Is it okay if I lose fat doing just cardio?

Apex

Banned
Daps
I'm 16 years old and 175 pounds. I'm not necessarily fat (don't look awfully fat at all) - but there is work to be done. I want to fit into clothes and burn fat.

Would it be cool if I just did HIIT training for the rest of the summer, or do I need to do weight-lifting as well?

What are the benefits of doing both?

I'm still a noob at this, so if you experienced folks could help, that'd be dope.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
It varies from person to person

For me personally, cardio on a cut fukks with my recovery and energy. My lifts tanked when I started trying to incorporate cardio. Unless u are already doing it, I wouldn't. But it might work for you.

For me, switching to a crazy high protein diet, getting in a LOT of fiber, and cutting calories has been the ticket. Average protein intake for me has been like 275-300g/day. For you it's probably enough to just get 225-250 or so.

Apex

Banned
Daps
It varies from person to person

For me personally, cardio on a cut fukks with my recovery and energy. My lifts tanked when I started trying to incorporate cardio. Unless u are already doing it, I wouldn't. But it might work for you.

For me, switching to a crazy high protein diet, getting in a LOT of fiber, and cutting calories has been the ticket. Average protein intake for me has been like 275-300g/day. For you it's probably enough to just get 225-250 or so.
I've never lifted or done cardio in my life. I'm just starting to get into working out.

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've never lifted or done cardio in my life. I'm just starting to get into working out.

Weights will always enhance your ability to lose fat and recomp, especially if you're a novice. I run and lift several times a week, granted, my goals are different, but for you, if it's just looking better, cardio and a weight routine will be good.

At some point, however, tons of cardio will eat into your recovery. If I lose some muscle on this cut, so be it. For me it's going to be inevitable. All I do now is a fullbody, heavy-as-fukk alI-compounds movement. My programming is probably completely full-retard, but for me, it's just about preserving as much strength as I can as I cut down. If I ever bulk again I'll run a serious program.

I can personally say that running 3-4 miles several times a week with 2-3 days a week of lifting to failure and heavy (for me) compounds begins to wear on you.

However, that's where dieting comes into play. Personally I'm trying to lose weight and lean down so I can improve my bodyweight movements and endurance. I went through the whole natty bulk phase, but when I couldn't wear pants anymore I kind of lost my desire for that :skip:

TLDR: hit the weights and do cardio. Eat macronutrient rich foods and rest and recover. You'll look really good in a few months if you bust your ass. One thing I'll say: even if you're working out like a retard, sometimes intensity and effort still beats out stupid training. In the beginning, no matter how much advice you read, you're still gonna know fukk-all about what you're doing. I've only been seriously, seriously training for like 2 years and I still have a lot to learn, but I've lifted weights (albeit like a complete fukktard) for 5-6 years.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
At 16 I would take advantage of the huge amount of natural testosterone and HGH and focus on building muscle. The fat will likely stay off
Exactly

Unless you are 5'2" you probably have a great canvas to build a good physique. Find a got beginner lifting program, eat good and let your body do the rest. At your age there isn't a need to cut fat directly.

Eat, lift and grow.

Apex

Banned
Daps
At 16 I would take advantage of the huge amount of natural testosterone and HGH and focus on building muscle. The fat will likely stay off
What is a workout plan that I can look at and take advantage of?

I can lift, but what do I do at the gym and how many times a week do I do it? I need some guidance in that department.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm 16 years old and 175 pounds. I'm not necessarily fat (don't look awfully fat at all) - but there is work to be done. I want to fit into clothes and burn fat.

Would it be cool if I just did HIIT training for the rest of the summer, or do I need to do weight-lifting as well?

What are the benefits of doing both?

I'm still a noob at this, so if you experienced folks could help, that'd be dope.
No it isn't unless you wanna be "skinny fat' meaning slim with small amounts of bodyfat that stubbornly cling to the typical areas fat does on the human body.

Apex

Banned
Daps
Signed up to a better gym and started Stronglifts 5x5. Looking forward to the new lifestyle.