In a strange twist of fate, Sony's making more PS4's while MS is discontinuing the XB1

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
And both stories broke within a day of each other via Bloomberg and The Verge:skip:

Sony Is Dealing With PlayStation 5 Shortage by Making More PS4s

The Japanese conglomerate told assembly partners late last year that it would continue making its earlier-generation machine through this year, according to people familiar with the matter. While Sony never officially announced when it would stop making the PS4, it had previously planned to discontinue assembly at the end of 2021, they said, asking not to be named as the plans are not public.

A Sony spokesperson confirmed PS4 production would continue this year and said the company had not planned to stop making the console. “It is one of the best-selling consoles ever and there is always crossover between generations,” the company said.

Microsoft has discontinued all Xbox One consoles

Microsoft has stopped manufacturing all Xbox One consoles. The software giant originally discontinued the Xbox One X and digital Xbox One S ahead of the Xbox Series X launch, then quietly stopped manufacturing the Xbox One S at the end of 2020, leaving retailers to sell out their remaining stock.

“To focus on production of Xbox Series X / S, we stopped production for all Xbox One consoles by the end of 2020,” says Cindy Walker, senior director of Xbox console product marketing, in a statement to The Verge.

“We can actually build more of the Series S [chips] in the same [chip] die space as we can the Series X,” said Spencer. That’s a key reason for why we’re seeing steady Xbox Series S stock, alongside Microsoft’s decision to quietly discontinue the Xbox One S in favor of its next-gen consoles.

Just a friendly reminder to believe in your generations, and as always, I'm simply reporting the news
full

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
Producing 1m more PS4s vs stopping production on an albatross. What's the [negative] spin here?
I think OP is just pointing out the irony/hypocrisy of it all. I don't disagree with the move but Sony was the one screaming "we must charge forward!" and now we seeing them renege :francis: