How To Bench Press With Proper Form

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:sadcam: Hurt my shoulder doing bench press. I dunno if i'll ever bench again.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
He forgot to add some crucial info.. like inhale on the way down and exhale on the way up. And keeping your feet square and flat on the floor with a slight arch in your back. I was a powerlifter throughout high school and college. one of the top 10 females in the state :jawalrus:

I'm trying to figure out what he means by not having your shoulders squared out. His grip seems about the same both ways. I have alot of shoulder issues with the bench, so I want to correct that if I can.

Daps
Reppin
midwest
I'm trying to figure out what he means by not having your shoulders squared out. His grip seems about the same both ways. I have alot of shoulder issues with the bench, so I want to correct that if I can.
Basically instead of pointing your elbows out to the side during your reps, point them more towards your feet. That gives you better control and less chance of shoulder injuries. You also get more of a tricep workout by keeping your arms in closer to your body. Hope that helps =) try it out and let me know how it goes

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
Basically instead of pointing your elbows out to the side during your reps, point them more towards your feet. That gives you better control and less chance of shoulder injuries. You also get more of a tricep workout by keeping your arms in closer to your body. Hope that helps =) try it out and let me know how it goes

"torquing" the bar helps w this, focus on trying to "bend" the bar and it helps pull your elbows in closer to your body throughout the rep @Black Ball

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC

"torquing" the bar helps w this, focus on trying to "bend" the bar and it helps pull your elbows in closer to your body throughout the rep @Black Ball

Props on the clarification. I'm going to focus on keeping my elbows in when I bench this Saturday. I've never consciously focused on that or been told to keep my elbows in during my bench. I actually do keep my elbows in on purpose when I do pushups though.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
He forgot to add some crucial info.. like inhale on the way down and exhale on the way up. And keeping your feet square and flat on the floor with a slight arch in your back. I was a powerlifter throughout high school and college. one of the top 10 females in the state :jawalrus:
:noah:

What were your big 3 looking like?`

Hybrinetics

Banned
Daps
Props on the clarification. I'm going to focus on keeping my elbows in when I bench this Saturday. I've never consciously focused on that or been told to keep my elbows in during my bench. I actually do keep my elbows in on purpose when I do pushups though.
You also wanna have your shoulders pulled back as far as they go throughought the whole movement, like you're trying to hold something between your shoulder blades

-G$-

...fresh outta fux...
Supporter
Daps
they make a product called the "slingshot." probably not completely necessary to actually purchase it but if you watch videos of guys benching w it on, and understand essentially what it does for your benching form you should try and concentrate on emulating that.

Amphibious

Land, water, wherever.
Daps

Nah, arch in the back is cheating. Same with using your legs. That's just what people do to cheat their weight up [using other muscles]. You should only be pushing with your chest. Before you all call me a p*ssy my max bench right now is 325 lbs. and ever it was 385. I've never been injured.