Is it possible to build big legs without Squats?

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
can't speak for OP, but your final sentence is part of the reason both myself and many others don't prefer squats. For many, once you get to a certain weight - a weight that is a challenge and/or the weight you need to be at for more growth - it can be hard to balance that against maintaining proper form. This of course leads to back pain, some people get back pain from squatting even with proper form, as well as keeps you from squatting at depth. Squats are also a challenge if you don't have great mobility, especially in the ankles/feet. Lastly, can be hard on the wrists, especially front squats.

This is why you use the Smith-machine squat and bench was it eliminates the balance issues and allows you to focus on strength and form soley.

It's not all about heavy weight, remember most women with great legs dont squat more then 145 and yet they get thick legs all while having low testosterone, that should let you know it's not all about strength=,size

1-8-7-Skillz

Superstar
Daps
can't speak for OP, but your final sentence is part of the reason both myself and many others don't prefer squats. For many, once you get to a certain weight - a weight that is a challenge and/or the weight you need to be at for more growth - it can be hard to balance that against maintaining proper form. This of course leads to back pain, some people get back pain from squatting even with proper form, as well as keeps you from squatting at depth. Squats are also a challenge if you don't have great mobility, especially in the ankles/feet. Lastly, can be hard on the wrists, especially front squats.

there are literally tens to hundreds of exercises for each muscle, the big 5 have their place as the foundation/easy way to hit multiple muscles in compound moves, but i think too much emphasis has been placed on them when people who have pain from them still feel the need to keep doing them because everyone says "you have to"

From personal experience I can say that the technique on the big compound lifts takes A LOT of effort to REALLY get them down 100%. So in my opinion if you have pain during for example squats, like you have knee pain, back pain, wrist issues etc etc you need to look at all different kinds of things that play into that and fix them, sometimes one by one. I had terrible ankle mobility which made squats complete hell and just low back pain inducing, but after a while I found a super effective way to treat/fix that with banded ankle mobilization. Same way I had to really learn breathing/bracing to get a powerful core which, from what I’ve seen, is something most people are lacking resulting in bad form, weak numbers & pain.

so ill say if you really invest the time into the exercises and got the endurance to perfect the form you should be able to put up heavy weights without pain.
Extremely taxing for the cns ? Yes
Mentally exhausting ? Yes
Generally heavy feeling ? Yes
But pain ? No

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
From personal experience I can say that the technique on the big compound lifts takes A LOT of effort to REALLY get them down 100%. So in my opinion if you have pain during for example squats, like you have knee pain, back pain, wrist issues etc etc you need to look at all different kinds of things that play into that and fix them, sometimes one by one. I had terrible ankle mobility which made squats complete hell and just low back pain inducing, but after a while I found a super effective way to treat/fix that with banded ankle mobilization. Same way I had to really learn breathing/bracing to get a powerful core which, from what I’ve seen, is something most people are lacking resulting in bad form, weak numbers & pain.

so ill say if you really invest the time into the exercises and got the endurance to perfect the form you should be able to put up heavy weights without pain.
Extremely taxing for the cns ? Yes
Mentally exhausting ? Yes
Generally heavy feeling ? Yes
But pain ? No
i agree with the premise of your post, but for most people for whom just getting a regular exercise routine in is a challenge/hard to stick to/all the time they're willing to commit, having to add in even more exercises, stretching, and mobility work just to do some other exercise correctly, that's a big ask. so aside from those looking for pure strength, the average person can get perfectly fine legs without squats while also avoiding having to put in extra work (or work through pain) just to do the exercise properly, at a high load, without pain.

and i do squat - but even when i'm running a cycle without them, the leg press and rdl's keep my quads and hams looking/feeling fine and strong. maybe it's my take as a woman, but i never felt pressed to have to have BB squats as part of my regimen

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
i agree with the premise of your post, but for most people for whom just getting a regular exercise routine in is a challenge/hard to stick to/all the time they're willing to commit, having to add in even more exercises, stretching, and mobility work just to do some other exercise correctly, that's a big ask. so aside from those looking for pure strength, the average person can get perfectly fine legs without squats while also avoiding having to put in extra work (or work through pain) just to do the exercise properly, at a high load, without pain.

and i do squat - but even when i'm running a cycle without them, the leg press and rdl's keep my quads and hams looking/feeling fine and strong. maybe it's my take as a woman, but i never felt pressed to have to have BB squats as part of my regimen
Yall are both right. I think there is some merit to if you don’t generally want to invest doing the movement, how hard are you really going to work all of the alternate movements. I know how you train and then other train to support playing sports. So I get that but then the example of the guy talking to me about building legs and then every day it’s box jumps and isolation machine work. Ain’t going to get you there...........

1-8-7-Skillz

Superstar
Daps

Yeah, there is no „must“ with exercising but when it comes to „most bang for the buck“ factor stuff like squats & deadlifts are top notch for me (and my favorite exercises as well).
And the mobility aspect is more an issue of „building up to a certain level and then maintaining“. The ankle mobility drills I’m talking about don’t have to be used daily until the end of time but after a while of doing them regularly and loading up/working in said newly acquired range of motion you can keep it by just squatting on the regular using the new mobility.

AQz

All Star
Supporter
Daps
can't speak for OP, but your final sentence is part of the reason both myself and many others don't prefer squats...

When I made my last statement, I was referring to the people that ego lift. Not those that are are plateauing. Just mainly wanted to clarify on that.

Sometimes a plateau requires attacking the problem from a different angle. Squats work a lot of muscles. If you target quads and hamstrings, do you also focus on back and abs equally?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
When I made my last statement, I was referring to the people that ego lift. Not those that are are plateauing. Just mainly wanted to clarify on that.

Sometimes a plateau requires attacking the problem from a different angle. Squats work a lot of muscles. If you target quads and hamstrings, do you also focus on back and abs equally?
I do, I’m an upper/lower split person + 10-15 mins of isolated core work 5-6x weeks...but I completely agree that if you prefer full body workouts, the big 5 are pretty much a must

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
This is why you use the Smith-machine squat and bench was it eliminates the balance issues and allows you to focus on strength and form soley.

It's not all about heavy weight, remember most women with great legs dont squat more then 145 and yet they get thick legs all while having low testosterone, that should let you know it's not all about strength=,size

Not sheriffserious. :dahell: Using a Smith machine to focus on strength and form solely (:mjlol:)is exactly why so many people injure themselves (by practicing locking themselves into a fixed plane of motion and/or bar path that free weights don't have; or by neglecting their stabilizer muscles).

Pressing/squatting on a Smith machine would actually make your form worse, not better, and will likely lead one to overestimate their actual strength level (alotta folks think a two plate bench on the Smith is equivalent to two plates on a barbell). :deadrose:

Most women have great (i.e. decent) legs because they tend to neglect upper body work more than their lower body work, and because they are naturally predisposed to having more muscle mass and fat storage in those areas, not because of superior exercise selection. :shaq2:How many broads you see do any type of leg work? Now compare that to how many do pull-ups, dips, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, etc.

This is one of the reasons I can't really work with most people in the gym, male or female. People ask me all the time (or say yes if I ask them) to take them to the gym, then get bent out of shape when I ask them to squat, bench, or row (even starting with an empty bar or something).
They all wanna be a beast until it's time to do what beasts do. :demonic:

Ronnie said it best: "Errybody wanna be a bodybuilder [or have their ideal body created] but don't nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight [i.e. put in the work to get there, which natty may require heavy barbell lifts]." :francis:

Not saying some people don't have mobility issues or pain, etc., but most people are actually just lazy as shyt when it comes to working out and would rather do something easy (i.e. iso machine lifts) than something that is hard (the big 5 with proper form).

Daps
You can get size with leg extension, hamstring curls, leg press and lunges...plus running and walking a decent amount.

Squats are more efficient and transfer better to other activities and movements....but it's not the end all/be all if you're only focused on size.

Genetics matter quite a bit. Most black people either have big running back legs or chicken legs...at least what I see at the gym. The chicken leg crew always does box jumps while the tanks are doing every compound lift imaginable. Wonder how much of that is people training areas they naturally excel in or people focusing on what interests them most.

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
Not sheriffserious. :dahell: Using a Smith machine to focus on strength and form solely (:mjlol:)is exactly why so many people injure themselves (by practicing locking themselves into a fixed plane of motion and/or bar path that free weights don't have; or by neglecting their stabilizer muscles).

Pressing/squatting on a Smith machine would actually make your form worse, not better, and will likely lead one to overestimate their actual strength level (alotta folks think a two plate bench on the Smith is equivalent to two plates on a barbell). :deadrose:

Most women have great (i.e. decent) legs because they tend to neglect upper body work more than their lower body work, and because they are naturally predisposed to having more muscle mass and fat storage in those areas, not because of superior exercise selection. :shaq2:How many broads you see do any type of leg work? Now compare that to how many do pull-ups, dips, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, etc.

This is one of the reasons I can't really work with most people in the gym, male or female. People ask me all the time (or say yes if I ask them) to take them to the gym, then get bent out of shape when I ask them to squat, bench, or row (even starting with an empty bar or something).
They all wanna be a beast until it's time to do what beasts do. :demonic:

Ronnie said it best: "Errybody wanna be a bodybuilder [or have their ideal body created] but don't nobody wanna lift this heavy ass weight [i.e. put in the work to get there, which natty may require heavy barbell lifts]." :francis:

Not saying some people don't have mobility issues or pain, etc., but most people are actually just lazy as shyt when it comes to working out and would rather do something easy (i.e. iso machine lifts) than something that is hard (the big 5 with proper form).

I dont know where you train at but the women I'm talking about have great legs, not from fat but actual muscle.

There far more, I mean far more people who get injured or have more a pec tears doing bench press with barbells then doing it on Smith-machine or using the dumbells.

This coming from someone that's trained at gold gym venice often. How you feel about using the smith machine is exactly how I feel about using the barbells over dumbells.

Using barbell is actually like using the smith machine I'll explain. Let's say your doing curls with a barbell, naturally your stronger arms with act as a stabilizer for to compensate for the weaker arms, it's the sole reason why you people in the gym with one arm bigger then other.

When you do curls with the dumbells its forces each arm to work independently with no assistance or added stability.

People who train with dumbells have builds where each body part is as strong as the other and and symmetrical.

Also dumbells prevent ego lifts its forces you train at the pace your body is ready for other then what you think it's ready for

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
I dont know where you train at but the women I'm talking about have great legs, not from fat but actual muscle.

There far more, I mean far more people who get injured or have more a pec tears doing bench press with barbells then doing it on Smith-machine or using the dumbells.

This coming from someone that's trained at gold gym venice often. How you feel about using the smith machine is exactly how I feel about using the barbells over dumbells.

Using barbell is actually like using the smith machine I'll explain. Let's say your doing curls with a barbell, naturally your stronger arms with act as a stabilizer for to compensate for the weaker arms, it's the sole reason why you people in the gym with one arm bigger then other.

When you do curls with the dumbells its forces each arm to work independently with no assistance or added stability.

People who train with dumbells have builds where each body part is as strong as the other and and symmetrical.

Also dumbells prevent ego lifts its forces you train at the pace your body is ready for other then what you think it's ready for

This whole post made very little sense, if any, especially in the context of anything we were previously discussing in this thread. We weren't debating the merits of BBs vs DBs, I was merely positing that using Smith machines neither helps reinforce good form nor does it make one actually stronger.
:snoop:

I don't know where you train but what I said about females neglecting UB work more than LB work is fairly common. Not saying they all do this, but as a rule their workouts have a skew towards LB just like a lot of guys neglect their legs and focus too much on UB work.

I wouldn't say the vast majority of folks male or female have great legs.
:rudy:

We'll just have to agree to disagree when it comes to fitness. It is clear to me that you have very little to contribute to the topic. :dahell: :skip:

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
This whole post made very little sense, if any, especially in the context of anything we were previously discussing in this thread. We weren't debating the merits of BBs vs DBs, I was merely positing that using Smith machines neither helps reinforce good form nor does it make one actually stronger.
:snoop:

I don't know where you train but what I said about females neglecting UB work more than LB work is fairly common. Not saying they all do this, but as a rule their workouts have a skew towards LB just like a lot of guys neglect their legs and focus too much on UB work.

I wouldn't say the vast majority of folks male or female have great legs.
:rudy:

We'll just have to agree to disagree when it comes to fitness. It is clear to me that you have very little to contribute to the topic. :dahell: :skip:

That's post wasnt ment for you, I posted it in the wrong thread..:mjlol: