Intimidated About Going Into The Gym For The First Time

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
aight...been doing calisthenics for a while now (completed the 100x100 pushups recently) and finally want to make a jump into a regular gym, but the entire thing kinda intimidates me...i've never touched a weight so i don't know anything about my max and how to find it or a starting routine, ect...i'm not so much embarrassed as to what the more experienced cats there will think, i'm sure they see starters there all the time...also not tryin to ask any for help, cause they prolly get many people who come in go wasting their time asking for advice...also don't have anybody to go with or spot me if shyt gets rough...

am i just thinkin too much about this shyt??? i wanted to go ahead and join the LA Fitness near me, but might just start off at the Planet Fitness across the street instead...

anybody got any good beginner workout/diet plans??? anything you wish you knew as a beginner???

Actually6Foot3

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
You're thinking too much. No one gives a fukk if you only squat the bar, dumbbell press 15lbs or can't do a pull up

How do I know? That was me 8 months go. Except a started with 25lbs on the bar at least :manny:

:pacspit:fukk planet fitness. Fat Bums go there to eat pizza and tootsie rolls. You want to be in a gym with real equipment, free weights, and people who know what they're doing.

Advice: if a machine/bench is being used and none are free Ask to work in with that person this is how I've learned from nanny people at the gym cause when it's my turn and I'm fukkin up they are quick to correct my miscues

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I wouldn't think about it too much. Experienced cats mostly are concerned with their routine for the day. Even if you look in this forum when we are discussing fukkery it's mostly these strange (to some) movements and routines and less about what weights people lift.

A far as advice there is a ton on YouTube. Watch videos and apply it accordingly. It's a long process where you are consistently learning so embrace it.

Last edited:

1-8-7-Skillz

Superstar
Daps
Dont worry thats really all I can tell you. Especially the really brolic cats that been lifting for a long time now are usually really chill and try their best to help out newbies.
Got one cat in my gym whos preparing to go on stage this year, dude is mad brolic and makes everyone else in the gym look soft compared to him but hes chill af :yeshrug:

SchrodingersStrapped!

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.O.G/TMT/GGG/EL CHACAL
You're thinking too much. No one gives a fukk if you only squat the bar, dumbbell press 15lbs or can't do a pull up

How do I know? That was me 8 months go. Except a started with 25lbs on the bar at least :manny:

:pacspit:fukk planet fitness. Fat Bums go there to eat pizza and tootsie rolls. You want to be in a gym with real equipment, free weights, and people who know what they're doing.

Advice: if a machine/bench is being used and none are free Ask to work in with that person this is how I've learned from nanny people at the gym cause when it's my turn and I'm fukkin up they are quick to correct my miscues
This...and repped

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As long as you have proper form and ettiquette (wipe down machines and benches after you use them, don't block people's mirror space, put weights back) no one will care what you're lifting.

Hell, I'm way more impressed when I see someone squat the bar ATG than I am by nikkas throwing mad plates on and quarter squatting. :scust:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Yea I was gonna say if you want to make a good impression learn the ettiquette and general "rhythm" of your gym. And go in with a plan every time... have a work out predetermined; don't go in trying to wing it. But yea, you should start with the bar and master form first... then start adding weight until you find your limit. But everyone had to start somewhere. I was lucky/unlucky in that I got to start with my friends.... but I didn't start hitting legs until like 10 years later :dead:

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I'm the freshest nikka in my gym :takedat: I don't have these problems :hhh:

When you look good you feel great :blessed:

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Neptune
I understand where you're coming from. I went back to the gym for the first time in 8 months and I felt so small compared to the regular folk i used to see in there. The guy beside me at the bench press machine was lifted 60lbs each side (excluding bar weight) while I was starting with 25lbs on each side. I felt lame lol but then i looked around and noticed something i should have realized.

No one really gives a damn about what you are doing. They are all their doing their own thing.

Sure, you're going to see a bunch of big dudes who outmatch you in every way physically. They're going to be men and women there training other people even though they aren't really allowed to (some gyms do, some gyms don't).

But the reality is you're there for the same reason the rest of them are. Nowadays I go in with a "who gives a shyt" mentality, I know no one gonna look at me so i go in there and stretch in the middle of the room, after my upper body workout i stretch, before i do cardio i stretch. people don't care what you are going to do. just do you and you will feel comfortable after like 5-10 minutes

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
i didn't make this thread because i was intimidated about people looking at me or being smaller than everybody else, moreso because i've never touched a weight in my life and don't know what the fukk i'm doing or where to start...

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Nobody cares bro - we all in there for self improvement.

BUT start low.