How Do You Feel About Directors Not Writing Their Own Screenplays?

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Directors with a vision are needed. I'm mean the job influential dogs like Tarantino, Kubrick and Nolan.

I, personally, wouldn't feel comfortable directing someone's script because it isn't the screenwriter's vision anymore. I would do it if the money is there but still ehh.

As I write a shoot script since I will primarily fund, direct and score my first joint it's a way my film must be shot. I don't think anyone would get close to my vision. Learning how to articulate that vision is dope. However, I got a joint I will sell. I wish I got into this earlier instead of chasing my first pursuit of being a record producer.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
A lot of directors don't direct scripts they write but it doesn't mean they don't have a vision. And they definitely have input on said scripts in one way or another. Hitchcock didn't write his scripts but there's no question the influence he had on his movies and on the scripts themselves

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
No she was against directors writing their own screenplays

But from what I've noticed black filmmakers usually have to write their own screenplays
Spike,John,Ava,Ryan
i know. I am asking why she says that.

As far as black directors haven't to write scripts depends on the scripts marketed. I'm sure screenwriters are trying to write the next blockbuster and the market isn't overflowing with scripts about the black experience so black filmmakers have to write them themselves. It explains why black filmmakers filmographies are not as big along with the funding. However, people like Spike, Singleton, etc. who have money should be pumping out content frequently because with technology films can be made cheaper. Especially black films. They have names so they can dedicated talent to work for a few hundred for the experience and credit alone. They should been training and snatching up young talents to write them screenplays.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Directors with a vision are needed. I'm mean the job influential dogs like Tarantino, Kubrick and Nolan.

I, personally, wouldn't feel comfortable directing someone's script because it isn't the screenwriter's vision anymore. I would do it if the money is there but still ehh.

As I write a shoot script since I will primarily fund, direct and score my first joint it's a way my film must be shot. I don't think anyone would get close to my vision. Learning how to articulate that vision is dope. However, I got a joint I will sell. I wish I got into this earlier instead of chasing my first pursuit of being a record producer.

Once you start working with bigger budgets and answering to producers it is not entirely your vision anymore. But goodluck with that.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Once you start working with bigger budgets and answering to producers it is not entirely your vision anymore. But goodluck with that.
That's with anything. Use someone's money, you're submitting power.

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Even if they didn't write it themselves, the result is always their vision of the screenplay (producer and studio interference notwithstanding). You let Woody Allen, Takeshi Kitano and Martin Scorsese direct the same scene written by someone else, and you're going to get three completely different scenes in terms of pacing, atmosphere, everything. That's vision.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Couldn't care less. Directing and writing it all down are 2 different skills. And directors do so much reworking with just about anything they're given that you might as well give them co-author credits on anything they touch.

Have to respect someone who can do both, though.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If I'm not mistaken only film of his that Spielberg actually wrote was Close Encounters. Doesn't mean all of his films aren't his vision.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Even if they didn't write it themselves, the result is always their vision of the screenplay (producer and studio interference notwithstanding). You let Woody Allen, Takeshi Kitano and Martin Scorsese direct the same scene written by someone else, and you're going to get three completely different scenes in terms of pacing, atmosphere, everything. That's vision.
That's true. Also, different casting and team.