Is Cuba really majority black?

Vegeta

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just curious cause I've seen some sources state Cuba is majority black. Such as the following:

The now-defunct Institute for Cuban and Cuban-American Studies at the University of Miami put the percentage of Cuba's black population at 62%.

Afro-Cubans - Wikipedia

However I also see sources like this one that state Cuba is only like 10-15% black.

white 64.1%, mulatto or mixed 26.6%, black 9.3%

Cuba Demographics Profile 2019

So what's the truth? I know that a lot of the White Cuban elite left Cuba post-revolution and moved elsewhere. I also know Havana supposedly has a lot of blacks in it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Explain really curious about this I always felt that Cuba and Haiti are like the most pro-black and pan africna countries in the Caribbean
Both countries had more enslaved Africans arrive there than the United States. So most pro Black or Pan African can be debated , but in terms of high concentrations of African blood both countries are at the top of the list in the Western Hemisphere.

The Blackout

F-ck Da Mods
Daps
there are more blacks on all of these plantations than the white man would lead us to believe; in part bc there were many blacks among many of the natives before any whites ever arrived on any non-caucasoid land.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
It used to be, it’s not now. Spain feared it would be another Ayiti and “invited” Spaniards, Italians, Jews and other Europeans to whiten the country. It happened all over Latin America. It’s not majority black but there’s a large black population.
I'm familiar with that happening in Latin America, most famously in Argentina.
Wasn't aware of the extent of it in Cuba. But wouldn't those people have married into the white Cuban population, and been among the ones who fled the country after the Revolution?

Also, to what do you attribute the differences between the " official " census figures and those from the U. of Miami? There are basically reversed.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
I'm familiar with that happening in Latin America, most famously in Argentina.
Wasn't aware of the extent of it in Cuba. But wouldn't those people have married into the white Cuban population, and been among the ones who fled the country after the Revolution?

Also, to what do you attribute the differences between the " official " census figures and those from the U. of Miami? There are basically reversed.
Well I’ll put it to you like this. The hierarchy is those born in the Peninsula and those born of pure Spanish blood to parents from Spain (Criollos). The ones directly from Spain continue to be at the top, followed closely by criollos. Ironically, Castro was a Criollo and Batista was a trigueno (black, white, native) but he served a better purpose for America and the mob. A portion of the whites are of pure or mostly Spanish blood and criollos (who have Spanish passports) maybe some are castizo. Blanqueamiento happened all over Latin America. Also it depends on what you consider black. Do triguenos, mulattos, and zambos count? I think sometimes people confuse a large presence of black culture with a large black population. I’m no expert though. @CubanVoodooBreh can correct me if I’m wrong.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
@Elle Driver
I'm familiar with the castas system in Spanish speaking countries.
What I was asking you about was the likelihood of the recruited white immigrant families staying in Cuba after the Revolution.
Not everyone left, plenty Spaniards still in Cuba.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Depends which side, its a small island but its still the biggest in the carribbean and there are cultural/ethnic differences by province

Eastern provinces like Santiago, Bayamo, Trinidad, Guantanamo = majority Black and mulatto, big Haitian influence, former capital and where most of the leaders hail from

Central provinces like Camaguey, Sancti Spiritus, Cienfuegos = more trigueños and criollos, sleepy province in between the big cities of east and west

Havana province and surrounding like Matanzas and Mayabeque = heavily mixed, all races found here yet there are alot of historic black zones, but also some "uppity" tourist areas were you wont see too many black Cubans

Western provinces like Pinar Del Rio, Artemesia = lots of criollos, white cubans, equivalent to the bible belt theyre kinda backwoods

Isla de juventud province = parrots and crocodiles, tropical gulag island

Last edited:

Vegeta

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Depends which side, its a small island but its still the biggest in the carribbean and there are cultural/ethnic differences by province

Eastern provinces like Santiago, Bayamo, Trinidad, Guantanamo = majority Black and mulatto, big Haitian influence, former capital and where most of the leaders hail from

Central provinces like Camaguey, Sancti Spiritus, Cienfuegos = more trigueños and criollos, sleepy province in between the big cities of east and west

Havana province and surrounding like Matanzas and Mayabeque = heavily mixed, all races found here yet there are alot of historic black zones, but also some "uppity" tourist areas were you wont see too many black Cubans

Western provinces like Pinar Del Rio, Artemesia = lots of criollos, white cubans, equivalent to the bible belt theyre kinda backwoods

Isla de juventud province = parrots and crocodiles, tropical gulag island

Great post :salute: would rep if I could. Also I have a few more questions:

-What would you guess the real racial demographics of Cuba (white, black, mulatto, mestizo, etc.) are overall?
-How are blacks treated in Cuba and generally perceived?
-Is intermarriage common between black and white/non-black Cubans?

:sas1: