Is Sheamus low key one of the best upper midcard wrestlers of all time?

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
I'll put the ceiling of upper midcard at Rick Rude, or Lex Luger... Guys who can flirt with the main and be very credible vs main, and have a cup of coffee in the main or as champ, but were never booked as the top guy. My case:
  • He has had title runs but never really held the title like a main guy, BUT, is a credible beat when building a champ contender...this is maybe the most important job of upper mid
  • He does not bring any card down
  • He is the picture consistency
  • Has a unique look and persona
  • Has a GOAT moveset that is straight up power moves and finisher type shyt
  • He never mails it in or bullshyts, no matter where he is on the card
Case against
  • It's Sheamus, and WWE pushed him like crazy and he had to settle in the mid card
  • His best runs are in tags
  • He killed some good runs like Daniel Bryan and had never ending fueds with Cena and trips
Is Sheamus in the Rick rude / Goto / ohio state / Mr. Perfect tier of upper midcarders?

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I always liked Sheamus. I thought it was bizarre that WWE pushed him so much in the beginning and had him go over Cena for the title. That could have easily backfired and been one of the biggest disasters in the history of the company, but Sheamus was ready. He carried himself like a main eventer and I could believe he was credible against Cena, Triple H, and Orton. And his face run from 2011-2012 was good, too. :ehh:

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
I’m a Sheamus fan, agreed on him being a great upper midcarder. Really enjoyed his matches last year against Drew McIntyre. I marked out when he challenged Hall of Pain era Mark Henry (“Ah’ll foight ‘em.” :yeshrug:), even down to silly shyt like being kayfabe related to Beaker from The Muppets :pachaha:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
It's Sheamus, and WWE pushed him like crazy and he had to settle in the mid card
I think actually he settled in exactly where he should be despite that initial overpush going against him, and I would argue that he atleast didn’t look out of place in the main event scene during that push despite being a fresh face.

I agree with the thread premise also, Sheamus is definitely in the upper echelon of upper midcard/occasional main event players. In addition to the positives you listed, he’s also someone who is capable of elevating or carrying other talent in a similar way as the Miz has. He’s helped newer talent look credible like Riddle, Priest, and now Ridge Holland. His team with Cesaro gave both guys new life and helped cover for Cesaro’s deficiencies on the mic while having classics with basically every other tag team in that era.
Definitely a valuable member of the roster to have

El Guapo

Superstar
Daps
I'm a fan. I feel he'll be one of those guys that will be more appreciated years after he retires. He's got one of the best power guy move sets and the Brogue Kick was the most protected finisher for years. If Rude and Luger are at the top at a 10 on the upper mid-card scale, I'd probably put Sheamus just a point below at a 9. Maybe 8.5 at worst. I think his peak aren't up to their peaks, but that's more a WWE creative thing.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
I'm a fan. I feel he'll be one of those guys that will be more appreciated years after he retires. He's got one of the best power guy move sets and the Brogue Kick was the most protected finisher for years. If Rude and Luger are at the top at a 10 on the upper mid-card scale, I'd probably put Sheamus just a point below at a 9. Maybe 8.5 at worst. I think his peak aren't up to their peaks, but that's more a WWE creative thing.
Yeah, brouge kick and trouble in paradise are oddly two of the most protected moves in wwe history :ehh:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I completely loathed early Sheamus (when he went from being in WWECW in feuds with Goldust to Cena jumping into a table and Sheamus winning the WWE title from him). I’ve grown to appreciate his tough guy style, even though he’s had his ass whooped by real tough guys a couple times backstage.