How do y'all feel about people that want to give pointers at the gym?

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
At my gym twice in the past few months, a couple of different people came up to me to tell me better ways to maximize my reps or some slightly different form. I'm not a dikk about it and usually just take it in and tell them thanks. This one cac said he used to be Florida's Mr. Olympia years ago and just likes to help people out in the gym.

It's funny because I see people at the gym all the time doing some horrible form type of lifting and I be sitting there like :dahell: but don't go say anything. I just think to myself "this dumb mothafukka is wasting his time with this shyt." And I pride myself on looking at videos and taking pointers in order to perfect my form for every lift.

Do y'all just take the good advice and apply if you feel, or just be like "whatever mothafukk, fukk you make me take my headphones off for!"

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
When I was younger, some juiced up motherfuccer came up to me and told me tricep kickbacks were a waste of time:russ:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I usually take it.

It was someone in the gym that told me I was doing the buttwink (no homo) at the bottom of my squats.

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
I don't mind it, 3 weeks ago some guy came up to me and told me I was doing the lunge wrong and showed me how to do it the right way, he was nice and cool about it so I don't mind that.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Just yesterday I saw a kid doing 1/4 rep weighted dips. Strong breh pulled him to the side and explained shyt to him and he got right

Me personally though, I mind my business. If people want to waste their time they can waste their time. I feel like I would come across like an a$$hole anyway.

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
Lowkey the cac didn't respect your physique nor your form. :pachaha:

I haven't been approached about my form since my first year of lifting...it's usually nikkas asking for advice and asking if I train. :sas2:

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Lowkey the cac didn't respect your physique nor your form. :pachaha:

I haven't been approached about my form since my first year of lifting...it's usually nikkas asking for advice and asking if I train. :sas2:
Not at all. I have one of the better physiques you'd find there. He was just talking to be about getting lower on the squat and suggesting I could isolate the leg workouts to get maximum effect. He went on a little too long so I had to cut him short to get back to my workout, but it was helpful.

Daps
The issue isn't about whether to give tips or not but rather, HOW to give tips. Some ppl are dikks about it and others are very friendly, cool and you can tell they genuinely want to help you out.

It also depends on the gym culture. Like at the gym I go to it is very isolating, and talking to somebody else much less giving them a tip is unusual. So I would personally not do it. But then again, why would I even give a tip in the first place, I succk!

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
I only gave advice once and it was to a kid that was doing something backwards and I thought he was gonna hurt himself

Besides that I mine my business and I don't give a fukk if it's The Rock don't give me pointers on shyt cuz I won't take it out of spite if you interrupt me

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I feel like I would come across like an a$$hole anyway.
Same here.

But I see so many people with terrible form. Of course their form is terrible because they're lifting too much weight, and nobody likes hearing that. It tends to come off as you're saying they're weak. It's mentally tough to work out at lower levels than everyone else. You really have to comfortable with yourself and most people aren't, regardless of their level of experience.

With that said, I don't mind helping out younger kids. Though I will immediately point out bad leg press form because I don't wanna be there when someone's knee pops out.