Is it impossible to have a Wu tang/Mobb Deep type classic anymore?

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
First of all, there is no such thing as an universally acclaimed album. There never was, and never will be an album that every single person on earth likes. There wont even be an album that 100/100 people like equally. Secondly, there is great albums coming out every year, but everyone wants to be stuck up on this 'real hip hop nonsense'.

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First of all, there is no such thing as an universally acclaimed album. There never was, and never will be an album that every single person on earth likes. There wont even be an album that 100/100 people like equally. Secondly, there is great albums coming out every year, but everyone wants to be stuck up on this 'real hip hop nonsense'.

Bro of course it aint 100 percent but there are overwhelming majority classics lets not pretend and what do you consider great or real hip hop? Please dont tell me Drakes latest shiiit is classic to you:comeon:

If you gonna name albums in the same vein as the other poster thats fine, Im not saying great albums dont come out, Im saying because hip hop has sold out so much those albums will never get the acclaim they deserve

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
Hip Hop used to be all over the streets. Ciphers breaking out at random, cats mobbing with 40 ounces and smoking blunts. Being a street cat naturally leads to the kind of creativity that spawned those albums.

Then again, I rolled up on some crips years back trying to sell my mixtape and attempted to joke about that 808's and Heartbreaks album, and the nikkas was like "yeah that shyt hard as fukk cuhh" :snoop:

its the shame the hip hop culture has died with my generation.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Bro of course it aint 100 percent but there are overwhelming majority classics lets not pretend and what do you consider great or real hip hop? Please dont tell me Drakes latest shiiit is classic to you:comeon:

If you gonna name albums in the same vein as the other poster thats fine, Im not saying great albums dont come out, Im saying because hip hop has sold out so much those albums will never get the acclaim they deserve

In the last 24 months alone we have gotten 1999, GSNT, Undun, Oneirology, Live From The Underground, Control System. Cancer For Cure, Trophies, Section.80, and a bunch of other albums that are slipping my mind. Being popular = being critically acclaimed. Carter IV sold the most last year yet it is widely considered to be one of the worst albums that year. 1999 was free yet it's better than some nikkas albums. Who cares about whether or not it is commercially successful? Were Gangstarr, Jeru Damaja, Ras Kass, Deltron, or Souls of Mischeif ever the most commercially accepted artists? Who cares:shaq2:

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In the last 24 months alone we have gotten 1999, GSNT, Undun, Oneirology, Live From The Underground, Control System. Cancer For Cure, Trophies, Section.80, and a bunch of other albums that are slipping my mind. Being popular = being critically acclaimed. Carter IV sold the most last year yet it is widely considered to be one of the worst albums that year. 1999 was free yet it's better than some nikkas albums. Who cares about whether or not it is commercially successful? Were Gangstarr, Jeru Damaja, Ras Kass, Deltron, or Souls of Mischeif ever the most commercially accepted artists? Who cares:shaq2:

They werent selling tons of records but in hip hop dudes were at the forefront, they all got major radio play. and that is what the young generation listens to, there are hardly any major fan bases that will look on the net for this stuff, they will call it nerd garbage and go listen to nigggas in Paris.

Wu would be considered nerd rap today, actually you hear all the time if someone mentions liking Wu you must be white or a nerd

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Doesn't Jay Z American Gangsta album fall under this criteria? The album didn't come out that long ago.

Roc Boys wasn't that commercial. Classic song, one of my favorites from Jay.

Mantle Drunk

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
shyt always seems to come full circle I wouldnt be suprised if in a couple of years someone comes out with something so grimey that it captures the audience of people that are getting tired and bored with this shyt out today. If WU came out with 36 Chambers today I find it hard to believe that it wouldnt get attention I feel greatness can never be ignored but maybe I'm wrong.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Like first of all a straight hip hop album with zero commercial cuts, secondly nigggas that aint megastars or being pushed as megastars.

Whens the last time we had a classic album like this?

And please dont come here listing your personal classics. Im talking about universally accepted in the fucckin hip hop history book classics.

I dont think an album like this would even get a single cut played on radio which makes it damn near impossible to have a classic like this again. Secondly the only dudes that could make a classic now and have it actually recgonized are these commercial cats and even then it aint gonna be no real classic but some commercialized version of a classic.

And once nigggas like Jay and Nas who are commercial but have talent leave, then the odds will really go down of ever having a classic again,

51NT7AAEcAL.jpg

koyaanisqatsi

Banned
Daps
no because this generation is all about nervousness and anxiety attacks so the music doesnt reflect the 90s where u didnt have distractions from all these gadgets and neon screens and u got in a zone through tha bassline (something that most white producers cant comprehend) and bobbed ya head .. now its all about twitchy movements or ADHD unfocused shoulder shakes . . . the music isnt really made for dancefloors (not the "club" where u go to stand around and volunteer to take part in biochemical warfare research) or headphones for meditation. . . its made for stadiums where the sounds are "epic" and meant for you to worship the artists on stage . .. preparations for the arrival of the anti-christ . .. indoctrinating the BLACK soul into a whitewashed separation of mind, body and spirit.. and transferring the qi energy into the lower pits of the secular stomach . .where the whiteboy values of shame, fear, and self-hate are absorbed and then masked with the illuminated symbolism of the consumer culture . . .

idol-worship.jpg

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like first of all a straight hip hop album with zero commercial cuts, secondly nigggas that aint megastars or being pushed as megastars.

Whens the last time we had a classic album like this?

And please dont come here listing your personal classics. Im talking about universally accepted in the fucckin hip hop history book classics.

I dont think an album like this would even get a single cut played on radio which makes it damn near impossible to have a classic like this again. Secondly the only dudes that could make a classic now and have it actually recgonized are these commercial cats and even then it aint gonna be no real classic but some commercialized version of a classic.

And once nigggas like Jay and Nas who are commercial but have talent leave, then the odds will really go down of ever having a classic again,

You are obviously ignoring the "Marcberg"...

koyaanisqatsi

Banned
Daps
hip hop is dead brehs :sadbron:

but for the most part .. "hip-hop" is the spirit of the last generation of the offspring of runaway slaves who kept it 360 and through the blood-lines never completely give up they ghost to the white puppetmaster . . . . so i guess what u saying then is that "BLACK" is getting washed over wit tha white-white . . ?!?!!

:old::flabbynsick::whistle: