IMO, Truth Hurts' "Addictive" ft. Rakim has been the best song Aftermath has ever released

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Before those songs, Tim had songs throughout Indecent Proposal. They just weren't hits:

Even going back as far as 1998 with his remix of xscape's "My Little Secret" at the 2:57 mark:

And then even some of his hits from that time period dabbled in it:

I hear you, but all I'm saying is during THAT TIME (01'/02') it was definitely 1 of the 1st and to me and my nikkas, that song stood out during that time.
shyt goes in cycles, so what 1 producer does at 1 time, another will come back n do a couple of years later.
shyt goes by so fast in Hip Hop that 2 to 3 years later seems like an eternity.
All I'm saying is Addictive was a unique record to ME.
Quik did the Bollyhood sampling better than Timbaland IMO.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I was by no means trying to discredit song. I was simply stating that nothing about it was unique at the time. Even the sample used on "Addictive" is still a nod to Ra's own "Paid In Full".

That's the cool part bout Addictive, the nod to Paid In Full in production AND how Ra quoted himself, it allowed him to kind of reintroduce himself again.

shyt is just all around classic to me.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
I didn't know who Rakim was until this song and the 8 mile soundtrack. Dre should have capitalized and dropped the album introducing ra to a new generation.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
He was until him and Dre/Aftermath had "creative differences" with the direction his music should go.
I think I remember hearing Dre wanted Rakim to spit some gangsta shyt and Ra didn't wanna go that route.

How the F U CK do you sign the God MC Rakim and expect him to spit Gangsta shyt:why:

That’s literally like signing Nas and expecting him to start singing like N’Sync

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
Twitter would call this cultural appreciation if it came out in 2017

dope song tho... best song After Math put out was "Many Men" by 50

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Meanwhile, the story's other half was taking place in America. In April 2001, the innovative hip-hop producer Timbaland sampled a tabla and a tumbi in Missy Elliott's ''Get Ur Freak On,'' and the result -- which flirts with bhangra without being bhangra -- became a huge hit. Confused American fans called it Indian, Middle Eastern, Chinese. It was a pure pop moment, the facts deferring to the sounds.

Soon thereafter, DJ Quik produced a song called ''Addictive,'' which made prominent use of the Indian film song ''Thoda Resham Lagta Hai.'' (Prominent and unlicensed: the songwriter successfully sued Interscope Records and the executive producer Dr. Dre for credit.) And the hip-hop producer Just Blaze nicked a Bollywood sample for Erick Sermon's ''React.'' Then earlier this year Jay-Z, in a nightclub in Switzerland, heard Panjabi MC's sleeper hit. He decided to rap over it, and that's the song that now seems to be playing on every street corner and in every store.

MUSIC; Hip-Hop Is a Guest At the Indian Wedding
:why: why you ain't mention big pimpin, breh?

this predates it as well.