Is any actor an "actors actor" and a movie star?

Billie Jean

everything I did wrong...worked.
Daps
Reppin
Neverland
It’s really tough to think about women in this category; distinguishing between versatile and being an actors actor is tough.

I would say Angela Bassett, is very versatile but I don’t know how others perceive/like her. Viola Davis could be, but I don’t know how others perceive her. Thoughts?
Viola Davis definitely. Meryl Streep,Regina King...

And I had to really think about these :dahell:

Makes you wonder if women are marketed as actor actors at all

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
With women it's gonna be way more difficult to pin down nominees. A lot of women are just hot and get chances based on casting couch surfing or *deep sigh* the Weinstein experience.

Even Glen Close talks up Weinstein.

As far as being in both categories, I have to ask, do the women have to be on the same level as the men? No woman is on that level with guys like Cruise, Smith and Arnold as far as box office. Outside of Disney/Marvel projects I mean. ScarJo would be #1 with like 10 billion from 2 Cap movies and 4 Avengers flicks. But then no one will ever call her an actress' actress though.

I'd have to really give this some thought as far as the ladies go.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Viola Davis definitely. Meryl Streep,Regina King...

And I had to really think about these :dahell:

Makes you wonder if women are marketed as actor actors at all
Meryl Streep for sure, viola , Regina just got there 25-30 years into her career and I still don’t think she’s a star to the general public, I don’t think her name sells a movie

Nicole Kidman is/was marketed that way, Sandra Bullock was there for a min as well

A tier down Jennifer Lawrence was being positioned as such, and Jolie, Theron, porter and Mcadams all had a moment they flirted with it after some very compelling dramatic roles

Lupita is/was also trying to flirt with that type of title

SunnyD

All Star
Daps
For women I think Kathy Bates ( Misery, American Horror Story, e.tc) could be added to the list.

Big Mountain Hélà

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
954/718
16330129-D422-48-A1-ACC4-B6-CB422230-E7.jpg

Jermio

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Christian Bale is by far the best answer
I disagree. Bale doesn't have movie star charisma. When he's leading a movie and doesn't have a major physical transformation he struggles. Look at how Russell Crowe destroyed him in 3:10 to Yuma (Foster and Lerman were much much better too), how bland he was as Bruce Wayne/Batman (despite TDK being amazing), how Damon put Ford v. Ferrari on his back, etc. Bale is a an actor's actor, but he's not a movie star in the way people like Tom Cruise, Denzel, Leo are. All of Bale's best performances are playing gargoyles (The Fighter, American Hustle, Vice, etc.), with the possible exception of Public Enemies. He can't pull off a Catch Me If You Can or Training Day type performance.