How do y'all feel between IMAX and LIEMAX?

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
I still go see the regular version of all movies. 3d does nothing for me, and you just cant finesse me with a liemax when i know where the real one is (i just dont feel like driving to it)

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
They are LieMax, Smithsonian has true Imax. Udvar Hazy Center and the Ones in DC are True Imax.
According to the chart. The udvar is the best kind

IMAX with Laser

In 2015, Imax Corporation began the rollout of its next-generation digital projection system, which uses two Barco 4K laser-illuminated projectors. It has an aspect ratio of 1.43, achieved with a vertical anamorphic stretch of the standard 1.9-ratio 4K image. It is designed to replace 15/70 film projection in the largest IMAX theaters, with screens over 80 feet (24 meters) wide.

imax-laser-projection-imagelr.jpg

While the one in DC is the original. But not updated

Originally developed by the Imax Corporation in 1970, this format uses 70mm film run through the projector horizontally, so that the width of the film is the height of the frame. In all other LF and conventional formats, the film runs vertically, so that the width of the film is the width of the frame.

Each frame is 15 perforations wide, hence 15/70. The area of the frame is about 52mm high by 70mm wide (2 inches by 2.75 inches).

The 15/70 frame is almost nine times larger than the conventional 35mm frame (below). It is slightly less than twice as large as 8/70.

Imax Corp. was long the exclusive maker of 15/70 projectors and cameras, although a few other manufacturers briefly made 15/70 systems.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I've read about a screen door effect on the picture with some of these liemax theaters. Has anyone experienced that?

I've only experienced this when they would play non-optimized IMAX movies on the screen years back (during special premieres, festivals, whatever) and for some reason I can remember that it was really noticeable in Iron Man 2 (probably due to poor optimization).

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
how bad was the clarity?

You mean for IM2 or in general? Outside of the screen-door effect being pretty visible, everything else was fine. And like I said, I've only noticed any issues years back when IMAX first started getting big and every studio started forcing IMAX releases. Kinda like when 3D got big and studios started rushing 3D post-conversion to get in on the hype and make them shyts unwatchable.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
You mean for IM2 or in general? Outside of the screen-door effect being pretty visible, everything else was fine. And like I said, I've only noticed any issues years back when IMAX first started getting big and every studio started forcing IMAX releases. Kinda like when 3D got big and studios started rushing 3D post-conversion to get in on the hype and make them shyts unwatchable.

so glad that bullshyt died down

FLATOP

Superstar
Daps
neither are. Def not the Hoffman's.

THe Smithsonian theaters are the only ones in the area.
I saw Godzilla imax at the Hoffman and the lizard looked actual size

Seemed worth it to me:yeshrug:

Maybe Im a sucker

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
fukk LIEMAX. Just pay for the normal theater and sit closer.

IMAX, when the film was shot in IMAX, is a fukking incredible experience.

I will never forget watching gravity at the Navy Pier IMAX :banderas:

I was flicking through channels the other day and saw it on HBO and turned it off within seconds :scust:

Just didn't compare.

The only other movies I've ever seen in IMAX are Michael Jordan to the max and avatar and interstellar