Is Rust Cohle A Top 10 Character In TV History?

is rust a top 10 character?

• yes

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • no

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
nihilistic. anti-hero swag. dudes got quotables for days... :obama:

true_detective___rust_cohle_by_p1xer-d77kmnw.png

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of sh*t. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What's that say about your reality?"

"I think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight, brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."

and my personal favorite :laugh:

"With all the dikk swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy p*ssy?"

he should've been able to spot maggie then :patrice:

would you say he's a top 10 character in television history? :ohhh:

Last edited:

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
He is only gonna have 8 episodes of existence and the first 7 are spectacular. In history? I dunno but he is easily the best character in the last 5 years of TV. Only one touch him is Walter White in terms of quality acting.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I think so.

Let me go thru the goat shows and see if I can think of who else would be in competition.

BB - Walter White
The Wire - nobody... too many characters

Yeah he's easily up there.

I think he comes across so well because True Detective is more like a movie than a tv show.

bogey_j

Daps
I think so.

Let me go thru the goat shows and see if I can think of who else would be in competition.

BB - Walter White
The Wire - nobody... too many characters

Yeah he's easily up there.

I think he comes across so well because True Detective is more like a movie than a tv show.

yeah I try to think of a top 10 and the only characters I can think of off the top who are on rust's level are

walter white
don draper
tony soprano
frank underwood

maybe dexter morgan if we forgot about seasons 7 & 8

like you said the wire has too many characters. its more of the ensemble cast dynamic that makes the show great, but if one character sticks out more than all others, for me, its stringer bell

if you wanna extend the list to include characters beyond dramatic tv series, then I guess classic sitcom characters like george costanza or cosby could be on there

but IMO rust cohle is definitely a top 10 character. never seen a television character like him before

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
he should've been able to spot maggie then :patrice:

Maggie wasn't crazy, though. Agree or disagree with her actions, they came from an understandable place.

Nic Pizzolatto, the writer of the show:
"But Maggie, for me, is the most emotionally intelligent person in the show. I think of her as an anchor and reality for each man. I blame Hart for her cumulative action more than her."

bogey_j

Daps
Maggie wasn't crazy, though. Agree or disagree with her actions, they came from an understandable place.

Nic Pizzolatto, the writer of the show:
"But Maggie, for me, is the most emotionally intelligent person in the show. I think of her as an anchor and reality for each man. I blame Hart for her cumulative action more than her."

doesn't change the fact her actions were foul and demonic.

marty wasn't deliberately trying to hurt her by fukking other chicks. she was trying to hurt him though, and not just hurt him, but rip the soul from his chest

rust shouldve spotted that

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkas done forgot about AL motherfukking Sweargen the gawd? Al Sweargen better be in nikkas top 10. I voted yes for Cohle, but he might be on the edge of the top 10 because he's only going to have 8 episodes in bio.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
doesn't change the fact her actions were foul and demonic.

marty wasn't deliberately trying to hurt her by fukking other chicks. she was trying to hurt him though, and not just hurt him, but rip the soul from his chest

rust shouldve spotted that

Yeah, Rust should have. Hart was a scumbag, though. As the writer said, he's more to blame for the whole thing. She forgave him after the first time when he lied to protect himself, then he was right back at it again. He had his chance to play it straight.

Doesn't matter what he was "deliberately" doing or not. His actions had the same effects either way. He could have manned up, but didn't. Even more proof of this was in the previous episode, where it was shown that his wife and kids were fine without him, and actually his kids were doing better than they were when he was around.