Is a High Protein Diet Absolutely Necessary?

b_low_brown

Daddyface
Daps
Do I need to eat my body weight in protein to build muscle?

I'm seeing more and more sources from recent studies say you don't need that much protein

What's y'all take on this?

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Do I need to eat my body weight in protein to build muscle?

I'm seeing more and more sources from recent studies say you don't need that much protein

What's y'all take on this?
Not your body weight. A percentage of your body weight.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
the recommended for maintenance is 1g or protein per lb of "Lean Body Mass" which is determined by bodyfat

a safer bet is 1g protein per "kg"

the more the better though, protein unlike carbs and fats has the potential to be used to rebuild or build new tissues. Thus why people go for more. The amount of protein in your system can influence hormones(still theory though, but probably a safe bet)

when bulking(with intent to produce new muscle) a protein surplus is a must.

Daps
Absolutely necessary? Nope.

All kinds of studies on protein intake. You'll get the best info from University studies regarding college athletes and such. A quick google search or college textbooks will bring up a bunch of these.

Stay away from the studies by supplement companies, their main goal is to tell you that you need more of a product they sell so they can profit. Reading the side of a muscle tech container will give you these.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'd say a high protein diet is good for bulking or cutting. It's good for obvious reasons if you're bulking.

But it's still a good idea even if you're cutting or maintaining. Protein keeps you full longer than carbs and has less calories per gram than fat. It also taks more energy to digest. So you'd be less likely to gain unwanted weight on a high protein diet than a high-carb or high-fat one.

semtex

:)
Daps

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My pops was bigger than amateur bodybuilders when he was younger. Never took whey. So yes, you can do it.

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
i get all my protein from meats with a lil help from BCAAs, but on average I consume 60-80 pounds of protein a day without whey scoops. I still have the muscles I gain with no lost

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
i get all my protein from meats with a lil help from BCAAs, but on average I consume 60-80 pounds of protein a day without whey scoops. I still have the muscles I gain with no lost

:dwillhuh: is that even possible breh

milk, kashi cereal, chicken breast, fish, beef, egg whites,oatmeal etc

check the nutrition breh all of it adds up

im not saying i cook everything I listed every day lol btw

:heh: read what you posted out loud breh

Just like bruddas

Supporter
Daps
:heh: read what you posted out loud breh

yeah I see what you mean breh :snoop: I need some sleep.

but anyway its possible to get that much of protein a day from other sources besides scoops. Us fitness pal and it will do all the work for you.

Chicken breast salmon and beef can easily meet quotas

Just like bruddas

Supporter
Daps
I'd say a high protein diet is good for bulking or cutting. It's good for obvious reasons if you're bulking.

But it's still a good idea even if you're cutting or maintaining. Protein keeps you full longer than carbs and has less calories per gram than fat. It also taks more energy to digest. So you'd be less likely to gain unwanted weight on a high protein diet than a high-carb or high-fat one.

for better cutting results amino acids will do you justice