I Had No Idea Salt & Pepa Sold More Than BIG, Pac & Nas...

Daps
Up until All Eyez On Me of course :lolbron:

Seriously...

SNP-VeryNecessary-cvr.jpg

This shyt went 5x platinum in the span of two years!

I remember these being major songs as a kid...I didn’t know the shyt was moving like that though

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
@thedevilyouknow as a kid in the 90s you would not be hyper of aware of record sale metrics. Wasn't really a cultural thing for youth to care about then as much

back then I didn’t give a shyt about sales. Still don’t. If I like it then I like it I don’t care if it sells 200 or 2 million.

Daps
@thedevilyouknow as a kid in the 90s you would not be hyper of aware of record sale metrics. Wasn't really a cultural thing for youth to care about then as much

I knew Doggystyle was going crazy I can tell you that. I knew about Bad Boy’s 97 & Def Jam’s 98. I knew about No Limit’s “100 Million Record Sold” claim as well.

That sort of thing was already being pushed in them days. I was not aware of how many units S&P was moving

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Those singles were big pop hits and were in commercials/TV/movies. SnP were everywhere once they broke from Herbie and did the female empowerment rap. They were the Cardi/Meg of the time, they just were focused and not ignorant. They were a bit raunchy, but with a message behind it.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
they won grammies for the bsides for none of your business

females were buying records like this too at a record pace... plus that shyt was all over the radio daily

think how women complain about not having shyt tailored to them... now put yourself in a record shop as a woman during that golden era... there's not many other CDs you are gonna buy. shyt is a no brainer sale.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
They were over to me by blacks magic. Never truly an album act but once she cacs co opted their music for trite female empowerment jams it was beyond over.

‘Everybody Get Up’ still gives me chills to this day though.

Vinny Lupton

Superstar
Daps
Once Death Row came out alot of NY acts from pre-95 went extinct. But yeah Salt N Pepa were huge

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We tend to forget how popular some of the earlier acts were. You had artists with cartoons, tv shows, and movies.

Once Death Row came out alot of NY acts from pre-95 went extinct. But yeah Salt N Pepa were huge

What acts are you talking about?

Last edited: