If Boxers have their fathers as coaches, does it stunt the growth of the Boxer's career?

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Good thread.

I don’t have the statistical backing, but surely there’s a disproportionately high level of father / son duo’s that have won championship bouts?

Fallouts however, often become just as bad though.

There’s definitely been a lot of high profile successes while other times it doesn’t work out so well.

My father has a bias against it because he used to work with the CSAC and the two events he worked that resulted in ring deaths came with the dying fighter’s father in the corner. The boxers didn’t want to let their fathers down and quit, and their fathers apparently didn’t feel it necessary to stop the fights.

The other boxer, David Gonzalez, ended up being involved in another ring death years later in Vegas with Joe Cortez as the ref. Gonzalez lost to Terry Norris a couple years later. He also survived getting shot outside a bar during the middle of his career.

The documentary After the Last Round also mentions the increased risks when a boxer has his father in the corner.

But this might just be anecdotal and people remembering certain cases. I don’t know if it’s actually worse.

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
There’s definitely been a lot of high profile successes while other times it doesn’t work out so well.

My father has a bias against it because he used to work with the CSAC and the two events he worked that resulted in ring deaths came with the dying fighter’s father in the corner. The boxers didn’t want to let their fathers down and quit, and their fathers apparently didn’t feel it necessary to stop the fights.

The other boxer, David Gonzalez, ended up being involved in another ring death years later in Vegas with Joe Cortez as the ref. Gonzalez lost to Terry Norris a couple years later. He also survived getting shot outside a bar during the middle of his career.

The documentary After the Last Round also mentions the increased risks when a boxer has his father in the corner.

But this might just be anecdotal and people remembering certain cases. I don’t know if it’s actually worse.
Yeah that's fukked up, you're right regarding the pitfalls of it, and I want to stress that I'm not (and haven't said in the posts) that this is something I support, I'm just saying it's a reality. Fathers will bash you if you don't get out of bed, trainers aren't in the house, if you catch my drift.

After the last round is a brilliant and important documentary.

Great post. I'm sorry your father had to bear witness to those deaths, this is sport, it shouldn't happen that way.

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Yeah that's fukked up, you're right regarding the pitfalls of it, and I want to stress that I'm not (and haven't said in the posts) that this is something I support, I'm just saying it's a reality. Fathers will bash you if you don't get out of bed, trainers aren't in the house, if you catch my drift.

After the last round is a brilliant and important documentary.

Great post. I'm sorry your father had to bear witness to those deaths, this is sport, it shouldn't happen that way.

Thanks.

Since he worked in the commission, he would bring me to watch fights ringside at small events when I was a kid. You gain a real appreciation of what boxers go through and how tough it is when you see it up close.

It’s a beautiful but extremely brutal sport. I remember one time this guy was cut and his blood would go spraying everytime he was hit.

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
It depends on the fighter & his motivation . Tom Aspinall is coached by his dad . He has a plan to make money & get out . McKee needs to get away from his dad because his dad clearly has no control of what he's doing . McKee is clearly out there smoking & drinking . You cannot smoke out your lungs as an athlete. He needs a reality check by looking in a mirror