How was Lil Wayne “biting” Jay Z viewed in real time?

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Idk I used to stan the shyt out of both of them and now I realize how much I overrated them both after expanding my palette

Some of my partners never really believed Wayne was copying Hov cause they just didnt listen/like NY shyt period to even make the comparison, I knew but it was more inspiration than flat out biting

I pick shyt up
Daps
Reppin
Vixens, Mascara's, Mary-Ann's
but I thought the south didn't listen to Jay-Z :ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:
It's a yes and no thing

Just around the way nikkas don't really listen to Jay like that.. You see it here and there but not often..

But a lot of rappers who actually make it do..

What surprised me was hearing Boosie quote a Jay lyric on a random song.. I don't listen to Boosie like that so I don't know the song but I'll never forget the lyric cuz it caught me off guard lol

"how could I go out that way
Still you asked to see me in the hospital the next day
You must love me"

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
Tw
It's a yes and no thing

Just around the way nikkas don't really listen to Jay like that.. You see it here and there but not often..

But a lot of rappers who actually make it do..

What surprised me was hearing Boosie quote a Jay lyric on a random song.. I don't listen to Boosie like that so I don't know the song but I'll never forget the lyric cuz it caught me off guard lol

"how could I go out that way
Still you asked to see me in the hospital the next day
You must love me"
so when jay went to and sold out the smoothie king center. It was east coast cats that traveled to New Orleans :mjlol:

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
Most Wayne fans don't know how big a fan of Jay he is so they don't really see it..

When you say Most Wayne fans who are you talking about? One of the singles from Carter 1 he literally says "best rapper alive since the best rapper retired"

I pick shyt up
Daps
Reppin
Vixens, Mascara's, Mary-Ann's
I feel ya

But

To sell out arenas by yourself in a region that dont listen to you is very strange 👻
Of course Jay could do that

There's just a large portion of a demo that wouldn't show up..

And be clear, Jay is my favorite rapper and I think he's the goat... Growing up though, nikkas would try to clown me for listening to him
When you say Most Wayne fans who are you talking about? One of the singles from Carter 1 he literally says "best rapper alive since the best rapper retired"
Casuals in the South

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
Of course Jay could do that

There's just a large portion of a demo that wouldn't show up..

And be clear, Jay is my favorite rapper and I think he's the goat... Growing up though, nikkas would try to clown me for listening to him

Casuals in the South

Casual Wayne fans don't come from the south. We were the ones listening to him as a Hot Boy, The SQAD mixtapes and Carter 1.

H. Selassie

Black Royalty
Daps
Regardless of all the homage/nods…I’ve NEVER listened to a Wayne verse, song, or album and thought to myself “Damn. He sounds JUST like Jay here.”

Wayne is and has always been distinctively different from Jay in every way imaginable (image, rap style, etc.) So much so that unless Wayne told you Jay was his favorite rapper you wouldn’t know. You don’t see dreads, tattoos, skateboards, auto tune, etc. and think “Jay-Z influence”.