Indian government to endorse Universal Basic Income

bsmooth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.businessinsider.com/indi...asic-income-free-money-economic-survey-2017-1
LONDON - The Indian government is set to endorse Universal Basic Income, according to one of the leading advocates of the scheme.

Professor Guy Standing, an economist who co-founded advocate group Basic Income Earth Network (BIEN) in 1986, told Business Insider that the Indian government will release a report in January which says the idea is "feasible" and "basically the way forward."

The idea behind universal basic income is simple: a regular state payment made to all citizens (one variation specifies adults), regardless of working status.

Advocates say it would provide a vital safety net for all citizens and remove inefficient benefit systems currently in place; critics say it would remove the incentive for citizens to work and prove to be wildly expensive.

It has, however, attracted a growing amount of attention across the world, in both rich and developing countries.

Standing, professor of development at the School for African and Oriental Studies, is considered one of the leading proponents of UBI. He has advised on numerous UBI pilot schemes, and recently returned from California, where he consulted on a $20 million trial set to launch in California this year.

He was closely involved with three major pilot schemes in India - two in Madhya Pradesh, and a smaller one in West Delhi.

The pilots in Madhya Pradesh launched in 2010, and provided every man, woman, and child across eight villages with a modest basic income for 18 months. Standing reports that welfare improved dramatically in the villages, "particularly in nutrition among the children, healthcare, sanitation, and school attendance and performance."

He also says the scheme also turned out some unexpected results.

"The most striking thing which we hadn't actually anticipated is that the emancipatory effect was greater than the monetary effect. It enabled people to have a sense of control. They pooled some of the money to pay down their debts, they increased decisions on escaping from debt bondage. The women developed their own capacity to make their own decision about their own lives. The general tenor of all those communities has been remarkably positive," he said.

"As a consequence of this, the Indian government is coming out with a big report in January. As you can imagine that makes me very excited. It will basically say this is the way forward."

The report will likely form part of the Economic Survey, a document prepared annually by India's Ministry of Finance. Arvind Subramanian, the Chief Economic Adviser to the Government of India, confirmed to Basic Income News in October that the pros and cons of universal basic income would be a theme of the upcoming report.

Standing said: "I don't expect them to go the full way, because it's such a dramatic conversion. But [BIEN] now have a huge network in India, and we've got a big conference scheduled in March in Delhi funded by the Canadian government, and partly funded by the Azim Prenji Foundation which is the biggest philanthropic foundation in India."

The Economic Survey will be published on January 31.

rs_500x282-140121122606-indianaboyguitar.gif

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That would be crazy if India led the way forward on this. I really expected it to be some technologically-infused nation first.

But when they talk about the benefits, I can see how it would be as good for them as for a rich nation.

India especially has a problem with a massive demographic shift from rural areas to urban areas. Everyone wants to make money because small farms don't feel secure anymore (there are a lot of reasons for that), because climate change is making some spots more difficult to make a living in, and because shyt happens where you need to support an aging or sick family member. So working people flee to the cities, slums grow like crazy, all sorts of social problems erupt. And the rural areas begin dying off, land gets bought up by agribusiness....it's really an ugly situation.

You give people a basic income, they don't have to worry about abandoning their land and their family to make a basic living. Some of them are going to stay in school longer. Others will stay building up the family farm longer. Others will stay home and take care of the family members who need care. And others are going to chase their dreams doing a job that is really interesting to them and that really makes a difference in the world rather than those mind-numbling slave-like jobs they've been forced to do just to make a living.

I'll copy-and-paste something I said in another thread.

The last few centuries we've had amazing time-saving technologies. A tractor can do the work of hundreds of men. A semi truck can do the work of hundreds of men. A computer can do the work of hundreds of men. And on and on and on.

We should all be working 15-20 hour weeks, tops, with all this labor-saving technology. But we don't. Because the people with the money want to keep getting even more of the money, so they force a constant-growth, interest-based economic system. A system that pushes people to work more and more "creating capital" that no one actually needs for the sole purpose of ensuring that the interest-class continues to capture most of the wealth simply by the mere fact that they own things.

It isn't like any of those rich people invented all these labor saving devices that make them wealthy. Wealthy at the expense of workers who they continuously degrade with long hours of meaningless work at low pay, or fire once they can use the profits the workers earned them to buy a machine to replace them. The entire human culture together over history has made those labor-saving advances. Everyone should benefit, but instead the poor just get laid off and have to grub for a new job, while the rich get to own all the new toys, then push the economy to a place where they keep controlling more and more of it.

We need some MAJOR changes soon. Tops among those are probably eliminating the interest-based constant-growth economy in favor of a devaluating currency (which encourages loans and the constant spreading of wealth while penalizing accumulation), and institute a universal basic income (so that everyone gets their fair share of the fact that human culture has eliminated the necessity for everyone to work) to cover the essentials of life, and gives those people the chance to actually do something meaningful with their life.

Airfeezy

All Star
Daps
I think this actually has a chance in america. Republicans and Democrats both support it as an alternative to other social programs. Plus once automation really kicks in who will have the money to pay for all of these products being produced if 20 percent of the population loses their job to automation

bsmooth

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think this actually has a chance in america. Republicans and Democrats both support it as an alternative to other social programs. Plus once automation really kicks in who will have the money to pay for all of these products being produced if 20 percent of the population loses their job to automation

I think it has a terrible chance in America despite that wide-ranging base support because of the relative instability of American democracy. It will require long-term planning and a massive paradigm shift in how people think about in concepts of work and the economy and I just see it as being easily derailed from gaining meaningful traction in such an ideological heavy, hyper-political country.

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
All major countries will have to head towards this in the 80 years. The world population is set to grow to 11bn while automation and AI is increasing exponentially AND people are living longer - it's inevitable. Those facts alone mean our current economic models will break down.

keepemup

Banned
Daps
"According to the leaders of the scheme."

These Communists get around.

dondraper

Banned
Daps
They will reap the benefits of being first adaptors of something that is inevitable unless we want civilization to collapse.

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
All major countries will have to head towards this in the 80 years. The world population is set to grow to 11bn while automation and AI is increasing exponentially AND people are living longer - it's inevitable. Those facts alone mean our current economic models will break down.
It's going to happen WAYYYY sooner than that

Mark of the Beast

It's coming

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Just get this chip in your arm Pradesh and take this vaccine Priyanka....and UBI is yours..........oh and we gone to add a social credit score like China.....where we deduct from your UBI if you crititicize corruption in Delhi or the lack of parks in Madras..................:francis:.

I'm not saying there aren't benefits to UBI, since let's be honest, digital and robotic tools will be taking over so many functions of society ..........but a system like UBI is very technocratic and treats people like digits....so if you aren't being "efficient" you will be forced to fall off into oblivion aka basic poverty they already have.

India's population is still growing like gangbusters, even though it has slowed down, so demograhers, policy makers/technocrats feel this is how to create a more sustainable country. Like anything else it is likely going to come with sacrifices of something IMO. Maybe they can include contraceptives/prophylactics in this UBI.

My question though is do you pay taxes on UBI money?

Last edited: