☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Yeah I understand the whole economics behind it, it's just amazing that a sport that is actually the LEAST elitist worlwide was made elitist in the US. I saw "made" because we all know soccer is not "organic" to the US, so in a sense it was "imported", so yeah whoever decided to "import" it decided who was gonna be playing and who wasn't, indeed as you say in the bolded.
Well look at cricket. That would only thrive in the USA if there was a community to support it. It’s not going to spontaneously pop up here.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Well look at cricket. That would only thrive in the USA if there was a community to support it. It’s not going to spontaneously pop up here.

I know, I'm agreeing with you breh.

As I said, the point is that football is the most widespread sport in the world and the most accessible everywhere, so to see it made elitist anywhere is strange as hell for someone who lived in Africa and Europe :yeshrug:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
How can you make the most-played sport worlwide elitist ? :gucci::dwillhuh::francis:

It's not elitist. The barriers of entry are a pair of cleats and shin guards. Every public and private school I've gone to has had a soccer team.

Not sure why these guys are acting like it's hockey, golf, or horse jumping.

:mjlol:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
It's not elitist. The barriers of entry are a pair of cleats and shin guards. Every public and private school I've gone to has had a soccer team.

The biggest barrier I saw is brehs weren't trying to pass that fitness test -- 2 miles in 12 minutes. :russ:

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
I had all the opportunities in the world to play soccer. They offered it at my middle school and high school. I just wasn't interested in the sport. Basketball and football are just more enjoyable to me.

Soccer is like baseball to me. Boring as hell.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
Good topic OP.

And yes the US futbol system is elitist.

Imagine if all the young kids who weren't good enough for basketball or football were able to focus their skills and athleticism to soccer. The issue is, the succeed in soccer, you have to had started playing at a very young age. However, as long as football, basketball and baseball continue to be the major sports in the US, it will be difficult to generate the same interest in soccer in young kids at 5, 6, 7 years old.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal

I had all the opportunities in the world to play soccer. They offered it at my middle school and high school. I just wasn't interested in the sport. Basketball and football are just more enjoyable to me.

Soccer is like baseball to me. Boring as hell.
this particular topic is about elite talent development. yes anyone can play soccer in america at minimal costs, but that's just for a run about and some exercise. it's not going to develop anyone into an elite player. the real training (and still not up to the standards that professional clubs are offering overseas) costs big money and that's what US soccer is and should be concerned about.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
this particular topic is about elite talent development. yes anyone can play soccer in america at minimal costs, but that's just for a run about and some exercise. it's not going to develop anyone into an elite player. the real training (and still not up to the standards that professional clubs are offering overseas) costs big money and that's what US soccer is and should be concerned about.

I somewhat agree with that. But you still have to get black kids to be interested in the sport period. For instance, my lil bro plays AAU basketball and wants to play baseball since my parents won't allow him to play football anymore. When I asked him about soccer he looked at me like I was crazy. Is it like a chicken and egg scenario? What comes first, funding or interest?

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
I somewhat agree with that. But you still have to get black kids to be interested in the sport period. For instance, my lil bro plays AAU basketball and wants to play baseball since my parents won't allow him to play football anymore. When I asked him about soccer he looked at me like I was crazy. Is it like a chicken and egg scenario? What comes first, funding or interest?
funding comes first, you can "encourage" interest. thierry henry didn't want to join his local club and train because he didn't really like football, his dad made him go. he had access to coaching and great facilities even though he was poor.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
US football teams suck tho :russ: This article is wrong I would not say it is elitist I would say more Americans do not have an interest in football compared to the rest of the world..

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Meh, black kids just don't care about soccer. If they did, you would see a lot more black players at the pro level. Same with baseball to a lesser extent.

Not everything is a result of racism.
:mjlol: bro have you seen the pro football teams? they're full of color :skip:

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
No more racist than Europe when the French club wanted to establish a 30% quota a few years ago due to overrepresentation of African and Arab players. People with capital are able to put their kids in camps and other programs to build skills. People with capital in American are White. Also, in the modern age, data analytics is the biggest thing where wealthier parents, teams and coaches have awareness and access to proprietary apps that monitor stats real time and pick teams based on strength, akin to recent public apps like StatNation for rugby. Middle class people are not aware of which leads to competitive disadvantage for the kids in the barrio at the park on their spare time or the ones from the hood (the fortunate ones whose parents can think beyond high school football and aau basketball recruiters). Exposure is everything.

My black friends who played tennis, golf, lacrosse, rugby, swimming, gymnastics and soccer were from upper-middle class households whose parents were on that :mjpls: like my dad or immigrants.
One mile 6:30 to make the team:lolbron:.

:mjgrin: I wasn't gonna make that happen

The biggest barrier I saw is brehs weren't trying to pass that fitness test -- 2 miles in 12 minutes. :russ:

Aside: Majority the sprinters on our track team were black and the cross country runners were White, one mixed black dude. I never understood this but seemed to be a pattern throughout our area since we qualified for regional and states every year. Coach used to run with the players back in the day and elder years chased them with his car. I lettered in field events; all strength and no cardiovascular endurance :myman: :wow::flabbynsick: so I can't even talk shyt.