If you purchased a LG TV between 9/14/20 - 11/22/20 get in here.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I had my expectations in check when I used it, that being said this shytS on the old JBL Flip 2 I got :whew: the clarity is light years better. I switched the sound profile to standard mode on the LG XBOOM app real quick, the default boost mode is :trash:

The bass output is controlled but underpowered, the low-mids are a little too low, the high-mids (where the vocals and most instrumentation lay) are surprisingly good and the treble output is cool without being annoyingly bright. However, one big caveat is that music in general sounds pretty flat, albeit not distorted nor inaccurate. There's just enough frequency separation that you can mostly distinguish individual instruments from each other but not enough where they "pop" out from each other. These ain't no substitute for studio monitors, I'm used to my Focal Alpha 50s and the difference in the way music hits on those vs this speaker is literally night and day. For a portable speaker though (and a free one at that) this is a solid option fr.

Songs I played for reference:

Cousin Fik "Bay Area 51"
Young Thug "Digits"
Whoridas "Taxin"
2Pac "Picture Me Rollin"
Miles Davis "John Mclaughlin"
MF DOOM "Gas Drawls"
Madvillain "Rhinestone Cowboy"

Interestingly it sounded the best on the last 2 MF DOOM tracks in terms of it hitting the way it does on better speakers, it seems like if the bass isn't the main focus of the track and the vocals are mixed more forward, this speaker does better, as opposed to the majority of 90's music where the vocals are mixed quieter and the majority of contemporary music where the bass is mixed more forward. In other words, this would be a pretty good option for 2000s era Hip Hop/R&B (chipmunk soul and Kanye type beats in particular) where voices were typically mixed a little louder and the bass typically wasn't the focus. I just played Cam'ron "Oh Boy" based on this suspicion and I was right, it sounds WAY more like how it hits on my monitors than any of the other tracks do. This wouldn't be my first choice for a trap speaker, you'd probably be better off with the beats by dre pill speaker.