If You Can Remember When Encyclopedia/Almanac/Guiness Were Search Engines in Hardback.....Reps/Dapss

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
"Go check the Encyclopedia" was what you were told if someone on the rare moment wanted to look up something deeper..and/or .INSTANTLY....if you even had a set of books. :francis:

If you didn't know the answer or you were debating about accuracy of something, you just debated until you got tired of debating. :snooze:

Nobody was really trying or even able to look through different sources to figure out something...INSTANTLY...unless you just really wanted to know. It was relatively INCONVENIENT, unless it was in the same house/building, although it had a shytload of information. An abbreviated library.:coffee:

If you were at a cookout, nobody was going to go back to a house or library and look to see if something was correct or look deeper....you just debated or let it go...and :cook: :eat:

Encyclopedias were so prolific as the foundation of easily accessible abbreviated knowledge in hardcover, we even had a Fictional Tween Investigator named Encyclopedia Brown

These were the Search Engines Before Search Engines.
91aTm6j5iHL.jpg

27b80eb6-b1b3-4f9f-8ac1-9b84e2cd3fcb.jpg

9780716601807-us.jpg

If you remember life before Search engines and websites, reps and daps....you know the struggle and simpler times .:salute: :myman:.... when being ignorant/naive about the "particulars" of something in real time was just normal. :yeshrug: :manny: :ahh: :wow:

Last edited:

bammtronics

man sit 'cho ass down!
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach
To this day I'll argue with someone my age over trivia for 15 mins before realizing "oh wait we have the internet now" :flabbynsick:

Encyclopedia Brown was my shyt :banderas:

Last edited:

sanityovar8ted

OG Moma Coli....dat bytch Thowd!!!
Daps
Reppin
OAK CLIFF TX
Yes....yes....yes....at my granny house we had a WHOLE mf'n bookshelf of different types of encyclopedias...we had plant encyclopedias...animals encyclopedias....black history....Guinness book of world records came out erry year.....almanacs is just like records by the year. ....my granny would make us read the encyclopedias 2 give us sumthin 2 do. .she would just say pick 1 n read cuz we couldn't watch TV but 2 hrs a day except when she watch matlock or perry mason

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
My buddy in the apt. upstairs had the old set of World Book Encyclopedia. So, if we couldn't make it to the library, we had to ask his mom if we could read them and do our research. The White Cover set.
Libary had the current year encyclopedias, so it dawned on us that his set was outdated.

We used to get EB books from the Bookmobile and those Scholastic book order forms.
Class dubbed me Encyclopedia Black.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
That Encyclopedia Britannica :ohlawd:

Shyt was so satisfying when you found what you were looking for.

:dead: this thread made me realize one time my mom took my toys away and I had to “play with” the dictionary and ended up having fun looking up SNES and Sega character names :mjlol: