I Don't Know Where to Put This, So F It: A Thread aka the T$C Year End Awards

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
My votes below of the categories mentioned thus far. Eliminated categories I don't care about or considered repetitive. Have less than zero interest in voting on negative categories,

Men's Wrestler of the Year: Will Ospreay
Women's Wrestler of the Year: Giulia
Best Non-Wrestler (manager, authority figure, etc.): Paul Heyman
Best Commentator: Nigel McGuinness
Most Improved Wrestler: Mariah May
Best on Promos: Christian Cage
Best In-Ring: Bryan Danielson
Best Feud: Swerve vs. Hangman
Best Match: Ospreay vs. Omega at Wrestle Kingdom
Best PPV/PLE: AEW All Out
Best angle or storyline: Bloodline
Best Black wrestler (male): Swerve
Best Black wrestler (female): Bianca Belair
Babyface of the year: Cody Rhodes
Heel of the year: Christian
Funniest wrestler of the year: Christian - the dead father thing kills me
Newest Star of the year: LA Knight - not good that the biggest new star of the year is 41 though...
Rising Female Star: Julia Hart
Rising Male Star: Daniel Garcia
Biggest Surprise of the Year: CM Punk in WWE

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My votes below of the categories mentioned thus far. Eliminated categories I don't care about or considered repetitive. Have less than zero interest in voting on negative categories,

Women's Wrestler of the Year: Giulia I fukks with her heavy, but Rhea is on another level

Most Improved Wrestler: Mariah May I watch Stardom, but admittedly don't know much about her. Was she THAT bad in the ring originally?

Best Match: Ospreay vs. Omega at Wrestle Kingdom Good pick, but was it better than MJF vs Bryan Iron Man match?

Best PPV/PLE: AEW All Out Main event here was Orange vs Moxley. Unless you REALLY rock with one of those 2, then there's no way a card with this is the main event is Best PPV/PLE

Funniest wrestler of the year: Christian - the dead father thing kills me I can't argue with you there...When he was told about Inoki's son and Grandson being in the ring, and his reaction referenced his whole "dead dad" gimmick, that was GOLD.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Tried quoting the post but since the responses were inside the quotes it didn’t let me quote anything, so @El_Mero_Mero…

All my votes were based on personal preference. I watch wrestling for the wrestling. So match quality is by far the biggest factor for me when evaluating anything.

As far as Ripley goes, she’s only had 22 TV/PLE matches this year with five of those were squashes. And she’s had just three matches in the last three months. So I need more wrestling than that to give someone a wrestler of the year award. Now that’s not to say she hasn’t had some outstanding matches, she just has had sparingly few of them. Meanwhile Giulia is putting on bangers pretty frequently.

Mariah May wasn’t bad, just really inexperienced. She went from largely being a nobody when she joined to being one of the best foreign talents Stardom has ever had. Now before everyone gets all over my dikk about that, I said ONE of the best, not the best.

MJF vs. Danielson was definitely in the running. It was a difficult decision to make, but it’s always the first match that comes to mind when I think about it or am asked about it. So I figure that’s my gut telling me it was the best for me.

As far as All Out is concerned, top to bottom I felt that was the highest average match quality for any PPV/PLE I saw this year. And as I said before, match quality > everything else.

What Christian has done is really quite remarkable. The whole dead father thing was never intended to be funny, but it’s hilarious, and it has managed to work perfectly with his heel persona. And he’s managed to get a ton of real heel heat while also being funny, which is mighty damn impressive.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
I’ll add another category

Most Underrated: Ethan Page

I can finally say Chad Gable my pick this year so thank you HHH for finally pushing him some as a singles guy. It’s about god damn time someone recognized his brilliance.

Ripp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Excellent list.
The only categories I would add to your list are:
  • Best angle or storyline
  • Best wrestling podcast
  • Best Black wrestler (male)*
  • Best Black wrestler (female)*
*Since this is a predominantly Black message board, I think it's only right that we recognize (and in some cases, introduce) Black wrestlers who had a stellar 2023.

What if our best wrestler is already black? :patrice:

I personally got Melo and Bianca.

This isn't 1995 where we only had to choose from Farooq, Ahmed Johnson and Mark Henry. Granted we still have a long way to go... I dont like what WWE is doing with Lashley right now. Dude is a main event player and they have him lost in the sauce. And they took the air put of the sails of The almighty profits instantly

I dont watch AEW anymore but I hear swerve is killing it.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

This isn't 1995 where we only had to choose from Farooq, Ahmed Johnson and Mark Henry. Granted we still have a long way to go... I dont like what WWE is doing with Lashley right now. Dude is a main event player and they have him lost in the sauce. And they took the air put of the sails of The almighty profits instantly

Swerve is indeed killing it. Might just be the best thing going in AEW right now.

Ripp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
People were shytting on Snowman for making a massive deal of his signing at the time, but low-key outside of Danielson and Swerve he might be their best acquisition. Crazy run he's been on since returning from injury in February.

They tried to Marty Janetty Christian since like 2001 and it didn't fukking work... He deserves some type of lifetime achievement award honestly. He's been over since day one and always makes the best of his situations. He was the original dude to bet on himself and leave the E, Went to TNA became champ came back to WWE they tried to tank him with that ECW shyt and he still persevered somehow. Vince made him retire for like 8yrs for no reason. He comes back looking like he never lost a step. #BetterThanEdge

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

Name them twice, that's what I'll probably end up doing. :manny: They get two votes, one for their work, and one for the culture.

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’ll add another category

Most Underrated: Ethan Page

I can finally say Chad Gable my pick this year so thank you HHH for finally pushing him some as a singles guy. It’s about god damn time someone recognized his brilliance.
For here do you mean most underrated by the fans on the Internet, the fans in the crowd, or a combo of both?

Admittedly, I've barely followed Ethan Page at all this year, so I couldn't really say. I noticed that there was a moment in 2022 somewhere between his Impact Karate-man thing and in between his Dan Lambert squad thing that he was getting some shine at least amongst the "smart" fans. I believe that was in 2022 though.

Montez Ford, despite getting a lot of praise, is still underrated. It's like when a stock has a high share price, but the future is so bright that it's still undervalued.

For the Joshis, I really like girls like Yuka Sakazaki, Mei Suruga, and even Emi Sakura, but I guess that in their worlds these three are not considered "underrated". Two of my other favorites are AZM (who I do think is underrated based on her performances) and Hyper Misao (but admittedly I haven't seen much of Misao's work in 2023).

In WWE, my boy Giovanni Vinci has been underrated too (based off of what he can do in the ring).

Trips

Superstar
Daps
Men's Wrestler of the Year: Gunther
Women's Wrestler of the Year: Bianca Belair
Best Non-Wrestler (manager, authority figure, etc.): Paul Heyman
Best Commentator: Nigel McGuinness
Most Improved Wrestler: Dirty Dom
Best on Promos: Sami Zayn
Best In-Ring: Claudio
Best Feud: Punk v. AEW
Best Match: Melo v. Drag @ Great American Bash
Best PPV/PLE: --- nothing really jumps out to me this year
Best angle or storyline: Bloodline
Best Black wrestler (male): Melo
Best Black wrestler (female): Bianca Belair
Babyface of the year: LA Knight
Heel of the year: Swerve
Funniest wrestler of the year: Chelsea Green
Newest Star of the year: Solo
Rising Female Star: Tiffany Stratton
Rising Male Star: Trick Williams
Biggest Surprise of the Year: CM Punk in WWE

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
For here do you mean most underrated by the fans on the Internet, the fans in the crowd, or a combo of both?

Admittedly, I've barely followed Ethan Page at all this year, so I couldn't really say. I noticed that there was a moment in 2022 somewhere between his Impact Karate-man thing and in between his Dan Lambert squad thing that he was getting some shine at least amongst the "smart" fans. I believe that was in 2022 though.

Montez Ford, despite getting a lot of praise, is still underrated. It's like when a stock has a high share price, but the future is so bright that it's still undervalued.

For the Joshis, I really like girls like Yuka Sakazaki, Mei Suruga, and even Emi Sakura, but I guess that in their worlds these three are not considered "underrated". Two of my other favorites are AZM (who I do think is underrated based on her performances) and Hyper Misao (but admittedly I haven't seen much of Misao's work in 2023).

In WWE, my boy Giovanni Vinci has been underrated too (based off of what he can do in the ring).
Love those three Joshis.

Ethan Page I feel like should be a really good midcarder in AEW. Solid in-ring, can cut a good promo heel or face, and he’s put a ton of work in to get in peak physical condition. After Final Battle he should be back up in AEW.