Is this punishment too extreme?

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
You shouldn't do this to your kid. You should find out why your kid is doing bad in school and solve the issue.

With that being said, lil man is clean. You see the fade going into the fro? :wow:

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
I think parents come from a place of, old school values, (my parents did it so i will too) life lessons, and things they either wanted to do or not have done as a parent.

Parents are also the foundation, if the child is cutting up you have to check yourself first to see what are you allowing

But i disagree about what you do shows a child how to deal with issues, as far as the embarrassment, shyt my mom whooped me, i grew up and knew i don’t whoop people to get them to conform to what i want, it served as a consequence to my actions.

I think you have to teach your child, not just punish, otherwise you are no different than the prison system

Outside of the realm of parenting, though, when does getting an ass whooping ever serve as a natural consequence to messing up? Aside from someone getting beat down as a consequence of hitting the other person first or pissing off an e emotionally unstable person, in what typical situation might one find themselves on the receiving end of physical violence as a consequence of something they did? Not only that, where who would stay and accept the violence without trying to defend themselves as we are naturally programmed to do?

I won't assume you are like me but I grew up getting was whoopings, too, but my mother has told me as an adult she did it because she wanted to put fear in me in order to stop me from doing whatever it was I was doing at the time. Looking back, it's crazy to me a parent will whoop a child and expect them to take it (i.e. my mother would get angry if I ran, as if standing there and taking lashes was easy and desired, and I certainly was not allowed to voice my displeasure during the event). We wouldn't even expect it from an another adult and we do things to our kids we wouldn't do to another grown person.

Now that I am a parent, I can admit I have thought of using a whooping but it never registers as logical because there is nothing to be gained from it hitting my kids. I cant think of a situation where I felt more respect, honor or admiratiob for a person who hit me to demand their respect.

Lastly, I just wanted to say I think a lot of the reward-punishment methods parents use create fukked up programming in us as adults anyway. A simple example would be this - over the jobs you've had (assuming you are an adult), how many coworkers have you had who were completely self-motivated by a sense of pride and integrity to do their job well vs only doing it well because it meant they might get more money or not to risk getting fired? Raising kids to look within and teaching them how to evaluate their actions vs conditioning them to always look outside for validation and instruction from others and responding to outside threats/promises would seem to be the better way to produce adults who can truly be self-accountable....but the amount of introspection and improvement required on the part of the parent would be a lot.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Outside of the realm of parenting, though, when does getting an ass whooping ever serve as a natural consequence to messing up? Aside from someone getting beat down as a consequence of hitting the other person first or pissing off an e emotionally unstable person, in what typical situation might one find themselves on the receiving end of physical violence as a consequence of something they did? Not only that, where who would stay and accept the violence without trying to defend themselves as we are naturally programmed to do?

I won't assume you are like me but I grew up getting was whoopings, too, but my mother has told me as an adult she did it because she wanted to put fear in me in order to stop me from doing whatever it was I was doing at the time. Looking back, it's crazy to me a parent will whoop a child and expect them to take it (i.e. my mother would get angry if I ran, as if standing there and taking lashes was easy and desired, and I certainly was not allowed to voice my displeasure during the event). We wouldn't even expect it from an another adult and we do things to our kids we wouldn't do to another grown person.

Now that I am a parent, I can admit I have thought of using a whooping but it never registers as logical because there is nothing to be gained from it hitting my kids. I cant think of a situation where I felt more respect, honor or admiratiob for a person who hit me to demand their respect.

Lastly, I just wanted to say I think a lot of the reward-punishment methods parents use create fukked up programming in us as adults anyway. A simple example would be this - over the jobs you've had (assuming you are an adult), how many coworkers have you had who were completely self-motivated by a sense of pride and integrity to do their job well vs only doing it well because it meant they might get more money or not to risk getting fired? Raising kids to look within and teaching them how to evaluate their actions vs conditioning them to always look outside for validation and instruction from others and responding to outside threats/promises would seem to be the better way to produce adults who can truly be self-accountable....but the amount of introspection and improvement required on the part of the parent would be a lot.

I don’t think the whoopings are a clear end all be all to rearing your child, but i think it just teaches us every action has consequence, and I’ll stick to that, and every ass whooping i got i earned.

As far as working and motivation
At the end of the day, most are motivated by the fear of being broke, being in prison or getting your ass kicked, or to get more money

Abuchunky

Banned
Daps
man this is fukked up if they made the young breh go to school like this :mjlol: