Is the Battle Royale genre the peak of PvP online gaming?

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
I can't say the Sports PvP is better because it's literally pay to win.

But what other kind of genre could possibly outclass Battle Royale as far as online PvP?

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Battle Royale is everything wrong with online gaming.

Convincing everyone you dont need respawns and you need to make friends online (bully ppl) is why I quit gaming.

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
no it sucks

this was the peak

dust_2.jpg

:blessed::flabbynsick:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
As controversial as BRs are, they definitely are the peak of PVP gaming right now.

Usually its the F2P elements that make these games annoying - where they're always trying to rinse you with overpriced (sometimes P2W) cosmetics, stringing you along with a steady drip feed of content, and a constantly changing meta just for the sake of shaking up the table. The constant clashing of art styles and themes is annoying too where if you log into Fortnite today, you might end up in a squad with Chun Li, Venom and some cell shaded big tiddy anime bytch. I have yet to see proper (not frustrating) SBMM working in a BR game too.

BRs mix tons of different gameplay styles into one from regular degular no respawn TDM-esque combat with the option of opting into objective based gameplay via missions / challenges / or any PVE stuff. There's even stealth elements when you're outnumbered and trying to get around a squad to revive the rest of your team or just set up a third party ambush. Obviously you have the open-world nature of the game too, where you're looting and fabricating better gear to max your loadout while travelling across a huge map. The variety of gameplay in a single BR match trumps most other types of shooters that may focus on one or two niches - which also is a big reason why most other MPs die out after a couple months post release and only the BR games seem to last.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
The variety of gameplay in a single BR match trumps most other types of shooters that may focus on one or two niches - which also is a big reason why most other MPs die out after a couple months post release and only the BR games seem to last.
I'm curious if GTA 6 will mostly stick with their GTA V online formula or try to make a big change. They definitely have the potential to shift the whole culture depending on what they do online wise, for better or worse.

I feel like the only way to go up goes back to your point of BR having multiple gameplay styles. A metaverse type game where you can go into a shooter mode, a sports game mode or an adventure mode based on a class you pick and forces you to work with the other classes to stay alive or make in-game progress.

For example, if you choose the sports class you would have to have to work with the shooter class to protect you from getting robbed, killed or extorted. All with RPG elements of course.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
I'm curious if GTA 6 will mostly stick with their GTA V online formula or try to make a big change. They definitely have the potential to shift the whole culture depending on what they do online wise, for better or worse.

I feel like the only way to go up goes back to your point of BR having multiple gameplay styles. A metaverse type game where you can go into a shooter mode, a sports game mode or an adventure mode based on a class you pick and forces you to work with the other classes to stay alive or make in-game progress.

For example, if you choose the sports class you would have to have to work with the shooter class to protect you from getting robbed, killed or extorted. All with RPG elements of course.
:yeshrug:Rockstar recently bought the biggest RP sever team. So GTA6 online gots something ups its sleeve.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
the thing about BR is it’s pretty much its on genre at this point, theres a lot of variety within it. You can be fortnite or tarkov

If someone can figure out how to make MOBA’s palatable to console gamers they might have a hit on their hands

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
there's like 3-5 battle royale games that are doing well and comfortably self-sustaining right now

there was a mad rush to slap together any theme you could to a BR template and its been over for about two years now.