NewWaveEra

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well mixed and mastered albums...

Common - Like Water For Chocolate
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Slum Village - Detroit Deli (A Taste Of Detroit)
NWA - nikkaz4Life
Nas - It Was Written
The Notorious BIG - Ready To Die
Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
7 Day Theory wasn't a very well mixed album at all. Album is not ruined or anything. But there is distortion & some tracks are louder than others.

Restless by Xzibit is mixed nicely.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
i mean it was mixed well for what it was...:ehh:

The fact they mixed it in less then 4 days was pretty impressive...

But let's be real Chronic 2001 is just AMAZING to listen too..even now...when u listen to it with the Dre Beats its like wearing 3D glasses :krs:

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Well mixed and mastered albums...

Common - Like Water For Chocolate
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Slum Village - Detroit Deli (A Taste Of Detroit)
NWA - nikkaz4Life
Nas - It Was Written
The Notorious BIG - Ready To Die
Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001

The Roots - How I Got Over

Look at the group that those three bolded albums and How I Got Over came from; are you REALLY that surprised?

I'll have to check the others though.

My comment was meant in this way: Yeah, there are quite a few albums that are well engineered, but brickwalling and a lack of dynamics is a problem pervasive in music in general, rather than just a Rap music problem. And with indie albums that aren't even remotely radio-aimed having that brickwalling and lack of dynamics problem (Maybe a bad example, but have you ever looked at the displays of MGMT's Oracular Spectacular? :snoop:), Rap, being more radio oriented, especially around the late 90s-early 2000s, would seem to especially have this problem. This is, of course, all just speculation, so I could be wrong and ignorant.

Most albums from the 90's are not mixed well. The threadstarter prolly doesn't even know what it means

I think it's just less noticeable on Rap records, since they don't have to deal with a bunch of trebly instruments that would make such compression, loudness and fatigue really noticeable. Case in point:

I dare you to get through this with headphones on without stopping and rubbing your eyes. It's impossible.

Besides, Don Killuminati wasn't a bombastic album anyway, so it would be less noticeable to the untrained ear (not that mine is that trained to begin with :yeshrug:).

Last edited by a moderator:

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
You're all wrong. Its this
113006_1_f.jpg

choc city

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Scarface - the untouchable is by far my fav hip hop mix/master job. My homie Mike Dean agrees.