How long should you wait to call an album classic?

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
If you have to 'argue' your personal opinions with someone else, then you're an unlettered fool.

A classic is not a personal opinion, it's a consensus from the vast majority of the audience.

fundz

Pro
Daps
A classic is not a personal opinion, it's a consensus from the vast majority of the audience.

Says who, though? You?

I'd define a 'classic' in terms of music as something historically memorable for whatever reason. Could be to a group of people or just an individual. For the most part, our cultural reference points differ. So it's pretty fukking pointless debating.

The vast majority of people on this board might consider Joe Budden's Mood Muzik 2 a classic, but that don't make it one cause to another hip-hop listener it might be the most depressing listening experience ever. Like I said, renown aside...politics and bullshyt aside...a classic to you is a classic to you. End of story.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Says who, though? You?

I'd define a 'classic' in terms of music as something historically memorable for whatever reason. Could be to a group of people or just an individual. For the most part, our cultural reference points differ. So it's pretty fukking pointless debating.

The vast majority of people on this board might consider Joe Budden's Mood Muzik 2 a classic, but that don't make it one cause to another hip-hop listener it might be the most depressing listening experience ever. Like I said, renown aside...politics and bullshyt aside...a classic to you is a classic to you. End of story.
That's a personal classic, for personal reasons.
Now a hiphop classic is another thing. Not according to me, according to history of hiphop.

Now the word classic has been abused, assaulted, murked millions of times, so people forgot the true meaning of it, not only did we forget but we killed the meaning. There is no real meaning for classic in 2012. Today a classic might be just good music that's old. People call anything that dropped in the 90s that was above average classics. Some cats call anything that's dope classic, some people call something that's 4.5 mics classic even if it's a day old. Today there is also a lot of generation clashes. Like when Dre and Snoop came out with their classics that defined a whole era of hiphop, New York based media gave them 3.5-4.5 mics, cause they couldn't understand it like the west coast cats understood it. Nowadays we have old cats who might not understand ASAP Rocky or Odd Future. So I think the word classic pretty much is dead until we breakdown hiphop in different sub-genres. Cause there is too many styles in hiphop today for people to get a general consensus like in the 90s.

I wish we still had a "Bible" like the source, where they even went back and upped the mics to classic of the albums that took some time to earn it's stripes.
Cause today most people who heard Common's Be can agree on that it is a 5 mic album, but will it be remembered as a classic? Idk, cause it's not set in stone in any credible hiphop magazine cause there is no credible hiphop magazine.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Some of you guys are mixing personal classic with classic. Take an album like Illmatic. Like Nas hate Nas you cannot deny the impact and influence combined with quality that help make it classic.

A personal classic to me is Section 80. Will it stand the test of time? Will it have any sort of influence on the genre? As time goes the audience decides what's classic. Calling the album classic though would be unfair and a part of my own bias. The biggest current offender is Life Is Good. I enjoyed the album and found few flaws but it wouldn't be right to call it classic. We have to give it time to earn the title. Say you like it, say it's Nas best album since IWW, say it's a 5/5 album but it cannot be called a classic yet. We have no idea how it will affect the current landscape, if it's changed the direction of hip-hop, or if it's going to influence the next generation of artist.

In short: Personal Classic doesn't=Classic, Albums have to be given time to earn the title of Classic. Otherwise the word means nothing and it's unfair and a slap in the face to the artist who put the work in and have the privilege to be remembered as a stepping stone in the genre.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
^^^ yep

like kush & oj was a personal classic for me. it was the soundtrack to my summer in 2010. in 10 years will people look back and say it was a game changing work of music? maybe, maybe not. but the impact it had on me will definitely last forever.

a classic album would be something like the documentary. when it dropped i loved that album but more importantly EVERYONE loved that album. it was the best album to drop outta the west coast in a looong time and is one of the best albums of the g-unit run.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
No, its a personal opinion
How is that? If it made the impact, if it influenced the game, if everyone :cheers: it, even the non-believers recognized it's greatness. It's not a classic?
Just a classic in certain people opinion, the impact is just an impact in certain peoples opinion, the influence is just influence in certain people opinion?

Michael Jordans Flu Game was not a classic? Or the game 5 and 6 of that series? It's just a classic finals series in certain peoples opinion?

Thriller is just a classic in certain peoples opinion?

fundz

Pro
Daps
That's a personal classic, for personal reasons.
Now a hiphop classic is another thing. Not according to me, according to history of hiphop.

Music is about as personal an experience as it gets. Bona-fide Hip-hop classics by all standards, put in a broader musical spectrum, usually would amount to no more than generation-based, personal classics anyway due to the genre's overall youth and minority in the great scheme of things. It's way too early in the game to start referencing and deferring to authority like there truly is one.

Today a classic might be just good music that's oldPeople call anything that dropped in the 90s that was above average classics.

Some people stay stuck in the 90's, man. That's what i meant by different cultural reference points. I know a kid who still reveres graffiti, collects CD's and bumps Big L no end. He's like 30. Classic scenario of how relative music is and why it's so pointless debating what's a masterpiece and what's above-average. Yeah, I'd agree that Livestylez was no more than above-average music at best....but don't tell him that lol

So I think the word classic pretty much is dead until we breakdown hiphop in different sub-genres. Cause there is too many styles in hiphop today for people to get a general consensus like in the 90s.

I wish we still had a "Bible" like the source, where they even went back and upped the mics to classic of the albums that took some time to earn it's stripes.
Cause today most people who heard Common's Be can agree on that it is a 5 mic album, but will it be remembered as a classic? Idk, cause it's not set in stone in any credible hiphop magazine cause there is no credible hiphop magazine.

:huhldup: @ all of that. lol, no offense, but anyone who looks to a fanzine to tell 'em what's classic to their own two ears and what's not is about as naive as they come. Again, no offense.

Hip-hop started out as a movement. Now it's simply a business. The togetherness and oneness is long gone. No one's 'representin'' anymore, everyone's just doing their own thing, it's got a way broader diversity of artists, cultures and fan bases than it did in the 90's. It grew like everyone knew it would. You seem flustered at all the change.

Air Nikes N Hats

Poor mans Johnny Football Lifestyle!
Daps
Reppin
SINY!!
-A 3 to 5 year wait in my opinion. Plus it all depends on the time/era it was released, etc. It also needs to have the sort of impact that can shift music in a different direction (not in a commercial way, but in a way where say someone takes an album like the Blueprint, and can create something that artistically is as similiar and solid, and possibly builds on it)

Daps
Reppin
401 Prov City

idk i agree and disagree...

i mean some albums i might think are classics might not be to the next man... music is subjective...but at the same time to earn the word classic which gets so carelessly thrown around these days it kinda does need consensus from a majority

Karamellion

Shucks It's Crazy
Daps
Reppin
Gizzy, Aotearoa
There shouldn't be any time restrictions, 'classic' is all a matter of personal preference. Just because there's 5 other dudes out there agree with you that *insert rappers name*'s latest effort is a classic doesn't mean shyt. It's all on you.

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Classics is all personal preference, to me, Reflection Eternal is a classic album, I remember being a youngin and jamming to it on my walkman, and that whole middle school year for me. Now to a lot of people, Reflection Eternal is just another album, an album that doesn't even get looked at.

Jigsaw2347

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
South Bend, Indiana
Personally, I can usually tell if an album is classic from the get go..because I'll continually play it and never grow tired of it, but instead it gets better with each listen..

I think a classic album has a certain vibe that extends throughout every song..every song is flawless and is cohesive with the other tracks. Sometimes it does take time to determine whether an album's classic or not though..