If Boxers have their fathers as coaches, does it stunt the growth of the Boxer's career?

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

0:30

:laff: :laff: :dead: :dead:

I'm 50/50 on this. Like without their father sacrificing their time to build up their sons, they wouldn't be where they are at. But at the same time, they can put a cap on the Boxer's potential and end up being the mouthpiece for their son and not putting their son in the right headspace

- Teo and his father
- Devin Haney and Bill Haney
- Shawn Porter and his father
- Danny Garcia and his father

And Roy Jones and his father was well documented to be a volatile situation

Last edited:

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Superstar
Daps
Seems like a common thread in boxing

These young men may be stunted in their human development, as they are constantly striving for their father's approval - and they live for their father's praise, who is vicariously living through them

But seems to have resulted in a lot of the best of the best

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
Good thread.

I don’t have the statistical backing, but surely there’s a disproportionately high level of father / son duo’s that have won championship bouts?

Fallouts however, often become just as bad though.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
It's been a bad week for boxing fathers
Actually now I'm trying remember when it's ever been a good week for a boxing father :russ:
Coach Malachi had Kid Austin dad on one of his shows and dude seems like a straight weirdo. They have some kind of relationship as Malachi been over his house and all that and dude still exploded on him for simply asking how he'd ranked his sons opponents thus far
It's hard not to link the son to the dikkhead dad when the dad is the whole mouthpiece of the fighter but I try to remind myself not to dislike the son just because his representative is so abrasive

Boots dad is not as annoying as some of the others but now I'm starting to dislike him as well because of the way he's moving Boots behind the scenes

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
It's been a bad week for boxing fathers
Actually now I'm trying remember when it's ever been a good week for a boxing father :russ:
Coach Malachi had Kid Austin dad on one of his shows and dude seems like a straight weirdo. They have some kind of relationship as Malachi been over his house and all that and dude still exploded on him for simply asking how he'd ranked his sons opponents thus far
It's hard not to link the son to the dikkhead dad when the dad is the whole mouthpiece of the fighter but I try to remind myself not to dislike the son just because his representative is so abrasive

Boots dad is not as annoying as some of the others but now I'm starting to dislike him as well because of the way he's moving Boots behind the scenes

This is 100% facts. Just like with the Haneys. I like Devin Haney, I CAN'T STAND Bill Haney lol
No doubt in my mind any hate coming towards Devin's way is because of Bill :dead:

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
Yes- I always believed that. The father can get the fighter to a certain point but lines start blurring. Then when the son getting his weight up and becoming more known and respected, the father a lot of the time can't accept it. Whereas seeing the boxer as a man and in control of his career. Father too used to guiding their son in their life.

I think this was the case in Shawn Porter fight vs Bud. Kenny Porter was used to training his son a certain way and no pushback. Shawn been knowing himself and what is the best way to handle it at that time in his career. So Kenny being mad and feeling his son wasn't listening, stopped it to avoid the knockout that was incoming

A lot of these father trainers is not crazy skilled coaches and technicians on in fight adjustments. Angel Garcia, bill Haney, teofimo Sr. Dudes not good at in fight adjustments.

Now there are some good father trainers but I think the relationship eventually gets strained being together so long. Not just being a father and son but being in business together career wise.

Floyd Sr was good and bozy ennis knows his stuff but that's because they were fighters also.

We know Roy and his father stuff was crazy. Shane Mosley and his Dad. Oscar and his father also.

Edit: OP basically explained everything clearly. My bad I agree with everything on the OP

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
There's some great summaries about what eventuates in father son duos, but it's important to recognise that most, if not all of these fighters don't exist unless they begin with a parental maniac.

Any coach in the amateur systems (myself included) will tell you that an overzealous father is a difficult but crucial element between a good and a great fighter, more often than not.

There's just something different about the emotional blackmail and psychological ownership that exists when it's a blood relative.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
There's some great summaries about what eventuates in father son duos, but it's important to recognise that most, if not all of these fighters don't exist unless they begin with a parental maniac.

Any coach in the amateur systems (myself included) will tell you that an overzealous father is a difficult but crucial element between a good and a great fighter, more often than not.

There's just something different about the emotional blackmail and psychological ownership that exists when it's a blood relative.

Earl Woods and King Richard set their children free and their careers took off to astronomical levels

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Earl Woods and King Richard set their children free and their careers took off to astronomical levels

Facts

Zab Judah and his father was decent
Floyd and his father obviously had turmoil outside of the ring, but inside of the ring has been a great union

chunky_mcdaniels

All Star
Daps
We don't play boxing though.

You might have misconstrued the post somewhat. Overbearing parents aren't necessarily the answer for a fighters entire career, but they can often be the difference between a kid having accelerated development and the right attitude, or not.

This is just how it is.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
We don't play boxing though.

You might have misconstrued the post somewhat. Overbearing parents aren't necessarily the answer for a fighters entire career, but they can often be the difference between a kid having accelerated development and the right attitude, or not.

This is just how it is.
We don't "play" tennis or golf either. Those sports require and exceptional amount of work and concentration.