay was my favorite MC. that few year run after he killed with Reasonable Doubt up until Vol. 2 which is where he lost me. I remember he had like 5 songs in the 8 at 8.

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
The only way these two albums are comparable is that they're both each artists second album, as far as quality, IWW is leaps ahead of Vol.1, a better comparison is IWW vs Reasonable Doubt, this is like comparing Blueprint vs I am...

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
EDIT: wrong poster

"The City Is Mine", "I Know What Girls Like", & "(Always Be My) Sunshine" are some of the worst Jigga songs ever. That being said, Vol. 1 also has some of Jay's greatest songs, "Imaginary Player", "Streets Is Watching", "Where I'm From" :noah: but as an album overall I'd say it's not even top 5 for Jigga. The Puffy-esque songs fukked up the flow of the album for me.

and to whoever said Jay himself can't listen to it, it's probably because he shouts out Nas (refers to The Firm on "Sunshine" & puts him in his top 3 on "Where I'm From") & samples him on "Rap Game/Crack Game" :smugfavre:

scarhead

All Star
Daps
You really wanna talk about revisionist bullshyt? It Was Written got shytted on, a let down, sellout moves, and the start of Nas going from street poet to doing anything that sold records.

Vol.1 followed by Vol.2 labelled Jay-z the new king of rap after Pac and Big passed.

However It was written was/is probably better.

Nas did anything to sell records?
Dude, Jay shot a fisheye lens technicolor video with back up dancers for Sunshine. His tribute to Big was a failed attempt at newjackswing.

Tell me what's worse.
Nas had a pink suit in Street Dreams video and got hated for it.
Jay wore a shiny satin-like green suit in Sunshine video and got clowned.
hated and clowned are two diff things.

Look at it this way too.
Nas put Foxy on Affirmative Action.
Jay put Foxy on Sunshine.
Same hot female rapper - two diff ways in utilizing her popularity.

That said, Vol.1 is still a great album.
It just is a level below IWW.

Never Broke Again

Save stuff for the 2020 Posty's
Daps
Reppin
DC
vol 1 is clearly better than i am

both are all over the place sound wise with these whack ass mainstream tracks and have some gems

vol 1 and i am are in the same league, it was written is by far superior to both

iHiphop86

Highly Effective Educator.
Daps
Reppin
The road less traveled.
I personally think Jay-z is an overall better rapper than NaS but I laugh at this comparison me and jay both think Vol 1 is his worst album. IWW had tracks for days IMO I think it depends on your taste as IWW was more jazzy vs Vol 1 being more 80s beats like.