If the PlayStation VR goes on sale for 200 or less during Black Friday is it worth it?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I still see VR gaming as a gimmick like motion controls. The game design has to reach the level of them making a great game that just happens to be VR rather than the VR itself being the dominating feature of the game for it to surpass that.
How can you call something you've never tried a gimmick? There's plenty of great games and if you haven't tried it, you can't dismiss VR itself being the dominating feature of the game. RE7 in VR is much more immersive than just playing it on a TV. It's just too damn scary :mjcry:

Last edited:

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
I owned the PSVR twice , if the price tag is $200 I'd jump on it asap

The Star Wars game alone is worth the money , make sure you smoke some weed before you play
I literally felt like I was in another world ,

The only problem is most of the games are basically tech demos , but they're still fun as fukk

It also makes playing regular video games on a tv obsolete,

Was playing my PS4 games on the VR , shyt felt like a theater

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I owned the PSVR twice , if the price tag is $200 I'd jump on it asap

The Star Wars game alone is worth the money , make sure you smoke some weed before you play
I literally felt like I was in another world ,

The only problem is most of the games are basically tech demos , but they're still fun as fukk

It also makes playing regular video games on a tv obsolete,

Was playing my PS4 games on the VR , shyt felt like a theater
The Star Wars level is great, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's worth $200 to experience.
The level takes all of 15 minutes to beat and after that there's absolutely nothing else.
I'd say it's a must have if you have PSVR, but that level alone isn't enough to go out and buy a PSVR.
All that said, the library is much stronger now than when you had it before.

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
The Star Wars level is great, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's worth $200 to experience.
The level takes all of 15 minutes to beat and after that there's absolutely nothing else.
I'd say it's a must have if you have PSVR, but that level alone isn't enough to go out and buy a PSVR.
All that said, the library is much stronger now than when you had it before.
It's worth it for the experience though :yeshrug:

I felt like I was legit in space shyt was mind blowing.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I used to be all into VR. I have a PSVR, OR and Vive. After the novelty factor wore off, I barely used them again. There really isn’t a killer app just yet. Maybe it’ll happen, but it’s been a few years now. I kinda think VR might just be a fad. :yeshrug:

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
Y’all tripping I’m not even a gamer and i don’t even play video games but when i tried the VR and the oculus rift it was dope. People spend less money on bull shyt. This is actually legit if you into gaming

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I actually haven’t. I need to get on that
RE7 is IMO the best case in favor of VR hands down.
It made me a little nauseous after an hour but you know that will vary from person to person.
RE7 is a great game and in PSVR it really sets the game apart from anything else out there.
I think people would even argue that it was the game of the year for 2017 if they had played it in VR. I played 90 % of the game in PSVR while standing to add to the immersion. Playing it sitting down didn't feel the same.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
What games have you played in VR?
None. I have yet to see a VR game that I want to play as a game instead of because of VR. I'm not into gaming gimmicks so I'm not going to go out and buy an accessory dedicated to said gimmicks. I have a Gear VR that came free with a phone and I've never played a VR game on that either.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I used to be all into VR. I have a PSVR, OR and Vive. After the novelty factor wore off, I barely used them again. There really isn’t a killer app just yet. Maybe it’ll happen, but it’s been a few years now. I kinda think VR might just be a fad. :yeshrug:
This is my point. The software has to evolve beyond its gimmick. People played Wii Sports years ago and were blown away by motion controls I saw it as a novelty and look at motion controls today.

The whole premise of VR is a new way to play but the truth is in order for games to be really good they can't be built around a novel gimmick.

You should want to play the game even with the VR stripped away as in if they made the same game but built it for a conventional controller the game should still be good.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
None. I have yet to see a VR game that I want to play as a game instead of because of VR. I'm not into gaming gimmicks so I'm not going to go out and buy an accessory dedicated to said gimmicks. I have a Gear VR that came free with a phone and I've never played a VR game on that either.
I felt the same way about VR before I played it.
@Fatboi1 will tell you I gave Sony hell for PSVR before it launched. I criticized it for what I perceived to be a gimmick.
After playing it extensively I can tell you that unless you actually play it and experience all it has to offer first hand, you really have no idea what it's like.
The technology is incredible and so is the immersion it provides. There is nothing else like it.
You can't play Resident Evil 7 in PSVR and walk away saying that it's a gimmick.
I'm not saying that you have to go out and buy a PSVR. I'm just saying that until you use it, you can't speak on it because there is absolutely nothing else like it. I learned that first hand and had to eat my words.
Your statement: "You should want to play the game even with the VR stripped away as in if they made the same game but built it for a conventional controller the game should still be good." is the EXACT experience you get playing Drive Club VR, Eve Valkyrie, Resident Evil 7, and I'm sure is the case with Gran Turismo. These are all games that on a regular TV are great, but when play in VR offer a level of immersion that completely changes the experience.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I felt the same way about VR before I played it.
@Fatboi1 will tell you I gave Sony hell for PSVR before it launched. I criticized it for what I perceived to be a gimmick.
After playing it extensively I can tell you that unless you actually play it and experience all it has to offer first hand, you really have no idea what it's like.
The technology is incredible and so is the immersion it provides. There is nothing else like it.
You can't play Resident Evil 7 in PSVR and walk away saying that it's a gimmick.
I'm not saying that you have to go out and buy a PSVR. I'm just saying that until you use it, you can't speak on it because there is absolutely nothing else like it. I learned that first hand and had to eat my words.
Your statement: "You should want to play the game even with the VR stripped away as in if they made the same game but built it for a conventional controller the game should still be good." is the EXACT experience you get playing Drive Club VR, Eve Valkyrie, Resident Evil 7, and I'm sure is the case with Gran Turismo. These are all games that on a regular TV are great, but when play in VR offer a level of immersion that completely changes the experience.
But that's what those games are. Conventional games with a VR mode.

Portable games were a new way to play when they were introduced. I'm not even a portable gamer but they started making games on those platforms that I wanted to play so I bought the hardware even though I only really game at home.

I don't need VR to play Resident Evil 7 or Driveclub. I can play those games on the hardware I have right now.

I'm not looking to buy a game platform for novelty and gimmicks. I buy a platform because I want to play the games it has. I see no games on PSVR I feel like I need to play so I don't own it.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
But that's what those games are. Conventional games with a VR mode.

Portable games were a new way to play when they were introduced. I'm not even a portable gamer but they started making games on those platforms that I wanted to play so I bought the hardware even though I only really game at home.

I don't need VR to play Resident Evil 7 or Driveclub. I can play those games on the hardware I have right now.

I'm not looking to buy a game platform for novelty and gimmicks. I buy a platform because I want to play the games it has. I see no games on PSVR I feel like I need to play so I don't own it.
That’s fine if you have no interest in it, but to call it a novelty or a gimmick without ever having experienced it is illogical and hypocritical. Again, I’m speaking from experience because I felt the same way before I used it and understood how different the experience was. It’s like trying to describe the flavor of a new food to a person who has never tried something or anything like it and they say “I don’t want it” based on assumptions they came to from sight alone. You can play a game like RE7 perfectly fine on standard tv, but once you play it on VR you won’t want to play it ever again on a regular tv. You’ll feel incredibly cheated out of the experience. But you wouldn’t know that if you never tried it.