I thought Bantus/southern Africans slaves were never brought to the states?

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Who said Bantus were never brought to the states?
I talk to a few Africans online and they tell me that African Americans aren't genetically related to Southern Africans, indicating that they weren't brought to the u.s. but, reading all the information posted I see that they were wrong.

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
Most aren't there are some of course but most aren't. Most AA's as I posted above have Yourba and Southern Benin ancestry
Yeah I understand genetically we're mostly of west African origin. However I didn't know we had southern African ancestors as well (though it's small but it still counts)

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wide Genome studies have indicated that African Americans are largely composed of Yourba and Igbo ancestors with Mandinka and Bantu minorities
Individual_ancestry_estimates_for_128_African_Americans.png

I don't know what studies you are looking at, but African Americans are not overwhelming descended from Yoruba and Igbo ancestors. Some Igbo were taken to Virginia and some Yoruba were taken to the USA and the Caribbean; but by and large African Americans are descended from the Mande people from SeneGambia, and the Windward, Gold and Grain coasts (originally from the Kingdom of Mali) and the BaKongo people of the Kingdom of Kongo and Angola. If you can find an African American without a strong mixture of the people from those two regions then you have really found something.

African Americans are overwhelmingly from the regions of Senegambia, Windward Coast, Grain Coast, Gold Coast and West Central Africa, which encompass the modern countries of Sierra Leone, Liberia, Northern Ivory Coast, Northern Ghana, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, Senegal, Congo and Angola.

Africa.gif

Btw, there is a historical reason for that as well. It is because the slave owners in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia wanted people from Upper Guinea that were knowledgeable of rice production. The people of Kongo were brought in because the slave owners feared slave revolts and they tried to get slaves from different ethnic to lessen the chances of having revolts.

African-American mitochondrial DNAs often match mtDNAs found in multiple African ethnic groups
Senegambia, the Gold Coast, and the Bight of Benin - U.S. Slave Trade - The Abolition of The Slave Trade
NPS Ethnography: African American Heritage & Ethnography

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I talk to a few Africans online and they tell me that African Americans aren't genetically related to Southern Africans, indicating that they weren't brought to the u.s. but, reading all the information posted I see that they were wrong.
That's only if you believe South Africans represent ALL Bantus which they do NOT. "Bantu" is mainly a language family found south of West Africa. Slaves were taken from both West and West-Central Africa like places like Angola. The area of Angola which is majority Bantu.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I never heard anyone deny this....In fact, bantus from central west africa were the bulk of the slave trade.

mykey

Superstar
Daps
You do know that the Bantu people came from West Africa, right? The indigenous / native people of East Africa are the Cushytic Dorobo, Ogiek, Athi and Ngumba. These people are now exctint due to massive intermarriage with the settler Bantu.

Similarly, the native South Africans are the Khoisan. The Khoisan are also near exctint due to intermarriage with the Bantu. Nelson Mandela for example had heavy Khoisan admixture and you can see this in his "Asiatic" looking eyes.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
I don't know what studies you are looking at, but African Americans are not overwhelming descended from Yoruba and Igbo ancestors. Some Igbo were taken to Virginia and some Yoruba were taken to the USA and the Caribbean; but by and large African Americans are descended from the Mande people from SeneGambia, and the Windward, Gold and Grain coasts (originally from the Kingdom of Mali) and the BaKongo people of the Kingdom of Kongo and Angola. If you can find an African American without a strong mixture of the people from those two regions then you have really found something.

African Americans are overwhelmingly from the regions of Senegambia, Windward Coast, Grain Coast, Gold Coast and West Central Africa, which encompass the modern countries of Sierra Leone, Liberia, Northern Ivory Coast, Northern Ghana, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, Senegal, Congo and Angola.

Africa.gif

Btw, there is a historical reason for that as well. It is because the slave owners in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia wanted people from Upper Guinea that were knowledgeable of rice production. The people of Kongo were brought in because the slave owners feared slave revolts and they tried to get slaves from different ethnic to lessen the chances of having revolts.

African-American mitochondrial DNAs often match mtDNAs found in multiple African ethnic groups
Senegambia, the Gold Coast, and the Bight of Benin - U.S. Slave Trade - The Abolition of The Slave Trade
NPS Ethnography: African American Heritage & Ethnography

Very informative. Thanks.

@Akan dropping heat