How was Street Fighter X Tekken?

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
It was an eye sore. Looked like a beta version of Super Street Fighter 4 at the time.

Apparently the game was done well after an update but people were already soured after they botched the launch of this game.

You can trace a line from this game to MVCI and SF5 as to why Ono got tossed from Capcom. The same formula to stifle fighting game fans in these games and subsequent editions.

Good riddance.

:hhh:

Well it was SF4 graphics with a filter on it. They took the models and even some of the stages out of SF4 and vice versa.

You right about Ono but I also think Capcom as a company should get blame too. The fact that they thought we wouldnt notice that they reused the models from SF4/MVC3 on new games and didn't put any real effort into them is crazy, I don't think that's Ono fault. SF5 being unfinished at launch and turning into a frametrap fest with very little footsies (outside of menat) is Ono fault, however.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Well it was SF4 graphics with a filter on it. They took the models and even some of the stages out of SF4 and vice versa.

You right about Ono but I also think Capcom as a company should get blame too. The fact that they thought we wouldnt notice that they reused the models from SF4/MVC3 on new games and didn't put any real effort into them is crazy, I don't think that's Ono fault. SF5 being unfinished at launch and turning into a frametrap fest with very little footsies (outside of menat) is Ono fault, however.

Yeah that Resident Evil 5 on disc dlc first alerted everyone to Capcom's nonsense. Upgraded editions has always been their motive from Street Fighter 2 days as a company, make more money from reused models and sprites.

X-Factor, gem systems and V-Trigger pushed people too far and allowed these games to be evaluated on an objective basis, ironically. He was involved in too many projects, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter so it was easier to crank them out for shareholders and reduce costs this way, unfortunately it also has an effect on reputation.

SF5 is actually fun now, shame it took 4 or 5 seasons to finally get it there.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
The game flopped because there was a huge controversy about the game having DLC on the disc and making us pay for content that was already done and locked behind a paywall. People also hated the gem system.

My personal opinion was that the game wad fun but it suffered from the Tekken Tag mechanics in it like 2 fighters with a shared lifebar and tag in-tag out combos. If the game played more like CvS and was a straight up fighter with individual healthbars it would have been a better game.
the jewel system made me bush it

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The game flopped because there was a huge controversy about the game having DLC on the disc and making us pay for content that was already done and locked behind a paywall. People also hated the gem system.

My personal opinion was that the game wad fun but it suffered from the Tekken Tag mechanics in it like 2 fighters with a shared lifebar and tag in-tag out combos. If the game played more like CvS and was a straight up fighter with individual healthbars it would have been a better game.

Your first sentiment is correct. Your 2nd one is wrong as fukk, opinion or otherwise, fool. The Tekken Tag mechanic is a great part of what made the game great. Just unfortunate that Capcom handled the game wrong and the fighting game community also overreacting a bit as well, as they tend to do. Now you hear all these FGC purists clamoring how great it was and wishing it was still active on the scene. SMH

Last edited:

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
SFxTk was like the 3rd strike of the era.

To add on to that

It launched with the promise of dlc, and paid content to buy for casual players at a time where DLC was being crucified
Then it was found out that dlc was on the disc. It caused such a big blow back that I think most companies just stop putting dlc on disc at all from that point on.
The gameplay was good but the damage was too low and timer to short so competitively the game ended up being a snooze fest earlier on (even tho the problem was no one knew optimal combo's yet)

Then the update came out and fixed a ton of stuff but the casual crowd and media outlets had already branded it a evil game they won't support and people shouldn't support.

Fast Forward to like 2019 and people fell in love with the game all over again and how it was actually good but didn't get a fair chance.

I believe it still sold pretty well, but it was a huge black eye for capcom

Yeah, all of this.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Your first sentiment is correct. Your 2nd one is wrong as fukk, opinion or otherwise, fool. The Tekken Tag mechanic is a great part of what made the game great. Just unfortunate that Capcom handled the game wrong and the fighting game community also overreacting a bit as well, as they tend to do. Now you hear all these FGC purists clamoring how great it was and wishing it was still active on the scene. SMH

It's my personal opinion, fool. :pacspit:

MvCI had a similar mechanic and it also didn't do well. Tag games generally flow better without characters constantly tagging in/tagging out IN MY OPINION foh

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It's my personal opinion, fool. :pacspit:

MvCI had a similar mechanic and it also didn't do well. Tag games generally flow better without characters constantly tagging in/tagging out IN MY OPINION foh
Yeah, your opinion is hellaciously flawed, lol. And there's been tag games that have been very successful with that mechanic and flow just fine. MvCI is another game that capcom dropped the ball on and its tag mechanic is far and away from the reason as to why it did just that. So bad example, fool.

Daps
Yeah, all of this.
Nah you wrong he right. Tekken tag mechanics was always ass. DOA/mvc2 tag mechanics were better.

SfxT was an ugly as hell game. With a stupid pay2win gimmick.

Tekken characters can't sell on there own. And people only want the shoto's from street fighter.

I never saw how this game was gonna work.

Tekken 7 did it better by just having Akuma.

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
The story mode, character design, and overall game design was very ugly. I cringe when looking at the K.O. at the end of every match still to this day.

Gem systems and dlc, thread end.

I was already over Street Fighter IV before Super IV came out, so it didn’t help that SFxT used the same models over again.

the color contrast was way too high and vibrant.

2011 was legendary for fighting games, but that gen belonged to KOFXIII and MVC3.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
It was an eye sore. Looked like a beta version of Super Street Fighter 4 at the time.

Apparently the game was done well after an update but people were already soured after they botched the launch of this game.

You can trace a line from this game to MVCI and SF5 as to why Ono got tossed from Capcom. The same formula to stifle fighting game fans in these games and subsequent editions.

Good riddance.

:hhh:

Y’all love to hate on Ono, but will praise SF4 to no end, and run with this narrative he destroyed Capcom fighting games. The man had nothing to do with MvCi and SFV is the best selling Street Fighter to date. Nobody knows why Ono left Capcom, so y’all hold on to gossip about SFVI.

I swear the FGC doesn’t want change they just want the same game with new graphics.