How do Surround sound 7.1 headphones compare to SPEAKERS?

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
You wouldn't because they don't work or you wouldn't because you have an extravagant setup and can't go back

Mostly because they don't work well. Well, at least in my opinion. EDIT: In my opinion, real 5.1 is better than virtual 7.1 as far as headphones go.

The best simulating ones I had were an old wireless Logitech pair I had (G930). But even those were not even close to real surround.

Astros have been good by my ear too, but they're too expensive for what they offer. I haven't dove into the $300 and up range. I don't think I'd find anything to be honest.

The most I've spent is $225. I returned it quick. In comparison the G930s I paid $60 for. Dolby and wireless too plus having offered the most believable faux surround.

I'd love to find an actual great pair though. Actual good fake surround. But it gets expensive trying so many. :francis:

Last edited:

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
The PlayStation golds aimt all that to me. But i imagine it works better for some than others :yeshrug:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Mostly because they don't work well. Well, at least in my opinion. EDIT: In my opinion, real 5.1 is better than virtual 7.1 as far as headphones go.

The best simulating ones I had were an old wireless Logitech pair I had (G930). But even those were not even close to real surround.

Astros have been good by my ear too, but they're too expensive for what they offer. I haven't dove into the $300 and up range. I don't think I'd find anything to be honest.

The most I've spent is $225. I returned it quick. In comparison the G930s I paid $60 for. Dolby and wireless too plus having offered the most believable faux surround.

I'd love to find an actual great pair though. Actual good fake surround. But it gets expensive trying so many. :francis:
Well like all things advancements have been made, if you tried spatial audio what do you think about it? And if not, let us know when you do :handshake:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-dolby-atmos-vs-windows-sonic

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Well like all things advancements have been made, if you tried spatial audio what do you think about it? And if not, let us know when you do :handshake:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-dolby-atmos-vs-windows-sonic

I've tried spacial audio and that's a better solution from the old methods. Arguably the best for simple stereo. In fact, I think I posted on it before that the best way is to have software and audio track in tune with trying to do a fake surround setup. At least pitching and such is built in to the audio track and sent rather than just a filter across all of it to do surround.

Not sure how backwards compatible it is. I'll have to look into it. But IMO 5.1 is still the best variant for headphones. Too bad it is uncommon. You can easily fit that setup into cans, and you still get two left and right channels each plus the sub. No specialty software needed like Atmos and you'll have a good time with 7.1 downmixed if there's no native 5.1 support.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
I've tried spacial audio and that's a better solution from the old methods. Arguably the best for simple stereo. In fact, I think I posted on it before that the best way is to have software and audio track in tune with trying to do a fake surround setup. At least pitching and such is built in to the audio track and sent rather than just a filter across all of it to do surround.

Not sure how backwards compatible it is. I'll have to look into it. But IMO 5.1 is still the best variant for headphones. Too bad it is uncommon. You can easily fit that setup into cans, and you still get two left and right channels each plus the sub. No specialty software needed like Atmos and you'll have a good time with 7.1 downmixed if there's no native 5.1 support.
I'm not an expert on how shyt used to sound, but the article says the technology is better via spatial so there's hope you're wrong :to:

I love it personally

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
the fukk is wrong with your autistic ass breh? :dahell:
If you reread his response, he basically trashed the tech then said he'd use it if it was wireless. So I was like :dahell: and the rest of the convo flowed as it did. Now that you're caught up I hope, you enjoy the rest of your Saturday :win:

I'm living my best life :mj:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Ignoring bass and treble, you end up hearing every composition of said song. And I mean everything. You can of course get the same effect, with cheapish headphones. A crisp sound is like good video game graphics these days, everyone has it. The expensive brands and all that, just focus on a particular tone; bass, treble, etc. For example; The beats are clear as everything on the market, they're just toned for more bass. Everything else in the 100+ range is either bluetooth, noise canceling, metal, leather or some other nonsense. You want great sound and clarity? get in-ear Earbuds.

Noise canceling only gets rid of 70% of all outside noise, you can still hear yourself breathe, etc. Just get some nice in-ear buds. Mine are 20-30 dollar Sony MRX's (No extra bass) and some 15-20 dollar noise isolating ones for backup. All I need. And this is coming from a guy who has a friend who is an audiophile, and bought these...www.amazon.com/dp/B0784WRPRS/ref=twister_B0195TIF30?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Don't do it to yourselves, just looks for noise isolating, and something cheap.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Ignoring bass and treble, you end up hearing every composition of said song. And I mean everything. You can of course get the same effect, with cheapish headphones. A crisp sound is like good video game graphics these days, everyone has it. The expensive brands and all that, just focus on a particular tone; bass, treble, etc. For example; The beats are clear as everything on the market, they're just toned for more bass. Everything else in the 100+ range is either bluetooth, noise canceling, metal, leather or some other nonsense. You want great sound and clarity? get in-ear Earbuds.

Noise canceling only gets rid of 70% of all outside noise, you can still hear yourself breathe, etc. Just get some nice in-ear buds. Mine are 20-30 dollar Sony MRX's (No extra bass) and some 15-20 dollar noise isolating ones for backup. All I need. And this is coming from a guy who has a friend who is an audiophile, and bought these...www.amazon.com/dp/B0784WRPRS/ref=twister_B0195TIF30?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Don't do it to yourselves, just looks for noise isolating, and something cheap.
Gonna have to disagree. I have Sennheiser HD800s, Astro A50s, Parrot Zik 3, Shure SE846 IEM, V-Moda crossfade 2 wireless cans, and two headphone amps/dacs. The clarity from the Sennheise HD800s is unparalleled. It is so much clearer than my other cans. Bass is a difficult thing to recreate. In my experience you can either go with quantity (like the Beats), or quality (like the Shure 846s). I haven’t been able to find a pair of cans that can do both quality and quantity at the same time. Supposedly the Focal Utopias can do it, but those cost $4000 and you need a $1000 headphone amp, so I haven’t been able to try them. Maybe one day :sadcam: