Is Plex a good alternative to Google Play Music?

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
I already pay for Tidal but a lot of my music collection is not on streaming apps, I was thinking of uploading all my music to Plex but I'm not sure if I can listen to my music offline or if I have to keep my laptop open 24/7 to access the music:patrice:

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
If you don’t end up using plex check Apple Music. Upload your whole collection and it’s intertwined with the streaming side of Apple Music.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I have Plex set up on a 4 drive NAS server at my house. It's 99% 4K and Blu-Ray movies, tv shows, and documentaries on there. Since my NAS server is on the internet 24/7 365 I never have to have my computer on.

To watch something I just hop on my phone and stream. Loving it when I was in hotel rooms a lot for work and traveling. Now I mainly use my Plex to stream locally to an XBOX, Apple TV, nVIDIA shield and an iPad around the house. And I also gave my boys an account so they can watch the movies and TV shows I have.

For offline viewing/listening you need "Plex Pass". It's $39.99 a year or $119.99 for a lifetime. It has a few other features other than offline but I haven't signed up yet.

Plex usually offers 50%-60% off of lifetime Plex Pass once a year but I've never been able to catch the sale.

If you try it for music report back. I have Sonos throughout the house so I might try to fukk with music and Plex + Sonos.

Last edited:

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
If you don’t end up using plex check Apple Music. Upload your whole collection and it’s intertwined with the streaming side of Apple Music.
You can upload your own music on apple music? Thinking about leaving Google music because they switching over to YouTube music

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
You can upload your own music on apple music? Thinking about leaving Google music because they switching over to YouTube music

yes, it integrates with the Apple Music library. So if you have DJ Clue Cluminatti tape on your pc/Mac and you add the DJ Clue Professional LP from Apple Music for streaming it shows together.

2-E65-A4-C7-B91-A-4-DAA-884-C-0-D1574-CDF78-E.png

all the killah priest lps I own/ripped myself show in the same interface. If he dropped an exclusive Apple Music lp today and I press the add button it would be mixed in with the lps I uploaded.

You just have to make sure your id tags are correct. If Apple already has Heavy Mental on the server it won’t even upload yours , it will just use theirs but still shows it as yours.

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
yes, it integrates with the Apple Music library. So if you have DJ Clue Cluminatti tape on your pc/Mac and you add the DJ Clue Professional LP from Apple Music for streaming it shows together.

2-E65-A4-C7-B91-A-4-DAA-884-C-0-D1574-CDF78-E.png

all the killah priest lps I own/ripped myself show in the same interface. If he dropped an exclusive Apple Music lp today and I press the add button it would be mixed in with the lps I uploaded.

You just have to make sure your id tags are correct. If Apple already has Heavy Mental on the server it won’t even upload yours , it will just use theirs but still shows it as yours.
Oh shyt ....good looks my G.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
yeah. I use it for all my music now as long as you have a good upload speed on your home pc and good processor for transcoding otherwise your load times will be slow. Got my plex server set up on an old mini mac that you can order from ebay for about 200 bucks and then a synology 920 (i think is the model) holding like 32 TB of storage for all my media.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
@head shots101 i mah had a free trial code for Apple Music for 4 months if you want it,. I’ll have to check for it after work though

capncaveman

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
bk bed stuy marcy pjs..
I have Plex set up on a 4 drive NAS server at my house. It's 99% 4K and Blu-Ray movies, tv shows, and documentaries on there. Since my NAS server is on the internet 24/7 365 I never have to have my computer on.

To watch something I just hop on my phone and stream. Loving it when I was in hotel rooms a lot for work and traveling. Now I mainly use my Plex to stream locally to an XBOX, Apple TV, nVIDIA shield and an iPad around the house. And I also gave my boys an account so they can watch the movies and TV shows I have.

For offline viewing/listening you need "Plex Pass". It's $39.99 a year or $119.99 for a lifetime. It has a few other features other than offline but I haven't signed up yet.

Plex usually offers 50%-60% off of lifetime Plex Pass once a year but I've never been able to catch the sale.

If you try it for music report back. I have Sonos throughout the house so I might try to fukk with music and Plex + Sonos.
I want to get a nas server but I’m still doing research on them.they seem difficult to set up. For now I just use my pc