Is this punishment too extreme?

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
This trend of shaving kids hair to humiliate them as punishment. They gave Lil dude the George Jefferson :mjcry:. This one of those punishments that make you wish you got the belt instead.

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
I think humiliating your kids for misbehaving is a short-term solution and does nothing to fortify the parent-child relationship...not in a positive way.

If you think of parenting actions in terms of tools in a toolbox, then by using humiliation as a tool on a kid to get him to act right, you are teaching your child to use the same method later in life to get someone to act right.

IMO, many of us as black parents come from this place of anger and control, demanding undue respect on strength of just being the parent and then act loathly to lavish our kids with the unconditional love and affection and concern they really need to survive and develop. Many of us think we are better role models than we are and don't check ourselves first, as any effective leader ought to.

I personally think when your kid is fukking up in your eyes, the first person you need to fix 99.9% of the time is yourself, not the child.

There will be many opportunities life will naturally afford any person to be humiliated in some way and we can learn then how to rise to that occasion. However, I don't think creating the same opportunity for my child, as a parent, does anything to earn my child's respect....and without my child's respect, I cannot really influence him in a way that might want or need to later on.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
I think humiliating your kids for misbehaving is a short-term solution and does nothing to fortify the parent-child relationship...not in a positive way.

If you think of parenting actions in terms of tools in a toolbox, then by using humiliation as a tool on a kid to get him to act right, you are teaching your child to use the same method later in life to get someone to act right.

IMO, many of us as black parents come from this place of anger and control, demanding undue respect on strength of just being the parent and then act loathly to lavish our kids with the unconditional love and affection and concern they really need to survive and develop. Many of us think we are better role models than we are and don't check ourselves first, as any effective leader ought to.

I personally think when your kid is fukking up in your eyes, the first person you need to fix 99.9% of the time is yourself, not the child.

There will be many opportunities life will naturally afford any person to be humiliated in some way and we can learn then how to rise to that occasion. However, I don't think creating the same opportunity for my child, as a parent, does anything to earn my child's respect....and without my child's respect, I cannot really influence him in a way that might want or need to later on.

I think parents come from a place of, old school values, (my parents did it so i will too) life lessons, and things they either wanted to do or not have done as a parent.

Parents are also the foundation, if the child is cutting up you have to check yourself first to see what are you allowing

But i disagree about what you do shows a child how to deal with issues, as far as the embarrassment, shyt my mom whooped me, i grew up and knew i don’t whoop people to get them to conform to what i want, it served as a consequence to my actions.

I think you have to teach your child, not just punish, otherwise you are no different than the prison system

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I think it’s better than hitting a child. If I was the kid, I’m going to a friend’s house ASAP and getting rid of the rest.

Problem solved, right? :patrice:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Dont come crying when your kid getting bullied.

Dont come crying when he cant focus on his grades cause his feelings hurt and he's lonely at school and has low self esteem

Dont come crying when the teacher say he's acting out to make friends.

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
Although these humiliation tactics probably mean well on the parents behalf and some kids later grow to understand that it was necessary but then there's some kids who while growing up start to despise and hate their own parents, especially during adulthood why you think we see all these stories of grown adults (hell even teens) killing their own parents and it's not necessary because they weren't receiving discipline shyt I'm sure many of y'all heard or seen the movie Children Of The Corn it might be a movie ijs:manny: but since I have no kids it's not my problem so carry on.