Is it possible to build big legs without Squats?

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
Not sure if I should go heavy or high reps with squats

Possible? Yes. Optimal? Prolly not.

Lower rep sets (5 and under) are better for increasing your maximal strength, while higher rep sets (up to 20 reps using a 10 rep max) will be better for increasing muscle hypertrophy and endurance.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Possible? Yes. Optimal? Prolly not.

Lower rep sets (5 and under) are better for increasing your maximal strength, while higher rep sets (up to 20 reps using a 10 rep max) will be better for increasing muscle hypertrophy and endurance.
That reminds me. That guy I mentioned that said he neglected legs all his life still doing nothing but machine work :dwillhuh:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Yes, leg press to hit quads heavy, leg extensions also hit quads, RDLs, straight leg deads, and/or hamstring curls to hit hammies. Squats are the best bang for your buck but not needed if you’re doing targeted muscle work, if you just wanted to hit full body 4x week, then squat, you doing splits, I don’t think they’re necessary

AQz

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Squats are a big part of my leg routine. That said, it’s possible to get gains without squats. And I always incorporate the below in my leg routine.
  • Leg extensions (single and double) for quads.
  • Leg curls (same) for hamstrings.
  • Calf raises (standing and seated)
  • Lunges
  • Leg press
Deadlifts are also great. I usually do those on back day though.

Since it wasn’t mentioned though. Why were you asking about not using squats?

Heavy is always great, but lower weight with proper form always > heavy weight bad form.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Since it wasn’t mentioned though. Why were you asking about not using squats?

Heavy is always great, but lower weight with proper form always > heavy weight bad form.
can't speak for OP, but your final sentence is part of the reason both myself and many others don't prefer squats. For many, once you get to a certain weight - a weight that is a challenge and/or the weight you need to be at for more growth - it can be hard to balance that against maintaining proper form. This of course leads to back pain, some people get back pain from squatting even with proper form, as well as keeps you from squatting at depth. Squats are also a challenge if you don't have great mobility, especially in the ankles/feet. Lastly, can be hard on the wrists, especially front squats.

there are literally tens to hundreds of exercises for each muscle, the big 5 have their place as the foundation/easy way to hit multiple muscles in compound moves, but i think too much emphasis has been placed on them when people who have pain from them still feel the need to keep doing them because everyone says "you have to"

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
can't speak for OP, but your final sentence is part of the reason both myself and many others don't prefer squats. For many, once you get to a certain weight - a weight that is a challenge and/or the weight you need to be at for more growth - it can be hard to balance that against maintaining proper form. This of course leads to back pain, some people get back pain from squatting even with proper form, as well as keeps you from squatting at depth. Squats are also a challenge if you don't have great mobility, especially in the ankles/feet. Lastly, can be hard on the wrists, especially front squats.

there are literally tens to hundreds of exercises for each muscle, the big 5 have their place as the foundation/easy way to hit multiple muscles in compound moves, but i think too much emphasis has been placed on them when people who have pain from them still feel the need to keep doing them because everyone says "you have to"
Fair point but too some degree it is supposed to be difficult. Injury and pain producing, no but for something that recruits that many muscle groups it’s going to be and should be a struggle to some degree.

I think it of course comes down of to the individual. Everyone doesn’t want to do compound lifts and nobody has to but at the same time you have to temper your growth and strength expectations accordingly. You could say the same thing with certain aspects of nutrition so I don’t want it to seem like there is a right or wrong or judgement if that makes sense.