Is Cuba really majority black?

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Great post :salute: would rep if I could. Also I have a few more questions:

-What would you guess the real racial demographics of Cuba (white, black, mulatto, mestizo, etc.) are overall?
-How are blacks treated in Cuba and generally perceived?
-Is intermarriage common between black and white/non-black Cubans?

:sas1:

Mixed people outnumber everybody by a wide margin, damn near everybody is racially ambigous. Then there would be a sizable white population, about maybe 20 to 30 percent? The pure black population would be around the same size but lower, maybe 15 to 20 percent too, then would come the Chinese Cubans and the native Tainos both in single digits.

The view of black Cubans is good, there is no systemic racism and de facto segregation, everyone lives, works and parties together BUT there are pockets of people with some prejudice. Police brutality with black Cubans is a thing but its not like here, white Cubans get their ass whipped too for speaking out. But I swear on a holy book I have never heard of racial violence in this century or after the revolution specifically.

Interracial marriage is extremely common and not looked at as anything crazy, you might get a quip about it like hey breh I see you pawging :shaq: but its a non issue

The mulatto/mestizo community is so big because we marry into ourselves alot, its like lousiana creole society, I myself my familys been mixed for 4 generations now, bunch of lightskins marrying each other to the point it got designated an official race.

Thats why whose "black" is difficult to gauge. Someone whose clearly black here might not be considered "black" over there. You gotta be real chocolate to be called a "negro" over there. For example, Beyonce, her mom and Solange wouldnt be "black" women we'd call them mulatas

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I can't find the article right now but I remember reading an article about the racial breakdown of modern Cuba and it said the Blancos were overcounted because of light mulattos checking white and the Negros were undercounted because of medium/darker mixes avoiding "Negro" identification. Basically "Preto" is the undeniable version of black

Thats why whose "black" is difficult to gauge. Someone whose clearly black here might not be considered "black" over there. You gotta be real chocolate to be called a "negro" over there. For example, Beyonce, her mom and Solange wouldnt be "black" women we'd call them mulatas

this sounds similar to what the article I read was getting at

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Mixed people outnumber everybody by a wide margin, damn near everybody is racially ambigous. Then there would be a sizable white population, about maybe 20 to 30 percent? The pure black population would be around the same size but lower, maybe 15 to 20 percent too, then would come the Chinese Cubans and the native Tainos both in single digits.

The view of black Cubans is good, there is no systemic racism and de facto segregation, everyone lives, works and parties together BUT there are pockets of people with some prejudice. Police brutality with black Cubans is a thing but its not like here, white Cubans get their ass whipped too for speaking out. But I swear on a holy book I have never heard of racial violence in this century or after the revolution specifically.

Interracial marriage is extremely common and not looked at as anything crazy, you might get a quip about it like hey breh I see you pawging :shaq: but its a non issue

The mulatto/mestizo community is so big because we marry into ourselves alot, its like lousiana creole society, I myself my familys been mixed for 4 generations now, bunch of lightskins marrying each other to the point it got designated an official race.

So is black a phenotype, skin color or both?

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
So is black a phenotype, skin color or both?

Both. The majority of people claim African DNA anyways. Theres a saying that goes "If your bloodline aint from the Congo then it must be from Calabar" (Calabar is an old european name for Nigeria).

But there are darksin people with a european phenotypes who dont claim "negro" even tho they do acknowledge that they are African by descent, its just that they also accept they have Euro blood too. There are about 72 distinct racial classes claimed over there that go into minute details. Darkskin plus wavy hair and euro phenotype makes you different than darkskin and afro phenotype, just like lightskin plus 4c hair but euro phenotype makes you different than lightskin with afro phenotype and wavy hair, its complex I dont even know all the classifications. Only dark skin+African pheno types+4c hair usually claim exclusive African heritage. Alot of that is changin tho, with movements like BLM going worldwide, so now the reverse is happening. More traditional mixed looking people are claiming Black and throwing up Black fist emojis, even if they are white passing, but there is still a heavy belief in the caste system. Even some whites are claiming distant African ancestors, to be honest alot of the cacs be just as heavy into the Santeria and Voodoo wave as the rest of us :manny:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Both. The majority of people claim African DNA anyways. Theres a saying that goes "If your bloodline aint from the Congo then it must be from Calabar" (Calabar is an old european name for Nigeria).

But there are darksin people with a european phenotypes who dont claim "negro" even tho they do acknowledge that they are African by descent, its just that they also accept they have Euro blood too. There are about 72 distinct racial classes claimed over there that go into minute details. Darkskin plus wavy hair and euro phenotype makes you different than darkskin and afro phenotype, just like lightskin plus 4c hair but euro phenotype makes you different than lightskin with afro phenotype and wavy hair, its complex I dont even know all the classifications. Only dark skin+African pheno types+4c hair usually claim exclusive African heritage. Alot of that is changin tho, with movements like BLM going worldwide, so now the reverse is happening. More traditional mixed looking people are claiming Black and throwing up Black fist emojis, even if they are white passing, but there is still a heavy belief in the caste system. Even some whites are claiming distant African ancestors, to be honest alot of the cacs be just as heavy into the Santeria and Voodoo wave as the rest of us :manny:
I noticed the phenotype thing heavily when I was in PR/Cuba.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
I noticed the phenotype thing heavily when I was in PR/Cuba.

Puerto Rican genetic makeup is similar to what I describe the Central and Western provinces being like, more lighter but still usually alot of tan brunettes while the Eastern side of Cuba is alot more similar to DR. They even talk Spanish like Dominicans. On more than one occasion Ive fukked up and confused the two here in Florida. Theres a huge interregional rivalry as well because Santiago was the capital before and that area is home to alot of major players from the great generals like Antonio Maceo (black forefather of the country) to Fidel himself. Thats why Castro got the support of the black population because not only did he promise to end segregation, job discrimination and redistribute the wealth and give black Cubans free healthcare, he was from that side. Alot of folks dont know that even tho there are many black Cubans that are against the dictatorship, alot of them (mostly old heads) still support it because quality of life improved in alot of areas

Counter Racist Male

Retired poster and occasional lurker
Daps
Reppin
MYSELF
I can't find the article right now but I remember reading an article about the racial breakdown of modern Cuba and it said the Blancos were overcounted because of light mulattos checking white and the Negros were undercounted because of medium/darker mixes avoiding "Negro" identification. Basically "Preto" is the undeniable version of black

this sounds similar to what the article I read was getting at

Yerp.

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
me no black papi

rawImage.jpg

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
When I went to Cuba all I say were people who had the same color skin as me (Blasian) or darker. My tour guide explained how almost everyone has a bit of African in them. The natives are the minority. If you can prove Spanish heritage you can live abroad in Spain. But yeah man, all I saw were black and brown people. Culturally they are African as fukk. Dance, music, style, food.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its alot of blacks in cuba

More than pr

And other parts of carribean

Short answer, yes

Its alot of blacks in cuba

More than pr

And other parts of carribean

No it’s not. It’s very mixed and also very segregated

Also this depends a lot what city you’re in.

Cuba is very complex they definitely don’t see things as black & white like USA

But race is a big issue

But to say it’s blacker than other Caribbean islands is a joke

It’s really balanced mixed kinda like Rio in Brazil