How long should you wait to call an album classic?

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
first off i hate the use of the word classic to talk about more than maybe 20-30 hip hop albums period. and more so the heavy use of it on the coli :smh: it should be reserved for albums that transcend the current style and defines a generation, not just albums that are good.

but imo u gotta wait at least a year maybe more to call an album classic. something is classic cuz it stands the test of time, not cuz its a great album. there's plenty of great music out there, but not all of it is still listened to and talked about 5-10 years later.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
5 years is fair enough. If it still resonates after 5-6 years it should get props. But sometimes the impact of an album can be so large that it can be called classic alot sooner. I think people get to hung up on the word classic. alot of classic shyt aint perfect. Master P's Ghetto D is a classic.

Some classics transcend genres, some are timeless and some capture a particular time and place. Some classics have an instant impact, some are classic for what they represent in the career of the artist. Theres alot of albums that I dont even think is that good but I acknowledge they are classic for different reasons.

Thats the point I was tryna make in that other thread, a classic isn't neccissrily a masterpiece (although it does help). A classic album and a 5 mic/star classic are two different things but they are both classic.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
5 years is fair enough. If it still resonates after 5-6 years it should get props. But sometimes the impact of an album can be so large that it can be called classic alot sooner. I think people get to hung up on the word classic. alot of classic shyt aint perfect. Master P's Ghetto D is a classic.

Some classics transcend genres, some are timeless and some capture a particular time and place. Some classics have an instant impact, some are classic for what they represent in the career of the artist. Theres alot of albums that I dont even think is that good but I acknowledge they are classic for different reasons.

Thats the point I was tryna make in that other thread, a classic isn't neccissrily a masterpiece (although it does help). A classic album and a 5 mic/star classic are two different things but they are both classic.

c/s this whole post, especially the bolded

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I don't think that there is a specific time limit, only time will tell. Different albums have different types of impact and influence on the game.

Like when Jeezy dropped TM101 it wasn't a classic at first, a lot of cats were hating. After a while people started appreciating him when they started to understand the movement, when they saw that a new clone was poppin up every month. How everyone were starting with that emphasis on the ad-libs and all that.

BAMBINO

100% pure uncut fukkery
Daps
Reppin
CHI-Town
[Ross Stan]After I read the tracklist and heard 10 seconds snippets[/Ross Stan]

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I believe until you feel it's classic. Sometimes you get an instant classic, rarely I call an album classic, but I can't lie to myself if I feel it, but I'm cautious about giving an album that status.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
for me it takes just 1 listen..engage with the production and the artist's presentation.

a true definition of a classic.

My sister bought Thriller and played it..she couldn't go past the third joint..after that she worshipped that piece of greatness!!!

fundz

Pro
Daps
How long "should" you wait? A classic, to you, is a classic, to you, b...ain't no rules or set time periods for describing how you personally feel about something and especially a work of art..if it strikes a chord in you and you're inclined to label it a classic upon first listen, what's the crime in that? Speak your mind cause everything else is just politics and bullshyt..

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
for me it takes just 1 listen..engage with the production and the artist's presentation.

a true definition of a classic.

My sister bought Thriller and played it..she couldn't go past the third joint..after that she worshipped that piece of greatness!!!

u can't label a album a classic after only one listen Man :childplease:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I say a year. If you can go back and bump a album fully a year after it release, then you have a strong argument.

fundz

Pro
Daps
If you have to 'argue' your personal opinions with someone else, then you're an unlettered fool.