How do you feel about IIFYM

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I like the concept but counting when you're making your own meals at home becomes a burdensome pain in the ass REAL quick. I tried real hard though...I really did. Now I just try to find some happy medium and make sure I have protein with every meal/snack. Yesterday I had pan seared tilapia and cut up apples as a snack. I KNOW that fit my macros but don't ask any details.

Daps
You don't put 83 octane in a Ferrari.

Sometimes I like to eat gummy bears and pop tarts so I blame it on IIFYM when it's really poor dedication to my diet. I don't admit that though, its all IIFYM fault in my book.

I think IIFYM gets a bad wrap though, say you have a 3500 calorie diet and you eat a typical "clean" chicken and broccoli diet for 3000 cals, then you have ice cream, that puts you around 3500 cals. I don't think that has any effect on body comp or gains. It's when dudes replace all veggies with gummy bears and pop tarts and wonder why they have no energy, can't push any weight in the gym and look like poptart fitness after lifting for 3 years, they blame IIFYM.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
You don't put 83 octane in a Ferrari.

Sometimes I like to eat gummy bears and pop tarts so I blame it on IIFYM when it's really poor dedication to my diet. I don't admit that though, its all IIFYM fault in my book.

I think IIFYM gets a bad wrap though, say you have a 3500 calorie diet and you eat a typical "clean" chicken and broccoli diet for 3000 cals, then you have ice cream, that puts you around 3500 cals. I don't think that has any effect on body comp or gains. It's when dudes replace all veggies with gummy bears and pop tarts and wonder why they have no energy, can't push any weight in the gym and look like poptart fitness after lifting for 3 years, they blame IIFYM.

thats the thing

the only people who say all that are people who dont practice IIFYM

most people who practice IIFYM eat well

and furthermore, in order to meet the macros, its veeerrry hard to eat shyt like that on a regular basis anyways

on bb.com its basically psmf/IF snobs that cant envision another way to diet other than their own :ehh: both work but id be hardpressed to find a normal guy who would fast indefinitely

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I like the concept but counting when you're making your own meals at home becomes a burdensome pain in the ass REAL quick. I tried real hard though...I really did. Now I just try to find some happy medium and make sure I have protein with every meal/snack. Yesterday I had pan seared tilapia and cut up apples as a snack. I KNOW that fit my macros but don't ask any details.

How is it difficult?

You should be able to get in range fairly easily :comeon:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
How is it difficult?

You should be able to get in range fairly easily :comeon:

I never said it was difficult, I said it was a pain in the ass. If you're using one or two ingredients fine, but for dinners I found it more trouble than it's worth. Guessing is same as not bothering at all (to me) and just eating a reasonable portion with most of it being protein and I try to eat no more than 8oz at one meal. Way less hassle to me but if counting worked for you, then cool.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I never said it was difficult, I said it was a pain in the ass. If you're using one or two ingredients fine, but for dinners I found it more trouble than it's worth. Guessing is same as not bothering at all (to me) and just eating a reasonable portion with most of it being protein and I try to eat no more than 8oz at one meal. Way less hassle to me but if counting worked for you, then cool.

Actually I know what you mean now.

my tuna salad is like 7 entries on myfitnesspal :skip:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
thats why its easier to eat out on IIFYM :skip: when i cook they are usually very simplistic meals

meat, vegetable, starch

rinse repeat

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
thats why its easier to eat out on IIFYM :skip: when i cook they are usually very simplistic meals

meat, vegetable, starch

rinse repeat

That's what I was thinking initially but when I read her post it made sense

AJW

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Berkshire, England
It's a highly flawed concept as it doesn't take in to consideration the hormonal response your body has to these ingredients.

Eat foods that contain a single ingredient. For example, brocolli is broccolli and steak is steak.

hawaii

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I lean heavily towards IIFYM as opposed to eating clean. Truth is, the "correct" or best way is somewhere in between. There is no need to eat absolutely "clean" and at the same time, just because it fits macros, doesn't mean you should fill your diet up with it.

I eat lots of donuts smh.. but at the same time I'm finding ways to get micros via throwing in some fruits when I eat greek yogurt (which is prob a clean food, right?) and veggies when I eat beef/chicken etc.

If you're dieting (or eating to drop fat, I should say), then you should eat in a way that is sustainable long term. You should try to eat the same stuff for when you're cutting/maintaining/bulking imo...

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Been flexible dieting for a bit now. Was fasting with it but I just use a shake in the am so I'm not scrambling to eat all my cals later on. Tracking macros has made me more aware of things but simplified eating most days for me.
I use certain ratios m-th *most recent* (225p/100c/85f) and fri-sun(225p/200c/65f) in my fat secret app. I rock with chipotle and a few spots most days at work/home. I have coupons for most things so it's cheaper than meal prepping or on par with it most days. I throw in shakes for breakfast to hit my protein target with meals. I save most to all of my carbs for later in the day even if I workout in the morning. I'm on a cut right now so I went from 217 to about 205. Cutting until I'm satisfied and then I'll maintain a happy medium. Probably my favorite method overall since I don't really feel restricted. I can go to a bbq and make things work. My higher carb days are lower fat but I can get away with a Rice Krispie treat if I want a fun snack. Most days are usually food driven because I'd rather waste carbs on rice/bread/pasta. I had a young bul in my office adjust my cals a bit and he suggested the high low split and makes adjustments for me when needed.

Last edited:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
For me, it's not worth the effort in cataloging everything like that.

I'm losing weight and getting more cut just by changing my diet overall. I've started prepping food and eating in for almost every meal. Just staples like chicken, lean beef, fish + veggies (asparagus, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc) for dinner/lunches. Breakfast is either toast+PB & fruit or oatmeal/protein powder/fruit or yogurt/protein/fruit.

It works for me and I don't bog myself down with over-concern about hitting specific targets in anything.

I'm not hating on those who do this, I have incredible respect for that dedication. I'm just saying that you can get great results WITHOUT it.

Holy shyt, I can't believe this was something I wrote. I still agree with it, except now i've lived into MyFitnessPal nearly every day for close to 4 years :russ:

IIFYM rules