Is the "likeability" of main or supporting characters important for you to enjoy a show/film?

Likeability.....

• doesn't matter. Just make the story good and I'll enjoy.

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • matters. What's the point of watching if I don't have anyone to root for?

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Not the actual actor, but the CHARACTER AND THEIR ARC

I see this term thrown around a lot in various discussions and comment sections regarding shows and films.....

I'm curious how y'all feel about how you prefer to see your characters in your favorite films and shows.

Last edited:

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Doesn't matter to me. I enjoyed Succession and I hated all of the main characters.

I mean they were terrible people and there's no way I could root for either of them to succeed in life. I do enjoy that the characters made decisions that seemed like the people they've been throughout the show.

ALTRUISM

"My enemy is a notion, not a nation."
Daps
It largely depends on what kind of story is being told. In a superhero movie, for example, it's almost mandatory. In a series like Sopranos? Not really. The viewer/audience liking Tony and the crew is just a byproduct of spending so much time and mainly seeing things from their perspective. They're not meant to be admirable or liked by definition. As for me, it doesn't matter much, but we all have different levels of tolerance and what we'd like/dislike in characters just like people in real life.

The character in my AVI, Connor, isn't necessarily "likable" in the instantly gratifying action lead sense, but his background, backstory, and circumstances don't necessarily call for that kind of character for a multitude of reasons, so all of that also plays a factor as well.

Last edited:

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
Why would I watçh a show if I don't like the acting?

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Just have good story telling....and if they happen to make an unlikable character that's some good writing/acting.

BttF is my fave film series...and biff was a giant sexual assaulting a$$hole

House is one of my fave shows when it was on, and while he was brilliant, he is unlikable

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Doesn't matter to me as long as it's entertaining.

One of my favorite book series is pretty much made up of heels.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
I need to care about their goal for sure. I don't need to like the character per se. Whatever they are struggling with has to be convincing though.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Engagement is the optimal word and deciding factor for me.

Homelander by design isn't "likeable" but anytime he's on screen he keeps you on edge or in suspense. Goku is an uneducated unemployed borderline deadbeat dad of an idiot but his fish out of water personality + Rocky Balboa vibes keeps you engaged.

In theory, none of the characters can be likable but if at least a few are engaging, that keeps your attention. If none are engaging then even a likable one will just become a boring cookie cutter trope.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I think saying do the characters connect is better than saying likeability.

When you think of Likeable it automatically makes your think of good fair wholesome things.

06dd0a5b108cb47ae3ba8764c45fade8.jpg

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
It depends to a degree.

I’ll give one example. Phoebe Waller-Bridge. I disliked her character on Fleabag; or maybe just how she depicted “sexually liberated” women and their attitude.

Like, she came off like she was trying to be a dude that’s an a$$hole, like the female Alfie. I just don’t really run into too many women that, when embracing that sexual lifestyle, that try to come off as the brazen hard type.

Either way, show was interesting enough to keep me watching that whole season as there were other aspect of her story that made me interested to see, like the friend who died and her relationship between her sister.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Not the actual actor, but the CHARACTER AND THEIR ARC

I see this term thrown around a lot in various discussions and comment sections regarding shows and films.....

I'm curious how y'all feel about how you prefer to see your characters in your favorite films and shows.

Succession
- they all suck, just suck in different ways. There's no one to root for to win, but it's compelling because there are so many one-liners and betrayals.

I'm trying to think of some prestige TV that I watched, that I didn't like the "hero" but also thought the "villain" was the worst...

Hannibal - Didn't like the FBI guy, and Hannibal/Serial Killer of the Week was gross/terrifying.

I liked WW, Tony Soprano, Don Draper, Rayland Givens/Boyd Crowder, Stringer Bell/Marlo, etc.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont need to like characters but they do need to be entertaining to watch like for example It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia all the main characters are horrible people Dennis being the worst of all:demonic: but it is entertaining to watch them get into fukkery :russ:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I will say I don't have to like the main character but I do have to like somebody or it does kinda bring my enjoyment down.
Sopranos for instance I did not like Tony overall but I did like Chris. Not that one is more morally upstanding but it was just a charisma thing.