Is Drake the first mainstream rapper to never drop a true masterpiece?

derro13

All Star
Daps
Serious question...Even J.Cole has classic mixtapes :patrice:

When Take Care dropped it was generally considered as a solid 6-7/10, but considering his level of fame, Drake fans started calling it a classic by default few years later because they thought it was normal for an artist with that level of fame to have a reference album.

Besides Drake, I legit can't think of another artist that never really dropped a certified masterpiece, except Nicki Minaj.

Is this a first in hip hop?

Revolutionary

All Star
Daps
The whole YMCMB crew :yeshrug:

You don't even see Wayne albums on all time lists anymore. Same shyt will happen to Drake in a few years...right now you only see Take Care being mentionned at the bottom of these lists and the explanation them publications give you is that "he's hot right now so he must have an album on the list".
:mjlol:

You already know it's a charity placement since his peers have multiple albums being acclaimed

Patrick Kane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would say so. He doesn’t have a definitive timeless classic although Take Care and Nothing Was the Same come close. If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late is one of his best projects but not a classic hip hop album.

Thing is, he has so much music, so many hit records and legit classic features that it doesn’t really hurt him. None of his albums are straight up trash, they’re just too bulky and he tries to appeal to multiple audiences and experiments too much on his albums instead of focusing of delivering a clearer vision of what he’s capable of making.

Revolutionary

All Star
Daps
Eminem has 2-3 albums that are often discussed as classics. I don't like them, but he got multiple albums being discussed as "great records".

MMLP was never in consideration because of how hot Eminem was, but because of how good people thought it was. I'm not one of those people, but the discussions were always about the quality of the music

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Eminem has 2-3 albums that are often discussed as classics. I don't like them, but he got multiple albums being discussed as "great records".

MMLP was never in consideration because of how hot Eminem was, but because of how good people thought it was. I'm not one of those people, but the discussions were always about the quality of the music
i think em show is his only classic

but based off OP's thread premise, couldn't Em fit in that bucket?