Is it impossible to have a Wu tang/Mobb Deep type classic anymore?

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like first of all a straight hip hop album with zero commercial cuts, secondly nigggas that aint megastars or being pushed as megastars.

Whens the last time we had a classic album like this?

And please dont come here listing your personal classics. Im talking about universally accepted in the fucckin hip hop history book classics.

I dont think an album like this would even get a single cut played on radio which makes it damn near impossible to have a classic like this again. Secondly the only dudes that could make a classic now and have it actually recgonized are these commercial cats and even then it aint gonna be no real classic but some commercialized version of a classic.

And once nigggas like Jay and Nas who are commercial but have talent leave, then the odds will really go down of ever having a classic again,

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
of course not

u make one of those n sell 2000 copies

its a goddamn shame but music jus doesnt sell anymore, its too fukkin easy to download

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
of course not

u make one of those n sell 2000 copies

its a goddamn shame but music jus doesnt sell anymore, its too fukkin easy to download

It is impossible, like yeah quality wise its possible but it wont be recognized as a classic, thats my point.

And it aint the download shiiit imo, its that there is no fanbase anymore for real hip hop cause all those people do now is support the mainstream gay shiiit.

151_Pr00f

All Star
Daps
Reppin
In the Clouds
People don't really vibe to that anymore. Swag. flash, and braggadicio sell not so much the grimey, street, hustlers lifestyle.

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
Jayz, 50 cent, snoop, wu and a whole bunch of guys need to push the talent thats around them, they all have heaters around but aint putting them out there

i like wu but we aint getting a new from them, they just need to push the wu babys, like ghostface son sungod that guy got bars

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jayz, 50 cent, snoop, wu and a whole bunch of guys need to push the talent thats around them, they all have heaters around but aint putting them out there

i like wu but we aint getting a new from them, they just need to push the wu babys, like ghostface son sungod that guy got bars

nah Im just using Wu as an example, I would rather have a new niggga or group come out on some grimey real shiiit. I just dont think it will ever happen again

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
nah Im just using Wu as an example, I would rather have a new niggga or group come out on some grimey real shiiit. I just dont think it will ever happen again

i know what u mean brah, would be nice if all the top guys helped the young gunners around them though.

H.S.

All Star
Daps
There's no such thing as a universally hailed classic anymore. That's not how modern rap works. Too many different types of sub genres with dedicated fan bases. Flockaveli, Return of The Mac, OB4CL 2, Marcberg, R.A.P. Music, etc are all classic uncompromising projects imo, but certainly not "universally hailed".

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's no such thing as a universally hailed classic anymore. That's not how modern rap works. Too many different types of sub genres with dedicated fan bases. Flockaveli, Return of The Mac, OB4CL 2, Marcberg, R.A.P. Music, etc are all classic uncompromising projects imo, but certainly not "universally hailed".

I dont disagree with most of the albums you chose quality wise but I think a lot of those would be universal classics in the 90s but cant be today cause they aint commercial enough. And we still do get universal classics but they only from commercial nigggas like I think Kanyes last cd was considered classic, not saying I agree but it sure seems that was the consensus from the modern rap fan

H.S.

All Star
Daps
I dont disagree with most of the albums you chose quality wise but I think a lot of those would be universal classics in the 90s but cant be today cause they aint commercial enough. And we still do get universal classics but they only from commercial nigggas like I think Kanyes last cd was considered classic, not saying I agree but it sure seems that was the consensus from the modern rap fan

Yeah, I agree about MBDTF. A lot of people considered that a classic when it dropped, but just as many fans were skeptical and thought it was overrated. Personally I thought it was his best after Late Registration.

I think Life Is Good will probably end up being the closest thing to a universally hailed classic in years.

John Hull

You can’t see me!
Daps
Reppin
Studio gangstas
Hip Hop used to be all over the streets. Ciphers breaking out at random, cats mobbing with 40 ounces and smoking blunts. Being a street cat naturally leads to the kind of creativity that spawned those albums.

Then again, I rolled up on some crips years back trying to sell my mixtape and attempted to joke about that 808's and Heartbreaks album, and the nikkas was like "yeah that shyt hard as fukk cuhh" :snoop:

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I agree about MBDTF. A lot of people considered that a classic when it dropped, but just as many fans were skeptical and thought it was overrated. Personally I thought it was his best after Late Registration.

I think Life Is Good will probably end up being the closest thing to a universally hailed classic in years.

It was and Ill be fair I liked it better than WTT by a lot but idk about classic cause Kanye dont do it for me lyrically no homo

Life is Good has a shot cause Nas by name recognition gets radio play and lately it seems he has abandoned the commercial stuff for the most part

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hip Hop used to be all over the streets. Ciphers breaking out at random, cats mobbing with 40 ounces and smoking blunts. Being a street cat naturally leads to the kind of creativity that spawned those albums.

Then again, I rolled up on some crips years back trying to sell my mixtape and attempted to joke about that 808's and Heartbreaks album, and the nikkas was like "yeah that shyt hard as fukk cuhh" :snoop:
Thats what I mean theyve brainwashed the dudes that would make that type of grimey shiiit.

Its one thing to brainwash the mainstream whites to think this is real hip hop but when you brainwash the source of hip hop, you know you fuccked it up for good