Is it fair to say Microsoft doesn’t care about hardware sales anymore?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Looks like they’re banking everything on Gamepass being their main source of revenue, which I suppose their thinking is they can sell half as many consoles as PS5 as long as they make as much money or even more than Sony through Gamepass it’ll be a success.

It’s a bit risky no? Will Netflix type subscription work for gaming? Also let’s not forget they’ve basically been giving away Gamepass like candy so will the consumers stick around when MS starts charging them full prices?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m also guessing next gen, instead of buying third party exclusives solely for their console, they’d pay third party developers to put their big AAA games on Gamepass day one. Eg GTA VI on Gamepass.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
well at least they'll be 37 steps ahead in that regard when everything becomes a service.

I've heard nothing but healthy things for Gamepass.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
We'll see. If you believe MS is a visionary compass for shyt like this. Then you good to go.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Considering Microsoft is more into hardware sales than any other point in their existence...this is a bad take.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Hardware sales are important but you can make more money selling software than hardware:manny:

Devs like putting their games on gamepass because it gives them more exposure and larger player base. Plus they can still eat off DLC and digital purchases for the users who end up really liking their games. Microsoft putting all their AAA exclusives on there Day One means that it must be pretty lucrative for them for them, and it’s great for the players too.

Not to mention they have xCloud once the videogame streaming wars kick off and they can bundle that service with Gamepass and XboxLive as well.

NotAnFBIagent

[redacted]
Daps
well at least they'll be 37 steps ahead in that regard when everything becomes a service.

I've heard nothing but healthy things for Gamepass.

Hardware sales are important but you can make more money selling software than hardware:manny:

Devs like putting their games on gamepass because it gives them more exposure and larger player base. Plus they can still eat off DLC and digital purchases for the users who end up really liking their games. Microsoft putting all their AAA exclusives on there Day One means that it must be pretty lucrative for them for them, and it’s great for the players too.

Not to mention they have xCloud once the videogame streaming wars kick off and they can bundle that service with Gamepass and XboxLive as well.

This is chess not checkers.
Software services and streaming are the future

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Console sales don’t make money.

Console sales make potential customers.

With people playing games on a bunch of different devices Microsft has decided to tap into those potential customers instead of only relying on their own hardware.

Sony is beginning to make some of the same moves only a bit slower.