IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
That is the original price. But with the promotion code you can purchase testout lab for 89.00 and keep the lab for three years. Groupon is cheaper but their lab expire in one year.
A year is a long time, just gotta put in the work

semtex

:)
Daps
Man object oriented design is deep I be just sittin there like
1z3ze46.png

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
Yeah I'm a senior. I didn't realize there was so much theory behind good and bad OO design. We are getting really deep into all of the principles of OO design
Yeah I'm a senior. I didn't realize there was so much theory behind good and bad OO design. We are getting really deep into all of the principles of OO design
It's a lot more interesting when you apply it to your own projects that you're working on

Pain

Rookie
Daps
So I just got done with my first week of internship at a new company as a tech 2 desktop support, really nice crew who wanna help me grow as an individual. The first week was basic, reimaging laptops, changing hardware, fixing printers, responding to tickets and this week I will be doing mobile phones. I can see myself doing this while I study for CCNA material or look into programming as the task is not really demanding.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Brehs, how do y'all learn technology best these days?

I rarely ever pick up a book anymore (unless it's for a super-quick reference and even then I'll likely just search online for what I need). Recently, when learning a new technology, I've been finding tutorials on YouTube or other learning sites like Lynda.com or Pluralsight.com and just go from there. And when watching the video training, I usually speed the videos up to about 1.5 so I can get through that shyt quicker (gotta maximize my time).

I found doing this has increased my learning capability greatly...Am i the only that do this?

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW

I rarely ever pick up a book anymore (unless it's for a super-quick reference and even then I'll likely just search online for what I need). Recently, when learning a new technology, I've been finding tutorials on YouTube or other learning sites like Lynda.com or Pluralsight.com and just go from there. And when watching the video training, I usually speed the videos up to about 1.5 so I can get through that shyt quicker (gotta maximize my time).

I found doing this has increased my learning capability greatly...Am i the only that do this?

Depends on where you are in your career...

If you are just starting out, helpdesk, desktop support, then you can learn a lot by watching videos...as you get more specialized and knowledgeable however, you get to the point that you only learn by doing...

If you are really serious about IT, and I mean you look at it as a career not a job, you should have your own lab for whatever discipline you are in...I work in Virtualization and I spent about 5500 on a lab to study for my VCP and VCAP...and a lot of people would say "that is stupid why are you spending your hard earned money on a lab, your company should be paying you for training..."...but...that 5500 I spent in what...2010...took my salary from low 50's to a bit over a 100k...no way my salary jumps that high without my lab... The in depth knowledge I gained on the subject matter is knowledge you can only gain by actually configuring and troubleshooting it

Pain

Rookie
Daps
@duckbutta , how soon is too soon? I am into my 4th day as an intern (desktop support), I wanna break into networking when the time is right, so I should start setting up my own lab or wait til I am settled in.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
@duckbutta , how soon is too soon? I am into my 4th day as an intern (desktop support), I wanna break into networking when the time is right, so I should start setting up my own lab or wait til I am settled in.

As soon as you make the decision that networking is what you want to do. It would definitely be to soon for you to bring it up at work, but the second you know that is what you want to do, start looking around to see what physical equipment you can get. Cisco has a of switch and firewall emulators on their website...

Then, after say maybe a year...you talk to the network guys at your job and you hit them with "so i set up a lab to do blah blah blah and what I don't understand is blah you think you could give me some pointers..."

They will be like "so you set up your own lab huh :ohhh:"

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

I've done best by reading. I find videos go too slow for my liking and it's a lot easier to experiment having a book/kindle. i can just look down at the kindle, look up at the monitor/television, and then type in code.