How much do you think genetics play in a physique?

Bigsuk

Tha realest n***a
Daps
Depends really what body shape a nikka is after ....:yeshrug: Genetics play a big role ... A good diet , decent lifting 4-5 x a week for an hour each time ...... .... Skin tone helps aswell darker skin casts shadows ... Hence all them bodybuilders slap that hideous fake tan on :bryan::bryan: Been big isn't good for the body in the long run tho ... Huge strain on the heart ... Hence why a lot have heart problems /weight problems wen they get older .... Imagin the rock stopped training for TV/movie roles right now :bryan: he would turn into a big lump ov lard :bryan::krs:

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
I'd say it's at least half the battle. Other half is diet and consistency with your regimen.

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
10% :russ:

No amount of chicken breast is going to change your insertions fam
Depends on what the end goal is, OP didn't state.

If you just want to look in shape and better than 95% of the population, then I stand by my numbers. If you wanna compete or be a fitness model, then yeah genetics plays a larger role for sure.

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
I have great genetics...no matter how much I bulk....my waist stays slim.:dame:

I work very hard in the gym though and I'm OCD with my form for the past 5 years though.:wow:

My diet is meh though....:yeshrug:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Like others said, I think most people can overcome being too skinny or fat with good diet and exercise. But when it comes to getting cut or having definition in certain features, that's genetics. Like my whole family has dope calves/legs. I didn't know men struggled with shytty calves until high school,/college when I saw these chicken legged nikkaz who simply couldn't overcome struggle calves. :scust: Even when I'm out of shape my calves are nice...but abs? Nah...my fam just doesn't have those :francis:

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
10%.

I have "long" biceps. It's difficult for me to get that peak in my bicep. I have big and defined biceps but the peak isn't all that impressive. the Likewise, i've got relatively small calves. Overall I think i've got 7 out of 10 genetics - perhaps 7.5. Put on weight/mass easy, lose weight easy.

If my genetics were better i'd look about 5% better. Little things here and there. For a casual lifter like myself it doesn't matter. But if I competed my weaknesses would have me :sadcam:. It's not the difference between a good and body and an average one. Perhaps people with great genetics have abs at higher %'s but even then when i've seen that the dude plays some type of sport or has a good decent diet and does a crunches.

• Dap

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Like others said, I think most people can overcome being too skinny or fat with good diet and exercise. But when it comes to getting cut or having definition in certain features, that's genetics. Like my whole family has dope calves/legs. I didn't know men struggled with shytty calves until high school,/college when I saw these chicken legged nikkaz who simply couldn't overcome struggle calves. :scust: Even when I'm out of shape my calves are nice...but abs? Nah...my fam just doesn't have those :francis:
Majority of black men have "struggle calves" I found. Calve size is one of the most genetic body areas. I don't think abs are half as genetic. Maybe their appearance/shape but just getting them visible? The combo of working out + body fat makes it fairly straight forward

Daps

My life breh :to:

I got them usain bolt like legs, long Achilles, skinny ankles, skinny calves. Quad and Hamstrings are good though.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Majority of black men have "struggle calves" I found. Calve size is one of the most genetic body areas. I don't think abs are half as genetic. Maybe their appearance/shape but just getting them visible? The combo of working out + body fat makes it fairly straight forward
Nah, not really. Some folks gotta drop so low in body fat that they look weird elsewhere to have a 4/6/8 pack show. Especially women.

• Dap

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Nah, not really. Some folks gotta drop so low in body fat that they look weird elsewhere to have a 4/6/8 pack show. Especially women.
You can't compare men to women man.

If you don't have abs at 10% body fat.... you're not 10% body fat or you have underdeveloped abs.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
You can't compare men to women man.

If you don't have abs at 10% body fat.... you're not 10% body fat or you have underdeveloped abs.
but 10% body fat can end up being too skinny for some folks...

and as a woman, abs definitely are influenced by genetics. i see women the same size, hard everywhere but cant get abs while another chick can have ab definition (not rock hard) even under a layer of fat.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps

and as a woman, abs definitely are influenced by genetics. i see women the same size, hard everywhere but cant get abs while another chick can have ab definition (not rock hard) even under a layer of fat .
How much of that is relative to how they train?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
How much of that is relative to how they train?
no clue...but people carry fat differently, especially women, even if they're the same BF.%. an hourglass or pear shaped woman will have less fat around her abs that someone more straight, and apples and triangles will carry most their weight in their midsection or upper body. those genetics alone will shape their ability to get defined abs, an apple would have to drop to drastically low BF% to get the abs an hourglass can get at a higher BF. i see this with men as well, men with a more tapered torso get abs easier or achieve more definition than dudes who are broader

like look at this pic of bey from bootylicious (01?), she's clearly in shape but not super skinny like she was in 06/07 (second pic)....her abs didn't get crazy defined even tho she went from a size 6/8 to a 2/4... those who can get them further have the combined effect of extremely low BFplus the genetics for them to get more defined.
then+and+now+bootlicious.jpg

Beyonce_Knowles_Hot_Bikini_00.jpg

Last edited:
  • Dap

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps

and as a woman, abs definitely are influenced by genetics. i see women the same size, hard everywhere but cant get abs while another chick can have ab definition (not rock hard) even under a layer of fat.

Can't speak for women. But issue A is related to muscle mass.